1. For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TCF will be undergoing a scheduled software and server upgrade on September 26, 2019 beginning at 9:00AM GMT. TCF may be unavailable for an extended period after this time. More information can be found here. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause, we will try to keep the downtime short.

Comments on Profile Post by Xylia

1. Xylia
    Xylia
    Scientific calculators will tell you the answer is 9. This is wrong, because they erroneously substitute brackets for multiplcation symbols. You obviously evaluate 1+2 first, and you come up with 6/2(3). What calculators (and teachers) will do, is change that to 6/2*3. THIS IS WRONG. You can't do this! I'll tell you why. (cont)
    Mar 18, 2018
  2. Xylia
    Xylia
    Let's convert this to a logical problem, first. Let's say you have 6 people (the 6 in the problem). You have a Pair (the 2) of: 1 Apple, 2 Oranges (the 1+2). Since you have a pair of apples, you have 2 apples, and you have a pair of 2 oranges which means 4 oranges. Added together, you have 6 fruit in total. (cont)
    Mar 18, 2018
  3. Xylia
    Xylia
    To distribute the fruit amongst the 6 people evenly, you would have to give each person 1 fruit. Makes sense, right? But no, calculators will tell you the answer is 9. How could the answer be 9 when you started with 6 objects? The reason: They falsely substitute a parenthesis for a *.
    Mar 18, 2018
  4. TriforceShard
    TriforceShard
    I don't see how someone could mess this up. It's basic order of operations. If a calculator gives the wrong answer, it's probably because the equation was entered ambiguously. If you plug 6/(2(1+2)) into the calculator, you get the correct answer of 1. Calculators are dumb, and unable to utilize critical thinking. Therefore, it is up to the user to tell them EXACTLY what they need to do.
    Mar 18, 2018
  5. Xylia
    Xylia
    Well, you have teachers out there saying that "6/2(3) is the same thing as 6/2*3" and PEMDAS states that "If you have equal priorities, you do left-to-right" which means 6/2 should be evaluated before 2*3". But the problem is, 2(3) is not the same as 2*3. Those people are forgetting that 2(1+2) is the same thing as (2+4) which is why 2(3) must be done first.
    Mar 18, 2018
  6. Xylia
    Xylia
    And yes, saying 6/2(1+2) is a horrible way of writing that. needs moar parenthesis. The actual problem you see on youtube videos use that stupid outdated division symbol instead of writing it as a fraction, which is what we SHOULD be doing. I didn't feel like looking up the ALT+ code for it so I used a / instead.
    Mar 18, 2018
  7. Creeper da Snek
    Creeper da Snek
    Additionally (haha), doing 6/2 first is wrong anyway even with PEMDAS; Fractions have invisible parentheses around both the numerator and denominator, meaning you need to evaluate them first before dividing.
    Mar 18, 2018
  8. Xylia
    Xylia
    That's why I hate it when people use that stupid รท symbol for dividing, because it is nearly impossible to see what exactly is the numerator and what is the denominator, but then I don't like using the / symbol either but you kinda need to when typing it on a keyboard. It's better to put the entire numerator and the entire denominator in parenthesis, if you must. Such as 6/(2(1+3)) as someone said above.
    Mar 18, 2018