1.3.1 Feedback and Bugs Section

Status
Not open for further replies.
It IS whining. Fishing has NOTHING to do with game advancement, it is purely a sidequest compared to even killing the Eye of Ctulhu. You're not trying to make Terraria a better game with this, you're taking fun from people based on what you think of some gears. This is what got the Medusa moved to Hardmode-only and nerfed in 1.3.1.

So quit your whining.

It IS whining. Fishing has NOTHING to do with game advancement, it is purely a sidequest compared to even killing the Eye of Ctulhu. You're not trying to make Terraria a better game with this, you're taking fun from people based on what you think of some gears. This is what got the Medusa moved to Hardmode-only and nerfed in 1.3.1.

So quit your whining.

Fun is relative. Some people have fun once a change is made. Some people have fun until a change is made. As unhappy as you would be were the Reaver Shark to be nerfed, as happy as someone else will be for exactly the same reason.

It IS whining. Fishing has NOTHING to do with game advancement,

So quit your whining.

Except it is, as acquiring a reaver shark early allows you to get some relatively high tiers of armor (molten armor, fossil armor), and if you open crates in hardmode you can acquire all the hardmode ore you need without having to go mine for it, nor breaking an altar.
It is possible to keep all the iron and gold crates you can find, and open them all at once when hardmode hits, all in the safety of your house. If that's not advancement I don't know what is.

Except it is, as acquiring a reaver shark early allows you to get some relatively high tiers of armor (molten armor, fossil armor), and if you open crates in hardmode you can acquire all the hardmode ore you need without having to go mine for it, nor breaking an altar.
It is possible to keep all the iron and gold crates you can find, and open them all at once when hardmode hits, all in the safety of your house. If that's not advancement I don't know what is.

I meant it from a view point of it being necessary to advance the game.

Such is Terraria guys. It can never be perfectly balanced for everyone....too many ways to play and too many varying levels of skill and experience and style. RNG as well - maybe you get that great drop early or maybe not (slime staff as an example). It's your choice as to if you use it or not. That's the only way to balance things, truly.

All we try to do is provide overall "guard rails" so that things don't get so far from the core experience that it breaks what is intended.

So quit your whining.
Every bit of feedback is relevant, as it is the point of this thread; you do not get to tell people off because you happen to think it is just whining. You are perfectly free to disagree with people, and even debate the issue, but keep it respectful. If you cannot do so, you can and will be removed from the thread.

Honestly, regarding 'nerfing' the reaver shark and 'breaking' the game...Where do you draw the line? You can find an enchanted sword on day one. Which is quite frankly insanely overpowered for a pre-hardmode weapon. You can also find a starfury, make an amazon yoyo, etc, which again are insanely overpowered pieces of gear. Where do you draw the line regarding easy to get gear vs strength vs luck? Reaver sharks are pretty hard to get since not only is the chance low without high tier fishing gear, you'd have to actually get a sufficient amount of bait to do so. Should we nerf starfury, the amazon, enchanted sword, arkhalis, so on too? What then? Nerf platinum broadswords and zombie arms because someone might get lucky and find the material early on? Why not remove the money trough too, since it's possible to get a blood moon early on if you get lucky which is better than even a safe as far as 'safe storage' goes because it doesn't require a surface to place on period. Yes, fishing leads to shortcuts, but you also have to invest time into collecting bait, and getting gear just to make fishing not suck. and even then it's RNG if you get anything good or not.

I've done the fishing route in a playthrough. It can be faster and also be slower than the standard mining progression. Fishing doesn't grant you any unique armor to protect your hide against attacks, aside from the ore that comes from crates. As for weapons, at best you might get... what, and Obsidian Swordfish if you're absurdly lucky.

Honestly, regarding 'nerfing' the reaver shark and 'breaking' the game...Where do you draw the line? You can find an enchanted sword on day one. Which is quite frankly insanely overpowered for a pre-hardmode weapon. You can also find a starfury, make an amazon yoyo, etc, which again are insanely overpowered pieces of gear. Where do you draw the line regarding easy to get gear vs strength vs luck? Reaver sharks are pretty hard to get since not only is the chance low without high tier fishing gear, you'd have to actually get a sufficient amount of bait to do so. Should we nerf starfury, the amazon, enchanted sword, arkhalis, so on too? What then? Nerf platinum broadswords and zombie arms because someone might get lucky and find the material early on? Why not remove the money trough too, since it's possible to get a blood moon early on if you get lucky which is better than even a safe as far as 'safe storage' goes because it doesn't require a surface to place on period. Yes, fishing leads to shortcuts, but you also have to invest time into collecting bait, and getting gear just to make fishing not suck. and even then it's RNG if you get anything good or not.

I draw the line regarding "too easy to get gear" when it takes little skill and/or risk to obtain equipment or weapons that is two or more tiers of progression ahead of you (eg. Katana before EoC, Enchanted Sword or worse Arkhalis before EoC, Reaver Shark before Eater of Worlds) at any given point. Say going into the Ice Biome early to get from a Wooden Broadsword to an Ice Sword is acceptable since surviving in the Ice Biome requires better equipment and skill than in the standard Underground. If you can survive the underground Ice biome for long enough to get an Ice Sword, you pretty much deserve it. I would also consider the Zombie Arm and Bone Sword to be acceptable. Sure, the Zombie Arm is pretty nice and helpful in the underground; but it doesn't singlehandedly cheese the earlygame while the Bone Sword generally comes at a time where you have proven yourself to be more than capable of handing the Underground without it. On the other hand, it takes very little skill to get say an early Katana, a weapon that outclasses everything up to the Muramasa and singlehandedly cheeses the earlygame bar King Slime, provided the Traveling Merchant sells it and you are willing to sell off enough of your possessions to make the 4.5 Gold required to buy it.
Stuff like the Money Trough are useful to have, but they don't really occupy any space in progression.

What you are doing here is playing the Slippery Slope logical fallacy, that is taking an argument and applying extreme hypothethical situations to it to make an issue look more like a problem than it is. You have taken your argument way too far in an attempt to make the other side's complaints sound bad because they want something nerfed that you don't want nerfed.

THIS. Also, it should be taken into consideration the fact that you still have to cross the map into the Ocean, which certainly will force the player to pass through a Corruption/Crimson chasm, and, depending on the side, a Jungle. And even then, getting a Reaver Shark, for example, depends on luck, as it's a rare drop from fishing.

So, getting a Reaver Shark early? It is a thing for more skilled players, not novice ones. It's not particularly hard to get to the Ocean, it just demands some knowledge that a new player often will not have.

Last edited:
i have a problem.

when i try to fight the eater of worlds on normal mode. i spawn him in with the summoing item, after a couple of seconds he goes under and just travels off and never comes back up, and then he just despawns i can hear the music is changingl. i also fight him above ground. i tried underground too. he still despawned.

just to mention i was still alive with almost full health

i have a problem.

when i try to fight the eater of worlds on normal mode. i spawn him in with the summoing item, after a couple of seconds he goes under and just travels off and never comes back up, and then he just despawns i can hear the music is changingl. i also fight him above ground. i tried underground too. he still despawned.

just to mention i was still alive with almost full health

Stupid question - are you summoning him in the corruption? He can only be fought in the corruption.
Did you leave the corruption while fighting him?

If he was able to summon it, then he most likely was within the corruption when using the spawner, then left it during battle prompting the Eater of Worlds to flee.

I draw the line regarding "too easy to get gear" when it takes little skill and/or risk to obtain equipment or weapons that is two or more tiers of progression ahead of you (eg. Katana before EoC, Enchanted Sword or worse Arkhalis before EoC, Reaver Shark before Eater of Worlds) at any given point. Say going into the Ice Biome early to get from a Wooden Broadsword to an Ice Sword is acceptable since surviving in the Ice Biome requires better equipment and skill than in the standard Underground. If you can survive the underground Ice biome for long enough to get an Ice Sword, you pretty much deserve it. I would also consider the Zombie Arm and Bone Sword to be acceptable. Sure, the Zombie Arm is pretty nice and helpful in the underground; but it doesn't singlehandedly cheese the earlygame while the Bone Sword generally comes at a time where you have proven yourself to be more than capable of handing the Underground without it. On the other hand, it takes very little skill to get say an early Katana, a weapon that outclasses everything up to the Muramasa and singlehandedly cheeses the earlygame bar King Slime, provided the Traveling Merchant sells it and you are willing to sell off enough of your possessions to make the 4.5 Gold required to buy it.
Stuff like the Money Trough are useful to have, but they don't really occupy any space in progression.

What you are doing here is playing the Slippery Slope logical fallacy, that is taking an argument and applying extreme hypothethical situations to it to make an issue look more like a problem than it is. You have taken your argument way too far in an attempt to make the other side's complaints sound bad because they want something nerfed that you don't want nerfed.
Extreme hypothetical? You're kidding right? I've found an enchanted sword literally on day one of a game before. It completely broke any sense of weapon progression early pre-hardmode as a result of that. There's nothing 'extreme' about it. I personally don't care if the reaver shark gets nerfed or not. My point is, people asking for nerfs in a game that quite frankly isn't a competitive game, is in my opinion ridiculous. Pointless nerfs have ruined a lot of good stuff in games as it is as the developers of games have a tendency to do the 'shotgun' approach rather than actually taking things into consideration. Furthermore in your earlier example you were talking about skill versus luck... You do realize that probably 80% of terraria is luck. Killing an angry trapper early hardmode, getting an uzi to drop, vs killing them for 6 hours straight and getting absolutely nothing, just for example...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom