PC 1.3.1 : Mechanics and Controller Support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_static_tumblr_mnq7sorkvk1r4qxzoo1_500.gif
how it feels to a have controller for terraria:kingslime:

I can't tell you how tickled I am that the Junction Box made it into the 1.3.1 update.* :happy: (And projectile pressure pads: I guess I need to remove that suggestion from my signature, now...)

I am surprised that it maintained its basic appearance. I probably shouldn't be, though: Simplicity is the way to go, and what does it need to be but a pair of conduits? I just assumed the devs would come up with something vastly different from what I did. Pretty damned neat all around, I say!

Now I just wish I had a better head for architecture, so I could come up with a really cool use for them.

The Multicolored Wrench has been a looooong time coming, and just when I thought I couldn't be happier that we finally have it, on top of that we get The Grand Design... :eek: Words fail me.

There will be people grumbling about a lack of flashy stuff in this update, but for me this stuff is great, and it's not like I'm creating grand works or adventure maps, either. Collapse the fishing gear into one accessory? Yes, please. Actuation Rod, are you kidding me? A Companion Cube, why the hell not! Wait, I can finally map the grapple to my mouse's thumb button - excellent.

It's an age of wonders. Thank you dev team and happy fifth birthday, Terraria.

*Only thing I'd have changed is to make them insubstantial, like actuators.

Last edited:
still no news on that mysterious new event you guys added *cough*cough*walloffish*cough*cough*

*sigh* and onto the bad news. While I don't expect everyone to agree, I always felt Medusa's nerfs were unnecessary given the cavern-like structures underground providing you with plenty of cover in most scenarios, added with the fact that her biome is avoidable, especially if you got killed in a certain area, as you know approximately where to not go. Given the sandbox nature of the game, you can easily proceed with caution and use blocks and building to iron her away, if she's really that much of a pest.

While she was nerfed to no longer serve as a good miniboss (who was honestly way less annoying than the wallhacking wyverns), the fact that you can now abuse her AI even more, makes me disappointed. Anyone who's played Terraria for more than a day knows that if you stand directly above ANY mob, they'll just stand right below you, trying to reach you. At this point, if Medusa can't even petrify you (Which wouldn't do much anyway, as you're out of reach), you've basically got yourself free farming for her head by just standing on a platform.

Then you went further and made her Hardmode-only. Despite the fact that she's a normalmode mob. And she is no longer dangerous in hardmode, especially when you hookshot to somewhere safe above her.

To me, Medusa lost all her vigor, slightly scary appeal and role as a "terrifying foe", when she got put away until she's no longer relevant, with further nerfs. I know I don't speak for everyone, as a lot of people find her to be "too hard", but I feel you could AT LEAST let Expert Mode have her be a challenging "let's hope we don't run into this legendary foe" twist. Expert Mode was made to appeal to the most hardcore of players, no? I never had an issue with Medusa, I infact loved her when initially introduced. Maybe it's because I'm of the "better players", but again, that's all the more reason to talk about Expert Mode.

I hope you reconsider when it comes to at least Expert Mode. Infact, I'd like her to be buffed and have a more important role as a miniboss; accessories like mirror sunglasses could be a way to combat her abilities and stun her for a few seconds, hit her, and quickly move back before she rips your face off.
I guess the developers just didn't intend for it to be a miniboss. I wouldn't have minded having something like that, but it seemed like Medusa was designed to be just another common enemy. From my experience, they spawned fairly frequently and could appear far from the biome they originate from, and their stats were pretty average for 1.3 underground enemies. It seemed to me like it was just a common monster with an ability that, while sounding good on paper, ended up being far too devastating in execution.

But yeah, guess there's no reason not to buff medusa for expert mode. Maybe even make her a proper miniboss there since she's hardmode exclusive now.

Last edited:
Holy Tickling Terrarians Batman! What an update!

First let me say, as a PC gamer that loves using a controller...THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! For the most part, the controls are spot on. Better than any of the console versions, and I own them all. For you all to take the time to add this function 5 years into the game is amazing.

However, I do have a few questions...
-What exactly does "Thumbstick Cursor Snap" do? In my limited testing, there doesn't seem to be a difference with it toggled on or off.
-And is there a way to adjust the flow of the smart cursor? What I mean by that, is that the smart cursor seems to be wound like a tight spring and doesn't have much slop. For example, furniture placement seems smoother on the console versions.

Some possible bugs I've noticed...
-When map zooming, the triggers function the exact opposite of what the tooltip says.
-When exiting out of the settings menu in game, sometimes the inventory opens up. At first I thought this was due to the game auto targeting the nearest chest, but it even happened in a cave.

Finally, is it possible to add a way to zoom in like you can on the PS4? I know that might be asking allot, but maybe in a future update. It would be nice to have a closer view when playing from the couch.

Again, thank you to the team for updating the game 5 years into it's life cycle.

Can we port this version over to consoles now? would make maintenance easier, wouldn't it? Particularly if you add touchscreen support.

Fantastic map. Love it when sandlions spit sand on the part where you have to get to full speed to jump. Blocks the path and all that. Favorite part, tbh. Don't have to worry about time being wasted on the map because they'll hault your progress anyways.

In all seriousness and without sass, loving this update this is amazing. But that is the worst design choice for the map creation. Why?

Anyone noticed the new styles/sprites?
They are split versions for both genders of the last style from 1.3.
Originally it was only a trenchcoat for male and robes for female.
I assume a female character previously using the robes will get a trenchcoat.
20160522203227_1.jpg
20160522203249_1.jpg

Pfffff, who cares about wiring and electronics and neato stuff like that? WE HAVE FEMALE TRENCHCOATS! RE-LOGIC HAS HEARD OUR PRAYERS! PRAISE CTHULU'S ORGANIC ASSORTED ORGANS!

The perfect cap to a great day.
The new sprites look good!
Now I can build the perfect base defense system...

I am incredibly impressed with this update and cannot thank you enough for the amount of new features and fixes that were troubling me and my character for so long. Your continued support of the game (five years later) is ridiculously impressive and your dedication certainly shows. I'm very grateful!

Last edited:
With the Medusa Head now being hardmode only (due to being a drop from a hardmode mob) Has the weapon been adjusted to fit its new tier? Otherwise it would be... less than usable...(particularly on expert mode)

@Techdude594, the Flower Boots and bait exploit is actually a bug, which should not be happening, at least not in its most efficient form (and one we've been aware of for some time). Thus the discrepancy is a lot smaller; statues are not supposed to be limitless sources of massive quantities of bait, and nor are the Flower Boots.
Flower Boots aren't supposed to work what... That was their only use... This makes me sad as attempting to actually get a hotline fishing rod requires massive amounts of bait and extreme patience... The only alternative is ALT F4ing... or making it a guaranteed drop once the requirements are met... -_- Once I get that and the new 1.3.1 items I can finally finish my collection... excluding the seasonal Traveling merchant paintings of course... sigh... There should be a buy able bait of some kind even if it is a really terrible with bait power of 1 or 5... It just gets tedious to wait for rain/grass to grow naturally...

If I could get that fishing rod I could get the obsidian sword fish which would allow me to finally complete my weapon collection in Terraria...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom