PC 1.3.1 : Mechanics and Controller Support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kefke : I thought people meant the Large Gems... okay, checking the small gems, they did the same thing:

The Old Small Gems had what looked like lots of cracks all over them[SNIP]

Full stop. Cracks? Cracks?!

Those are facets. Because the old gems were gem cut.

Square-Radiant-cut-Sapphire-183ct-CS8651-2.jpg

Here's a picture of a real world sapphire, just as an example. Notice that it isn't smooth. It's covered in facets - angular planes that are designed to catch the light and enhance the beauty of the stone. Now, yes, stones don't come out of the ground looking like that, but Terrarria (and indeed most games I know) doesn't require you to cut and polish gemstones before use, either. Gems in games are typically shown as cut, because it's recognizable to people. Whereas uncut gems just look like colourful rocks.

So tell me which of these looks like a cut stone;
20160523002533%21Sapphire.png
/
20160522221133%21Sapphire.png

Full stop. Cracks? Cracks?!

Those are facets. Because the old gems were gem cut.

Maybe the problem was one that was just demonstrated in how you both viewed the gems differently; there was too much going on in such a small sprite, and the end result wasn't easily discernible or clean enough. When you deal with such small stuff, sometimes a more basic and "clean" approach is better than a attempt at too much detail that ends up looking messy.

I'm not sure of the exact reasoning for redesigning the gems, but I personally do feel they look "cleaner", even if this isn't necessarily an intensely accurate depiction of gems in real life.

And of course, not everyone is going to have the same opinion on stylistic changes like sprite redesigns, but I DO know that there have been quite a few people who liked and were quite excited by some of the changes you've brought up (Magic Mirror, in particular). So that's worth keeping in mind that you can't please everyone. :)

The only sprite I really have a problem with (if it can be called a problem) is that the sapphire looks like one of those small clear toy balls.
Everything else is fine, though.

My issue with the new gems is mainly limited to the excessively smooth appearance of The new Topaz, Sapphire and to an extent Emerald. This smoothness is over pronounced to the extent that they look 2 dimensional unlike the old versions. The "Blemishes" on the old versions gave the gems a sense of depth that is lacking in the new sprites.
The new Saphire and Topaz in particular look like a circle and a rectangle rather than a crystal like the old gems...
The other ones look nice though.

I love the update and everything but every once and a while my interface and cursor just disappear and I have to close and re-open the game.

I have an interface issue: When trying to play the game with my Razer Nostromo (sidepad), the game perceives it as a controller (it is not) and I am unable to use the mouse while it is plugged in. When I unplugged it completely, I was able to select menu options properly.

On the gem issue i have to say, I like the look both the 1.2 and the 1.3.1 gem sprite. I like the texture of 1.2 better but the shading and coloring of 1.3.1 better. If only the two could be combined...
Well that might be easier said than done considering the size of the sprite.
The LARGE GEMS without a doubt look better in 1.3.1.

Hrm... how do you get the doors to automatically open again? Suddenly I have to stop and manually open them... :(

• Medusa is now Hardmode-Only.
  • Medusa is now Hardcode-Only.
i think you know what my reaction to this is

My issue with the new gems is mainly limited to the excessively smooth appearance of The new Topaz, Sapphire and to an extent Emerald. This smoothness is over pronounced to the extent that they look 2 dimensional unlike the old versions. The "Blemishes" on the old versions gave the gems a sense of depth that is lacking in the new sprites.
The new Saphire and Topaz in particular look like a circle and a rectangle rather than a crystal like the old gems...
The other ones look nice though.
Yeah, now that I look at it.
Topaz is just a shaded rectangle... and I already said that sapphire looked like a toy ball.

• Medusa is now Hardcode-Only.
i think you know what my reaction to this is

Kinda leaves a gap in the encounter table, though. Two, in fact. Now there's one less mob that can spawn in prehard marble biomes, and hardmode granit gets less of an upgrade.

i'm so hyped to be able to use a controller :D i tried mapping it to my ps4 controller before but it didn't go well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom