1.3.0.3 Character and World Corrupted

Well, I tried solution one. My first world, Verde, had no .bak file, so that was a no go. My second world had one, So I tried it. I launched terraria, and started the world. Surprisingly, it launched. But then the game froze and I got two achievements, rock bottom and into orbit, which essentially means my character was flung around the world in an instant. I'm losing hope at this point, especially since it's happened twice and I don't want to lose another world. P.S my worlds crash if I try to enter them, and after trying the fix my world looked the same, saying unknown and showing hollow instead of crimson.
That's scary.

Well my character went blank when I used inventory editor but I think that is fine because I didn't use that character a lot ( seriously guys I'm not cheating right now, it ruined my gameplay)

Also start a fresh character and world. Everytime you done playing, back up your files by copying the .wrld and .plr to another file. So when it corrupts, you can copy your backed up world and replace the corrupted files with the backed up ones.

I don't recommend steam cloud because another thread said this might be the problem.

I got my world back but everything inside is gone ( like buildings or blocks placed ) and my world went back to what it looks like 4 months ago :( .i still have the minimap not updated but when i walk to the places on the map , everything there is gone ! Is there a way to get the info of the world back ?

Those of you with this problem. Have you checked Documents > My Games > Terraria > Players/Worlds to see if the files are still there? They should be named with the extension .plr for player files or .wld for world files. You should also see backup files with the extension .plr.bak (.wld.bak). If you can find these, first make sure the game isn't running. Then try deleting the .plr/.wld file (or moving it elsewhere if you're nervous about deleting it). Finally, rename the .plr.bak (.wld.bak) file as .plr/.wld (just remove .bak from the file name).

Another possible fix would be to simply right click the .plr or .wld file that you're having trouble with and then click Restore previous versions (for Win 7). For Win 8, check this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-use-file-history. I'm less sure about this one, but please give it a shot and let me know if it works.

If you guys can confirm that either or both of these solutions work, we'll be able to help a lot more people with this problem!
My friend had this problem and i tried both steps, and step 1 failed and didn't change anything, but step 2 worked and he now has his world and most progress on it. Thank you for your help.

I have a problem, I know there is the "Restore previous version" But there are no previous versions! The files are STILL there. Also changing .wld.bak to .wld had no effect. Help please? Also, this is the FOURTH world that this has happened to. Every world I play on for about more than 40 hours does this. It is SOOOO Annoying... Character is fine though.

Those of you with this problem. Have you checked Documents > My Games > Terraria > Players/Worlds to see if the files are still there? They should be named with the extension .plr for player files or .wld for world files. You should also see backup files with the extension .plr.bak (.wld.bak). If you can find these, first make sure the game isn't running. Then try deleting the .plr/.wld file (or moving it elsewhere if you're nervous about deleting it). Finally, rename the .plr.bak (.wld.bak) file as .plr/.wld (just remove .bak from the file name).

Another possible fix would be to simply right click the .plr or .wld file that you're having trouble with and then click Restore previous versions (for Win 7). For Win 8, check this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-use-file-history. I'm less sure about this one, but please give it a shot and let me know if it works.

If you guys can confirm that either or both of these solutions work, we'll be able to help a lot more people with this problem!
Hey
I play terraria on a mac.
I check in to my Library and then in to my Steam folder, When I reached my terraria folder,All the folders like the world and the player folders were gone.
This has never occured before.
Also it was a world that was the dearest to me,it had my armors and weapons and everything.
Please help me solve this problem.

By any chance, have you checked your recycle bin? Sometimes deleted content ends up in there.

If you were using Steam Cloud, it may be worth looking into this as well. I'm not 100% sure how the files work on Mac, and these are instructions to find these files on PC, so please bear with me, its possible your files are saved here:

If you go into your Steam folder, open the User Data folder. In there will be one or more folders with random numbers: each of these corresponds to a Steam account used on the system. If there is only one, that is your steam account.

So now that you are in Steam>userdata>(numbered folder), go to the folder labeled 105600 (this is the Terraria folder). If you used Steam cloud, its possible your saves are filed there.

By any chance, have you checked your recycle bin? Sometimes deleted content ends up in there.

If you were using Steam Cloud, it may be worth looking into this as well. I'm not 100% sure how the files work on Mac, and these are instructions to find these files on PC, so please bear with me, its possible your files are saved here:

If you go into your Steam folder, open the User Data folder. In there will be one or more folders with random numbers: each of these corresponds to a Steam account used on the system. If there is only one, that is your steam account.

So now that you are in Steam>userdata>(numbered folder), go to the folder labeled 105600 (this is the Terraria folder). If you used Steam cloud, its possible your saves are filed there.
Wow thankyou.. i found my world but how can i retreve it .... do i copy the player folder and world folder on to the terraria folder in steam apps folder

You move the player and world folder to the one where they are normally saved; on Windows, that is in My Documents>My Games>Terraria, but I guess its different on Mac?

Wherever World/Player folders SHOULD be, copy and paste it there. And turn off Cloud save, which is likely responsible for that happening.

[QUOTE="Those of you with this problem. Have you checked Documents > My Games > Terraria > Players/Worlds to see if the files are still there? They should be named with the extension .plr for player files or .wld for world files. You should also see backup files with the extension .plr.bak (.wld.bak). If you can find these, first make sure the game isn't running. Then try deleting the .plr/.wld file (or moving it elsewhere if you're nervous about deleting it). Finally, rename the .plr.bak (.wld.bak) file as .plr/.wld (just remove .bak from the file name).

If you guys can confirm that either or both of these solutions work, we'll be able to help a lot more people with this problem![/QUOTE]
Sadly, this did not work. I don't own a plr.bak. I also found my Player.bak missing as well if that means anything. Also, my computer doesn't have any file restore history.

I am very disappointed since I was about to end the single player mode and was about to defeat the moon lord. I turned off the game and the next day my steam wasn't logged in automatically as before. I started the game and it was in windowed mode and the default resolution. It seemed that the game set the options back to default. I clicked single player and my main player didn't have an avatar and it had 100 hp and 20mp. I clicked on it and it couldn't start. I tried replacing my .plr file with the .plr.bak without the bak extension and it didn't worked. Also I tried looking for previous versions but no previous versions were found.

This is the second damned time that this has happened. I'm tired of this. I really am. This happened to me before 1.3, when I had spent hundred of hours on my data, and the next day it was all corrupted, usable. So I started again. Spent even more time. And now, today, my main world (luckily none of my other information), is corrupted. I'm sick of this. If Re-Logic doesn't fix this soon, I might just quit Terraria entirely. The last back up I made was more than 2 months ago, and I'm not redoing all that work because of some :red:ty bug.

I have never had a world corrupt on me, most of the time the cause is :

Hardware failure
Closing while saving
Exiting while saving
Cheats, Exploits, Hacks, Mods, Editors
Etc.

Play the game as it came in the box...and this shouldn't happen. Also, make sure to be up-todate with XNA/.NET

Ok, the best solution is to make back ups every as much as possible. I did this, a back-up failed. I used one from a little while earlier. It worked. (You can restore previous versions, but that may be even earlier.)

@1mp0ss18le, @STH135, @Andkon2788, are any of you using Cloud saving for worlds or players? If so, please do not use this feature at this time. It is responsible for recurring corruption issues, and has been known as such for some time.

I have kind of the same problem. If I log out of a world with items other than the beginning copper tools my world and character are corrupted when i try to go back in.
I have or had a main world that this happened to so you are not alone... when you try to start up the world does is spawn you in Hell but you cannot see anything but the backdrop?

I'm not using Cloud saving and I have lost two worlds and a character, the .bak files don't seem to work either.

Im using steam version of terraria, and on 1.3.0.4 update my world save got corrupted (world made in 1.3). so i pirated GoG version of 1.3.0.3 terraria runned the world once (loaded up perfectly), then save and quit to desktop runned steam version of terraria 1.3.0.4 and my world loaded up perfectly. hope this helps somone in need

I'm going to try this, I hope it works!
[doublepost=1467611414,1467610933][/doublepost]
I have or had a main world that this happened to so you are not alone... when you try to start up the world does is spawn you in Hell but you cannot see anything but the backdrop?

I have same problem but it doesn't respawn me anywhere. I can see a tiny part of the top backdrop, but the rest of the screen is black, and I can see my quick keys and then a white window pops up saying "Terraria has stopped working.
Windows is checking for a solution to the problem...."

:( all of my good stuff is in all the chests in that world. Agh

i have now tried both solutions, the world my friend and i own has over 500 hours (no life amirite?) and now everything is gone. Hopefully you guys can come up with a solution or a patch to revise this.

Think I'm having this one, too.
Can I ask how the backup files work? It seems to me (I am NOT a programmer.) That this is caused by crash while saving; does the game try to write it's save files all at the same time? If so, and I guess this would change too much of the core prgramming, could it be changed to write and complete the player file, then world, one backup and finally the other?
Sorry for the long post. I can't remember how many player and world files I've lost... Though, when one gets corrupted the .bak is never there...

Back
Top Bottom