PC 1.3.1 Compact teleportation signal divide

Ranadiel

Terrarian
I have compacted the concept of teleportation from 1 source to 2 destinations. The idea is pretty simple and can be multiplied (experimented yesterday with the design) countless times. You're just limited by space, though the usage is pretty small :)

Terraria_teleport divide.png

HOW IT WORKS:
- INPUT SIGNAL A is wired to the inputs of the logic gates on the right. This signal is directly connected to the SOURCE teleporter (not present here) and was activated.
- Signals B and C define which from the two outputs should be used.

When being ported to the pad from A, the signal activates the upper left logic gate, which in turn enables inputs for the destination logic gates. Depending on which signal is chosen (B or C is active), blue or green wire is moving the player towards the DESTINATION teleporter (not present here) on either of the ends (to the right).

When you activate back from D or E, the lower left logic gate is activated and the red wire sends you back to the SOURCE teleporter.

IN ADDITION:
1. Already tested this solution for stacking this construction one atop another (dividing the base 4 outputs to 8 wires). You can manage all 4 input signal colors (A wire), just have to remember to use different colored wires for D and E, changing if needed input colors for B and C.
2. If you want to stack this design one atop the other, wires B and C will have to be put on either side of this schema (i used the right side) and colors changed through a single input AND gate (or whatever else type).

I will post a screenshot in the evening for the whole compacted set of 4 teleporter signal divide, as well as the teleporter hub.

Presenting screenshots from the wired up mechanisms. I still need to update the teleport hub to make it more compact.

Single Teleport divide.png

Single Teleport divide Wired.png

4 Teleport divide.png

4 Teleport divide Wired.png

Teleport hub with 4 teleport divide.png

Teleport hub with 4 teleport divide Wired.png

World Download? I want to tinker with it a little and see how it works. Im getting really confused now. xD
I'm gonna post the world in my late evening, so around 7 hours from now.

EDIT: Added the world to this post. Inserted some comments on signs to show some basic information on the mechanisms.

At the moment, i'm figuring out different ideas concerning teleporter signal divide (not 1 input into 2 outputs, but 1 input into 4 outputs) and how to rework the teleporter hub to be more compact and refined. Each of the ideas is built on my world, so the new ones will have their own space, just like the old ones :)

Attachments

• Mechanisms.wld
    2.6 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
I love this design.

I was able to expand upon it a little for ease of use with a single switch to cycle through destinations, simpler/easier to read wiring, at the cost of only have one dimension of 4 teleporters

Here's a video I recorded of it during testing.

And still images
z3t6gD6.png
XcOxoDA.png

The design can be roughly divided into 4 sections:
Top Left is the "binary counter" - Input being the pulse of the destination selector switch (beneath the sign). Big thanks to ZeroGravitas's work with faulty gates lamps and their uses. Because there are only 4 possible destinations with my design, I can get away with just having this small counter and a diode-gate. Outputs go straight into the "state cascade."

Top Right is the state cascade - input comes from the binary counter. Collectively the gates have lamps set to account for every possible boolean state coming from the binary counter. This allows the counter to determine the destination and save it. Outputs are to the torches to show destination selected and to the "teleport decider"

Bottom Right is the teleport decider - input comes from a bunch of sources here. First the state of the top lamp is set based on the destination. The second input comes from a diode that relays the activation of the origin teleporter. The gate with the destination lamp that's on and also receives the origin teleporter pulse will activate and output the pulse to the intermediate teleporter, destination teleporter and to the signal divide. Note that i have unconnected gate lamps; those are spacers so that I don't have wires of the same colour touching each other.

Bottom Left is the signal divide mechanism - This loops so it will pop smoke which is annoying but not a deal breaker. Inputs are from the activation of either the origin teleporter or the destination teleporter. If the signal is from the origin teleporter, it activates a diode-gate that will send the player to the intermediate teleporter along with a signal to the teleport decider (to activate the intermediate teleporter and send the player to the destination). Else if the signal originated from the destination, then a different diode-gate will activate that sends a signal from the intermediate teleporter to the origin teleporter.

Welp! That's a lot of talking from me for a first post here! I'm really proud of this and it took me quite a while to get the design to a stage that I'm happy with. I never really had experience with logic gates and circuits. I'm more of a web programer/designer kind of person XD

Great work! My idea for getting the teleportation hub is to be able to divide the inputs (so any number of inputs) distributed amongst divide mechanisms. Need to write it down somewhat and see what will become of it... Hard to explain in words :)

I made one of these with 8 output teleporters. (and no Intermediate Teleporter.)
I based mine off of a video I found here:
...but my version of it has a somewhat more intuitive design.
(There are junction boxes where the RBGY wires hit the input wires.)
Teleporter Hub.png

The wires leaving the screen go to the output teleporters throughout the world.

Last edited:
Finally i've created the end result of my machinations! Simple design and can be enlarged as much as you want. So far a schematic of the whole mechanism. All of the below is from the starting point, as if no A-D and 1-4 switches were turned on. After i'll build it, i'll upload a working screenshot.

Terraria_teleport hub.png

How does it work? Here's how!
1. When the player pulls the switch, the signal goes along red to the first transistor, which will be activated if only 1 left side switch is on (making sure you chose one destination) - done via XOR gate.
2. If it succeeds, the output is linked to another transistor, which will be activated if only 1 right side switch is on - again, via XOR gate.
3. If either of the inputs (left side or right side) have more than 1 turned on or none turned on, teleportation won't commence.
4. Output from the transistor is linked to the separation area (marked one in pink, each such area is practically the same, which allows easier duplication). The input goes through a signal changing AND gate (done it so that all the wires in the area are the same) and towards the activation transistors, linked with the teleporter.
5. If the appropriate input from left side switches is off then green output is executed (i would call it a "cycling output"). It is linked to the teleporter pad and down to another area - making the player shift between the areas until the chosen left side switch wire comes around or player is ported back to the start.
6. The activation sequence is ran through the yellow wire from the right transistor and towards all four AND gates. Safety mechanism from 2 guarantees that only one AND gate will activate. A row of activated lamps helps for wires not to cross against each other on the logic gate lamps.
7. Output from all AND gates is linked to the teleported pad on which player stands and to all 4 other destinations. One destination being activated, player is ported there.
8. All four wires are also wired back to the to the switches above the destination pads. When switching it player is ported back to the same area (as the signal goes back through the same wiring). Additionally, as the wires cross to a "return" transistor, it activates on the green wire, which was going out of the "cycling output" from point 5. The same green wire

So in short summary:
1. Player chooses destination with one switch turned on A-D and one switch turned on 1-4. Safety mechanism guarantees only one of each can be chosen.
2. Player is cycled through each area, "stopping" only on that, from which the turned on A-D switch is.
3. Player then is ported when appropriate AND gate is turned on from the 1-4 switches.
4. When player goes back, he is teleported back to the pad of the chosen area, but return transistor activates the mechanism as if this area was not chosen, cycling around until player is ported back to the start.

PROS:
- Not too complicated
- Can be easily enlarged for additional destinations. The output is 4*N destinations, where N is the number of sets of 4 letter switches.
- Has a safety mechanism for appropriate choosing of destination.
- Could be even more compact than on the picture.
- No reset mechanism required, as even when an AND gate was previously turned on, another signal to the inputs will turn it off sending the signal through the output, teleporting the player either way.

CONS:
- Requires more space for the left side XOR when more than one set of 4 wires is used. Additional XOR gates linked with this one or extending the existing one will be required.
- The output wires (from AND gates) are switched compared to the wire colors on 1-4 switches. Need to remember which wire reflects which destination.

I made one of these with 8 output teleporters. (and no Intermediate Teleporter.)
I based mine off of a video I found here:
...but my version of it has a somewhat more intuitive design.
(There are junction boxes where the RBGY wires hit the input wires.)
The wires leaving the screen go to the output teleporters throughout the world.

That's good, and the way the logic gate lamps are set up on the top row of logic gates is very clever. However, if I may make some comments:

1. What is the purpose of the AND gate with one input on the left? I tried a setup pretty much the same as that. When I tried to teleport, that particular part caused a puff of smoke and no teleportation took place.

2. The bottom row of logic gates is actually not necessary - it could be replaced with some extra lamps on the top row, as in these images:
Capture 2016-06-01 07_42_17.png
Capture 2016-06-01 07_41_18.png
The bottom lamps on the logic gates don't actually do anything - they're there to provide space between the input and output wires.

Anyway, thanks for your post! Without it, I would have had a harder time figuring out how to connect 8 destinations to one source.

1. What is the purpose of the AND gate with one input on the left? I tried a setup pretty much the same as that. When I tried to teleport, that particular part caused a puff of smoke and no teleportation took place.

2. The bottom row of logic gates is actually not necessary - it could be replaced with some extra lamps on the top row, as in these images:
The bottom lamps on the logic gates don't actually do anything - they're there to provide space between the input and output wires.

Anyway, thanks for your post! Without it, I would have had a harder time figuring out how to connect 8 destinations to one source.

1. The point of the AND gate on the left is to keep the row of logic gates that it's connected to off after the teleportation. (It's explained somewhat in the video I found but not very much in detail.) I'm not sure why it's not working for you, I guess post yours and I can try to see, but mine is working just fine.
2. Yeah, now that you mention it that would be better, I guess that's what happens when I try to do it without help and build half of the machine only to get stuck and find a video that doesn't quite match my first half to build the rest.
...and glad to help.

And @Ranadiel, I can't wait to see a working version of your design. Right now the wiring seems like a bit much for me.

Last edited:
My video already here :happy:
In my world i use teleporter hub that supports up to 32 destination points.
9eLbZfX.png

It can be extended up to 56 destination points, because it possible to connect 7 destinations to each temporary teleporter.
But, in that case, wiring quickly gets unmanageable.

And here i have the video, that explain the main principle of it (sorry for my english skills):

I'm gonna post the world in my late evening, so around 7 hours from now.

EDIT: Added the world to this post. Inserted some comments on signs to show some basic information on the mechanisms.

At the moment, i'm figuring out different ideas concerning teleporter signal divide (not 1 input into 2 outputs, but 1 input into 4 outputs) and how to rework the teleporter hub to be more compact and refined. Each of the ideas is built on my world, so the new ones will have their own space, just like the old ones :)

Could not open the world =/

Says "Load failed! No backup found".

My video already here :happy:
In my world i use teleporter hub that supports up to 32 destination points.
9eLbZfX.png

It can be extended up to 56 destination points, because it possible to connect 7 destinations to each temporary teleporter.
But, in that case, wiring quickly gets unmanageable.

And here i have the video, that explain the main principle of it (sorry for my english skills):
World download? Also @DicemanX you need to replace your TP hub now xD

Wow! Great design! This is an interesting back end for a teleportation hub, where the inputs could be decimal numbers translated into binary (additional wiring needed for that).

My one comment is that you're using faulty logic gate lamps one on top another, where you could just link all color wires to one lamp. Either way the signal would be activated and you compact the space used.

If you linked a teleport propagation and divide further, you could multiply this design even more. Although i'm not sure people would need more than 50 destinations :)

BTW, i have a working hub of my own design, seen below.
Teleporter hub with 16 destinations.png

Teleporter hub with 16 destinations Wired.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom