1.3.1 Feedback and Bugs Section

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, here's what I'm talking about: http://imgur.com/a/hKdxg
It's an AND logic gate that is wired to a torch. My problem is: in this contraption, when the both lamps are turned on it sends a signal to the torch, but then, when I turn off either of the lamps the signal goes on again and it turns off the torch. Is there a way to make so that the gate only sends signal to the torch when I turn on both of the lamps, but then to turn the torch off I have to deactive the logic gate and power it again.

I feel like hooking up output from your logic gate to this thing
1BpDyIu.png

The output torch will change state every other time the input-switch-linked torch does. This is thanks to the "faulty logic lamp", which magically converts any logic gate into a randomizer: inputs to the faulty lamp (always top of the stack) will produce an output a percentage of the time depending on the number of regular lamps that are currently turned on. There can be many lamps stacked up in different states to tune this probability, but with only 1 lamp this means it will always relay the input signal to output when the lamp is on (100%) and never when it's off (0%). Thus by connecting both the faulty lamp (input) and the only probability-adjusting lamp together, every other input signal will be ignored as the probability function toggles between 100% and 0% (of relaying the input change signal).
and then into the torch, would solve your problem, but I've been wrong before(so many many times).

I feel like hooking up output from your logic gate to this thing

and then into the torch, would solve your problem, but I've been wrong before(so many many times).
Okay, it worked well in that particular simple construction, but it doesn't really work well with what I'm trying to build.
http://imgur.com/a/Vhm3r
This is supposed to be a mini teleporter hub. The primary teleporter (the top one) is supposed to take you to the right teleporter first, and once you teleport back from the right one, it's supposed to switch the logic around so that the primary teleporter takes you to the left one. And once you use the lever on the left one, it takes you the the top once again and reset the logic so that the primary teleporter takes you to the right.
The problem is, I can't stop triggering multiple teleporters at once, even though they are not directly linked with one lever. At the beginning it works as intended - I use the primary lever and it takes me to the right teleporter. Then I get back to the top and use the lever again and it takes me to the left, but then something terrible happens, and when I use the lever on the left it immediately transports me to primary and back to left, so I can't leave the left teleporter. And with some logic states the right teleporter takes you immediately to left, even though they are not connected directly.
So I need a way to somehow temporarily deactivate chunks of wiring so that they don't trigger when I don't want them to.

~UPDATE
I found a mistake in wiring - the yellow wire was crossed. Now it's fixed
http://imgur.com/TkCIuSw
But now another problem occurs - the direction of the teleportation seems to be completely random. The top ones takes me to either left or right, and the right one sometimes takes me to the left and sometimes takes me to the top.
Please, send help, my brain is melting.

Last edited:
Please, send help, my brain is melting.
I tried to decipher your design, but I'm too unfamiliar with logic gates at the moment to fully understand what's happening there. If you'd add a screenshot without the wires blocking the lamps, it might help. At this time it seems that you're using one lamp AND gates, and that just confuses me and makes me wonder how that affects activation order.
Still, as it was an interesting thing to try to design, so I tried to make my own(see attachments). It seems to do what you were trying to achieve.
I recommend trying to figure out why your works the way it does though, it's probably the best way to learn :)

Attachments

• Capture 2016-05-26 12_14_42.png
    Capture 2016-05-26 12_14_42.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Capture 2016-05-26 12_14_49.png
    Capture 2016-05-26 12_14_49.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 188
I tried to decipher your design, but I'm too unfamiliar with logic gates at the moment to fully understand what's happening there. If you'd add a screenshot without the wires blocking the lamps, it might help. At this time it seems that you're using one lamp AND gates, and that just confuses me and makes me wonder how that affects activation order.
Still, as it was an interesting thing to try to design, so I tried to make my own(see attachments). It seems to do what you were trying to achieve.
Still, I recommend trying to figure out why your works the way it does, it's probably the best way to learn :)
Hey, thanks for the response. You can see the unwired screenshot in the first link of my previous post.
The logic of the construction is: there are two AND gates with two lamps each, the primary lever is wired to both lamps on both AND gates. And then the levers on each platform are wired directly to the first teleport and their own teleport and to 1 lamp of each AND gate. The idea is to block the used gate with changing the state of one lamp and then unlock the other one with changing the state of it's own lamp.

