1-10 FPS with 30 lock. Frame skip is no go.

MajorAFK

Terrarian
To preface, I have looked at the mega thread and followed the generic advice. Made sure all relevant .net and redists are installed. Terraria is a fresh install from Steam, even deleted all files in the documents folder and played with Nvidia control panel settings.
Have also used tricks like, CPU affinity adjustments and system priority. Makes no difference at all.

This PC has run the game fine in the past. I've always been very smooth (almost 600 hours on steam) and always run with frame skip off. Never had to use it. I took about 2 months off the computer, came back and now it's running like it's in slow motion. Turning on frame skip does what it needs to, "somewhat" smooths it out visually. But I'm still getting extremely slow response on things like crafting menu, opening chests, attack and mining input response time. Things that do affect and make gameplay miserable.

In F10, I'm getting 30 (1-10), constantly.

System Specs, before anyone asks:
CPU: I-7 6800K (3.4ghz)
Mobo: x99 SLI Plus
Ram: 32 gigs Corsair vengeance
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 (EVGA variant) - I was using the same drivers I had before. No auto updates. New drivers now, no difference.
HDD: 1 TB Scandisk SSD

When's the last time the game ran smoothly? Do you have a month in mind?

About 8 weeks ago.

Edit: That's about how long of a break I took on the pc. It's been off the entire time, and I don't run automatic updates on anything. So nothing changed in that timeframe.

A bit of a puzzling mystery, since it's unlikely that your system environment changed and Terraria certainly hasn't changed since then. Something is clearly wrong though. You've also done most of the tricks in the book....

Alright, when you messed with the Nvidia control panel settings did you already try forcing vsync off for the program settings for Terraria?

A bit of a puzzling mystery, since it's unlikely that your system environment changed and Terraria certainly hasn't changed since then. Something is clearly wrong though. You've also done most of the tricks in the book....

Alright, when you messed with the Nvidia control panel settings did you already try forcing vsync off for the program settings for Terraria?

If you're talking through the Nvidia control panel, yes. At one point looked in the actual config json just to be sure. Nada. Followed the megathread's suggested (which was my default) and played around with alternate settings for a while.

Not entirely sure what it is. Ran Elite Dangerous earlier in VR running the X52 hotas setup, and had no issues. Terraria is the only thing on the machine that I'm having issues with. Boggles my mind.

What's the refresh rate of your monitor and what are the available options to set the refresh rate at? Let me know if you need assistance in locating this setting.

What's the refresh rate of your monitor and what are the available options to set the refresh rate at? Let me know if you need assistance in locating this setting.

Well, now I feel like a complete moron. Somewhere refresh rate got stuck at 30. Had no clue that could chunk terraria down to under 10fps, nothing else was having issue. Just swapped it to 60Hz and it's running where it needs to. Going to have to keep an eye on it and figure out why it changed in the first place.

Vanilla is holding at 60 with no drops at all, and for grins checked my modded (was doing the same thing), which is sitting at 120, stable.

I'd definitely petition to have that added to the megathread. Completely overlooked it.

Thanks very much the help.

Back
Top Bottom