• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

Search results

1. Nicol Bolas

Terraria State of the Game: February 2020

I don't know; how does Mr. Game and Watch work? It doesn't get more 2D than that. And that character doesn't even represent a specific game, just the concept of "Game and Watch" games. There are a lot of reasons why Terraria doesn't need to be in Smash Bros. The question of what it would...
  2. Nicol Bolas

Terraria State of the Game: February 2020

It should be noted that Minecraft is owned and published by Microsoft, the maker of the X-Box platform. So they basically get to break their own rules whenever they want. When ReLogic launches their own console, then we may see Terraria servers and perhaps even mods.
  3. Nicol Bolas

PC Speculations about the upcoming 'game changer' feature

It's important to remember the quote in question: The key word to me being "approach". That is, it's not a change to a core mechanic per-se; it's a change to how you interact with certain aspects of the game. Imagine if Terraria 1.0-3 never had explosives. Then 1.4 added explosives to the...
  4. Nicol Bolas

That would be pretty incompatible with how Terraria works. Magical weapon damage at present is balanced around the fact that the damage itself is not otherwise special. What's special about magical weapons is how they deal damage, their attack patterns and the fact that most magical weapons...
  5. Nicol Bolas

Wouldn't that just be teleporters, for all intents and purposes? I don't think having teleporters generated by the world substantially change how people play the game. It'd just be a variation on minecarts. And a less interesting one, because you don't get to see the terrain between points A and...
  6. Nicol Bolas

Terraria State of the Game - January 2020

I think it's important to recognize a distinction in intensionality here. I essentially see 4 different ways of expressing intensionality with regards to a game mechanic. The mechanic: 1. Was not placed in the game deliberately, and the developer intends to remove it. AKA: bugs. 2. Was placed...
  7. Nicol Bolas

Now I'm confused. Your initial post suggested that you wanted to (for example) add moves that make knockback-based builds (or however you define "simple Melee cheese") less viable, but you now seem to recognize that Expert Mode already makes knockback-based builds less viable. So... what are you...
  8. Nicol Bolas

Then why would I play a knockback-based melee character? The whole point of knockback-based weapons is being able to force enemies to stay away. If that tactic doesn't work with any reliability, then I may as well abandon the tactic for something that does reliably work. That's what I was...
  9. Nicol Bolas

If the game makes you vulnerable all the time, and the world is always scary... there's no sense of progression. It's all uniformly one note from beginning to end. What makes the end game feel like the end game is that early game content is trivial. It's that you can go back to earlier areas and...
  10. Nicol Bolas

I find the conversation around Master Mode being mainly just a stat change to be fascinating. It's interesting to me because the argument is the opposite about how I feel about Expert Mode. Expert Mode is not a mode I'm interested in playing. Terraria's default difficulty seems just about right...
  11. Nicol Bolas

Funny; I always associated Hives and the Jungle Temple with 1.3. But you're right; they are 1.2 additions.
  12. Nicol Bolas

Considering that we don't know all the content that will be in 1.4, it's a bit strange to say that it won't be close to the size of those releases. In the grand scheme of things, 1.1 wasn't really that big. It gave us all of hardmode, but it did almost nothing for pre-hardmode. Overall, it gave...
  13. Nicol Bolas

Terraria State of the Game: November 2019

But nobody suggested that this was "some horrendous act filled with malicious intent". You have created a strawman version of peoples' complaints. Please stop doing that; engage with the actual complaints. The closest to an accusation of "malicious intent" in this thread was from Nsk1341, whose...
  14. Nicol Bolas

You seem to be of the opinion that, if people are complaining about something, it is only because they don't have something else to do or "can't handle changing those plans" or something of that nature. I find such a sentiment... disappointing. You're effectively telling us why we're feeling the...
  15. Nicol Bolas

The Open Source industry has shown far more flexibility in how software gets made. And not just because they're sharing the software, but because of development methodology. Many Open Source developers have moved towards an ethos of "release early, release often". Now, when it comes to a...
  16. Nicol Bolas

Re-Logic Announces Terraria: Journey's End at E3!

I feel like we're kind of talking past each other. I'll say something like "Significant aspects of the game are built under the assumption that you will have frequent trips back to base," but you seem to read that as "He believes that this sort of play is strictly enforced and required by...
  17. Nicol Bolas

But that's not what I said. Indeed, I never even claimed it was particularly "enjoyable", let alone correct. My point is that the game is designed around it. Significant aspects of the game are built under the assumption that you will have frequent trips back to base. That's not about what's...
  18. Nicol Bolas

Will we be able to reuse worlds in Journey's End?

Well, let's get one issue out of the way: it will be glitched/bugged, because TEdit will take time to be fully compatible with 1.4. ;) However, once the program has been updated to support 1.4, it should be fine. I copied a chunk of a world originally generated in 1.1 into a 1.3 world without...
  19. Nicol Bolas

To me, building a home base is a fundamental aspect of the game. The way the game is structured, the need to have a place to put your stuff comes at around the same time when you can start to benefit from building houses for your NPCs. As such, you tend to build both at the same place and time...
  20. Nicol Bolas

That's not the reason why "higher resolution visuals" aren't going to happen. The game looks the way it does because that's how the developers want it to look. It's an explicit throwback to SNES-era visuals, just done on a much larger scale. Asking for "higher resolution visuals" out of...
Top Bottom