PS. Your design seems much more simple than mine. Can you explain it a little bit?

2. What exactly does "thumbstick cursor snap" do?

makes the Directional Pad perform a special function in addition to any binds added to it.

if you press the DPad, it disables smart cursor and moves your aim 1 block in the direction you pressed

Oh, had a script installed that redirected me straight to first image on imgur ignoring the fact that there can be multiple, my bad.
The top ones takes me to either left or right, and the right one sometimes takes me to the left and sometimes takes me to the top.
Ok, why right one sometimes takes you to the left one is easy, it's wire priority. Wires are activated on order red, green, blue, yellow. Your switch first teleports you to the top, then changes state of the left AND gate and that teleports you to the left. If you replace red wire from the right switch with blue one, that should stop. The other part is still confusing me, but I'm not giving up yet.

As for my design.. wait, why does that work? As I said "I too unfamiliar with logic gates at the moment to fully understand what's happening there". But if you replace the green wire with a yellow one, then it works the same, and I can explain it. Top row of lamps is 'memory' which gate was activated last and which to activate next. When you flip the top switch, red wire toggles them. Then yellow one(green in the screenshot) toggles bottom row to on state, allowing AND gate to check what's in top row. Whichever gate had top lamp in the on state activates and activates teleporter pair through the blue wire. Then the yellow wire from the gates activates, and toggles bottom row of lamps back to off state, producing smoke as Terraria says: "Hey, stop throwing me into infinite loop." This is one of the parts I don't fully understand yet. But it works, and seems intended based on this thread: http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...on-to-terrarian-1-3-1-wiring-mechanics.43646/
The idea for the gate resetting itself is by no means mine, I picked it up from many threads on T-MEC http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?social-forums/t-mec-terrarian-mechanical-engineering-corps.203/
and just stuck it into design to see if it would do what I wanted it to do. I think that's it. Why I want to change wire from green to yellow, is because of wire priority. In the screenshot version, from my current understanding, gate should send a smoke signal and die before activating teleporter, but it doesn't. I'll do some testing with this later, and try to understand how and why it worked exactly.

Edit1: there's been alot of new information here http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/order-of-operations-smoke-and-how-to-prevent-it.44020/
Still going through it, but it will probably explain everything.

Last edited:
Okay, so I gave up on my design, because it's a logical puzzle I can't solve. The problem was that I saw no way not to reset the second gate twice, so I always got stuck on it. Maybe I will think of something in the future. It works well with OR gates, but still, I see no way to defeat the infinite cycle on the second gate.
So I ended up building a similiar design to yours, and it works. The only problem is, I don't understand why it works. Especially the self-resetting mechanism. I suppose that it triggers itself for a very brief moment, and then shuts itself down?

I have to say that I really love all the updated sprites. Very lovely. Kudos to the ones responsible. :)
It's a pity the jelly fishbowls weren't updated though. They look as hideous as the day they first appeared, thanks to that single black pixel-line operating as a wannabe bowl.
They really deserve updating as well:
Pink_Jellyfish_Jar.png

I was really happy when I saw inventory organizing. I was saddened to find you can't oraganize chests though.

Something I've just noticed is that when on a horizontal rope,
If I use a wooden yoyo backwards while "walking" across I don't move anywhere and kind of glitch back and forth a little bit, also if I use the blowpipe backwards the sprite snaps forwards immediately. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
1. Map zooming with a controller uses the opposite buttons than what the screen tooltip shows. For example it says LT zoom in and RT zoom out, when it's actually the opposite.
2. When exiting the setting menu in game, your inventory opens up.
3. Often the game is detecting a double jump with a cloud in a bottle when the button is only pressed once.
4. The NPC's are spazzing out if you have a house built with a door on each end and zombies are at both doors. It's highly comical, but when you start to build up NPCs it could cause a seizure.

Questions...
1. Is it possible to get rid of that overlay that appears around the cursor when you don't have smart cursor enabled? Since I'm playing from the couch with a controller, that grid makes it had to see where you're placing blocks, items.
2. What exactly does "thumbstick cursor snap" do?
3. Can you use the new lock on function when just using mouse and keyboard? I love this new feature, but it's now active when just using mouse and keyboard.
4. In the future, would it be possible to add a zoom feature like that in the PS4 edition. Makes playing from the couch much easier on the eyes.

@Leadhead

Bugs:
1. Confirmed! Reporting. :)
2. That's because your inventory is open when you enter the settings menu. Not a bug.
3. Could not replicate; are you on keyboard/mouse or a Gamepad when this is happening? It could be a hardware issue with the input device.
4. I doubt this would cause a seizure, its not quite the right kind of spazzing out, but it also seems rather difficult to replicate. Could you provide an example building where this is happening?

Your Questions:
1. There is no toggle for it at this time that I'm aware of, but I've asked about it and its being looked into. No promises. :)
2. Thumbstick Cursor Snap, and the option next to it, Thumbstick Hotbar (which are typos, they are supposed to say D-Pad instead of Thumbstick) are options to decide whether you want the D-Pad to control moving your manual placement cursor OR your hotbar. You can't have both, so its a toggle for which you'd prefer.
3. The Lock On feature is intended for Gamepad only.
4. Not sure, and not my call, sorry!

Well, not bug, but feedback about the new statues.

First of all, the new monster statues. Why is the drop rate for the new statue monsters REDUCED? I mean, seriously? I did my testing with Harpy Statues and Feathers seldom appear. I got a Banner from the kills before I had the THIRD Feather. Can you guys PLEASE make the new Statue monsters drop rate NORMAL as the current ones? I could use farming Granite without having to dive underground.

Second, the critter statues. Cool, you can CRAFT THEM at a Heavy Workbench, but what damn use is it for if you can't even capture the critters it spawns? Are you guys serious? Why would I use the critter statues (Especially the Worm Statue, the most useful of them) if I can't capture them?

If you guys are gonna insert new active statues like that, MAKE THEM WORTH USING. Fix the drop rate for those new statues and make those critters capturable, because the new statues as they are now are USELESS for those who use them exclusively for farming.

I have mixed feelings about the critter statue change. You add in all these critter statues, but you also nuke the ability to capture them. Meaning making them functional is ENTIRELY pointless/worthless/useless.

On this subject, as has been mentioned several times before in a few threads:

1. The new monster statues have low drop rates, primarily because most of the newer monster statues have some pretty nice drops. You can see the choice this leads to; we could have gone with the old style of the Skeleton/Jellyfish/Etc Statue system, where they had full drop rates and led to heavy exploitation, or we could have gone with the old Mimic Statue system, where they don't drop anything at all. The old statues weren't changed, but rather than be forced to pick between two undesirable choices (either no reward at all or excessive reward), a compromise decision was made to offer the drops but at a significant drop rate to represent how incredibly easy farming statues is. So yes, seriously. :) You can still farm Granite from Granite Golem statues without diving underground, but expect to have lessened returns for the low investment of energy. They weren't going to have full drop rates; among the new statue drops are some pretty rare items, and even a mount. If anything, they would have no drops at all, like the Mimic.

Its also worth mentioning that the new statues require the player to actively damage them to get drops. Why this system wasn't retroactively applied to the older statues, I don't know; it might just be a legacy thing, or because most of the older statue loot is pretty weak. It wasn't my call. :)

2. The Critter statues are meant to be decorative. Even more so than monster statues, critter statues are a literal zero threat, extremely minimal investment source of infinite bait. Fishing is a very, very potent gameplay mechanic that is extremely easy already, with bait acquisition being its only real balancing feature. These statues would completely trash that if they gave bait. So it merely boils down to a difference in opinion about their intended use: critter statues are intended as decorative items, which can both be used as literal furniture, and to spawn critters as desired for background flavor (as can be seen in the Tales of the Terrarian map). This IS their use, so they are hardly worthless, as are a number of any other purely decorative items. They are not intended to grant a mechanical or loot benefit to you as the player. You can call that worthless/pointless/useless, but its little different from any of the other multitude of decorative elements of Terraria, which is a huge focus in the game.

Last edited:
Fishing is a very, very potent gameplay mechanic that is extremely easy already, with bait acquisition being its only real balancing feature.
Uh-oh, I sense a future where angler quests+crates don't provide you with more master bait that you'd ever need :)

And to keep this on topic, was it this patch that made using mount key near rails summon a cart? I'm still getting used to it, but I love not having to hunt the rails with the mouse to start riding.

@Leadhead
2. The Critter statues are meant to be decorative. Even more so than monster statues, critter statues are a literal zero threat, extremely minimal investment source of infinite bait. Fishing is a very, very potent gameplay mechanic that is extremely easy already, with bait acquisition being its only real balancing feature. These statues would completely trash that if they gave bait. So it merely boils down to a difference in opinion about their intended use: critter statues are intended as decorative items, which can both be used as literal furniture, and to spawn critters as desired for background flavor (as can be seen in the Tales of the Terrarian map). This IS their use, so they are hardly worthless, as are a number of any other purely decorative items. They are not intended to grant a mechanical or loot benefit to you as the player. You can call that worthless/pointless/useless, but its little different from any of the other multitude of decorative elements of Terraria, which is a huge focus in the game.
There is a point where 'balance' starts to impose upon fun though. I was seriously happy to see the critter statues, because honestly there's a lot of times where I have to really go out and hunt to find specific critters if I want to make an animal cage. Nuking the ability to just 'spawn' them with the statues that were put in? Honestly makes me just want to go 'screw it' and resort to inventory editors or tshock server commands to just spawn stuff in instead of earning it. And I didn't have this desire before. So I don't know, if anything this change kind of took away some of the enjoyment I got from the game. Oh, and as far as infinite bait goes? There's plenty of existing exploits to get such a thing as it is. All stuff like this does is punish people who are inventive/creative/think outside of the box. And as far as being decorative... How about letting us freaking position them then? You know, instead of having them facing the exact same way no matter what? Being able to have a left OR right facing statue is sorely needed if they are to be used for decoration purposes. This is not a thing.

This probably was asked before, but please, make Conveyor Belt affect NPCs' velocity, otherwise it's pretty much useless.
Thank you :).

I can use hoik for item transfer, but NPCs are a little bit harder. So I don't see the point of this new feature.
Conveyer belts are not only for transferring over a large distance, they're pretty handy and easy to use when you only need to use over small things.

I just see hoiks as a, yet useful, exploit. So it's also good to be in game for those who don't care about hoiks.

@Leadhead

On this subject, as has been mentioned several times before in a few threads:

1. The new monster statues have low drop rates, primarily because most of the newer monster statues have some pretty nice drops. You can see the choice this leads to; we could have gone with the old style of the Skeleton/Jellyfish/Etc Statue system, where they had full drop rates and led to heavy exploitation, or we could have gone with the old Mimic Statue system, where they don't drop anything at all. The old statues weren't changed, but rather than be forced to pick between two undesirable choices (either no reward at all or excessive reward), a compromise decision was made to offer the drops but at a significant drop rate to represent how incredibly easy farming statues is. So yes, seriously. :) You can still farm Granite from Granite Golem statues without diving underground, but expect to have lessened returns for the low investment of energy. They weren't going to have full drop rates; among the new statue drops are some pretty rare items, and even a mount. If anything, they would have no drops at all, like the Mimic.

Its also worth mentioning that the new statues require the player to actively damage them to get drops. Why this system wasn't retroactively applied to the older statues, I don't know; it might just be a legacy thing, or because most of the older statue loot is pretty weak. It wasn't my call. :)

Not quite happy with that, but I can understand what you're saying about monster drops (Especially with the Unicorn Statue, and what with Medusas becoming Hardmode enemies) and critter spawns (My baits now are only Master Baits I get from Crates), so I'll chill about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom