tModLoader 《Dancing with the Dragon mod》-Add a special summoned beast type

Maplecat

Terrarian
Basically I just want to keep dragons that look cool and mighty, and will follow me around and attack other monsters, so this mod project is born!

This mod will add summonable dragons that are suited for all classes, these dragons start as a hatchling from the beginning, but will evolve throughout the game's progression. Although the dragons are designed to suit all classes, each dragon has its own abilities that will be suited to a specific class!
Currently these dragons do not have official names yet, and will be temporarily named according to their respective biomes. Each biome is estimated to have at least one dragon in it.
Only a few dragons have their designs from young to adult finished by me. If you wish to avoid spoilers, please refrain from looking at the designs in this thread!
Once the young forms are almost done, we'll upload a playable version of this mod. Currently there are no recipes to acquire the dragons, as we wish to finish designing them first before deciding on their acquisition methods!
(P.s: the modding team isn't fluent in English, we may have difficulty in understanding)
Welcome to join the "Dancing with the Dragon mod" server: Join the Dancing with the Dragon mod Discord Server!

These dragons count as accessories, and will only appear if equipped in the accessory slots, and they do not take up sentry minion slots. Only one dragon can be equipped at the same time (may be increased to two at later stages, depending on balance issues).

Dragons have four functions: as an accessory they provide stat boosts, and also functions as minions that automatically attack enemies, players can also use them manually to attack enemies, and also use them as sentries.

There will be a wand to direct the dragons to automatically attack targets. The wand has different damage types depending on its function (melee, magic, ranged, summoning), and others time it will inherit the damage type of the player's currently held weapon.

nTZGh3u.png

Dragon Controlling Wand:

Left click: Directs the dragon to attack at the direction you're aiming at. This mode has a higher attack speed, but it is limited by a stamina gauge, once filled to maximum it will become tired, and has to wait for some stamina to recover in order to continue attacking again.

Right click: Summons the dragon as a sentry in the cursor position (the dragon will return to its owner once time is up, or right click again to bring it back earlier).

ZxxzqBi.gif

nEEVVVn.gif

Damage: 18
Accessory: +3 Defense, +0.2 seconds I-frames
Summoned as minion: Throws a large boulder at target, dealing damage. Boulders that hit an enemy or a surface with shatter into smaller rocks that deal damage too.
Manual attack: Same attack as above, but throws a boulder in the direction of your cursor instead.
Sentry: Flies within a certain area and produces rock fragments, dealing damage to enemies who enter. Allied units inside the area receives a temporary buff which increases Defense (has cooldown).
QYhBmIe.jpg

Iu7Dw2J.gif

OfP7wfd.gif

FtNWhbr.gif

Damage: 15
Accessory: +1% Critical Chance, +3% Ranged Damage
Summoned as minion: Fires 3 leaf projectiles at enemies which can pierce enemies.
Manual attack: Fires 3 leaf projectiles in the direction of your cursor instead.
Sentry: Hovers above an area and casts a leaf projectile ring that deals damage to enemies on contact. Allied units inside the area has increased regeneration.

Vn9bLZP.gif

n35uCBy.gif

Accessory: +20 Max Mana, +3% Magic Damage
Summoned as minion: Generate a few icicles around the monster to attack, has 10% chance to inflict Frostburn.
Manual attack: Fires a large ice pillar at direction of cursor, has 30% chance to inflict Frostburn.
Sentry: Summons hail in a certain area. Allied units inside the area has +2% magic damage.
JHiObPW.jpg

JRh4Fsd.gif

q6YhCP6.gif

pmCb1lD.gif

Damage: 15
Accessory: +3% Melee Damage, +20 Max Health
Summoned as minion: Attacks with wind blades that can penetrate enemies, has higher attack speed.
Manual attack: A sandstorm tornado accompanies the dragon, which attacks at the direction of the cursor.
Sentry: Every few seconds, 3 smaller sandstorm tornados are summoned within the area. They chase after enemies and disappear on impact, and reappearing after a while. Allied units inside the area has +3% critical chance.

4NCYk08.gif

xfh4iFJ.gif

Accessory: +3% Damage Reduction, 50% chance to inflict Poisoned with attacks
Summoned as minion: Constantly fires cursed flames at enemies (similar to Spazmatism).
Manual attack: Fires cursed flames which follows the cursor position.
Sentry: Cursed flame balls hover within the area, dealing damage to enemies who enter. Allied units inside the area have their debuffs cleansed (40 second cooldown).

tQhqsw6.gif

kzTzIh3.gif

Acccessory: 3% of damage dealt is converted to lifesteal, +3% attack speed
Summoned as minion: Charges at enemies and knocking them back (can hit multiple enemies), and leaves a trail of blood mist for 3 seconds, dealing damage to enemies who are caught in the mist.
Manual attack: Same attack as above, but charges at cursor position.
Sentry: Surrounds an area with a blood mist, dealing damage to enemies who enter and also inflicting Bleeding to them. Allied units inside the area have 10% chance to dodge attacks.

BjPSUaz.gif

making
FJFqSJE.jpg

IjfJFvB.gif

making

Modding team:
maplecat (sprites, ability design)
SevenSheep (code)

Attachments

• 馴龍仗-大.png
    馴龍仗-大.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,007
Last edited:
I can see some balancing issues... Are Earth and Forest dragon obtained before, during, or after ice and desert dragon? If it is before or during, the sentry attack is way too overpowered. (I would consider giving their attacks extended iFrames to like, 1/2 of a sec) Otherwise, looks great!

I can see some balancing issues... Are Earth and Forest dragon obtained before, during, or after ice and desert dragon? If it is before or during, the sentry attack is way too overpowered. (I would consider giving their attacks extended iFrames to like, 1/2 of a sec) Otherwise, looks great!
We will adjust the balance in the future!
The current setting is to be obtained after defeating Eye of Cthulhu, the first to be obtained are the earth, forest, desert, and snow.

1:When will you be able to get the crimson dragon in progression?
2:Will you be planning other types of dragons? Like maybe some for sub biomes like a spider cave dragon or a granite dragon, or maybe breeding two dragons together like getting a crimson desert dragon. If you arent planning on doing anything like this than no pressure, I don’t want to feel like Im overburdening you.

1:When will you be able to get the crimson dragon in progression?
2:Will you be planning other types of dragons? Like maybe some for sub biomes like a spider cave dragon or a granite dragon, or maybe breeding two dragons together like getting a crimson desert dragon. If you arent planning on doing anything like this than no pressure, I don’t want to feel like Im overburdening you.
1.Crimson Dragon will be available after defeating Brain of Cthulhu.

2.We will consider the sub biomes theme dragon.
The mixing of dragons will result in too many dragons, but maybe there will be some dragon bosses?
There are currently only two production staff, our primary goal now is to complete the basic dragon first.

Oh look, it's a take on 2 ideas that didn't quite make it in the past (a dragon-based mod, and this one mod where you directly controlled a summon with your attacks)
It gets a plus from me because dragons, also improving on Summoner-type gameplay

Oh look, it's a take on 2 ideas that didn't quite make it in the past (a dragon-based mod, and this one mod where you directly controlled a summon with your attacks)
It gets a plus from me because dragons, also improving on Summoner-type gameplay
Yes, when I searched for terraria mods about dragons, I saw an idea of raising dragons, but it seems to have been dead for a long time.
In addition, I like to play summoners, so I plan to make a special summoned beast.

Back
Top Bottom