PC 1.3.1 : Mechanics and Controller Support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well why shouldn't they just offer us more ways to get unlimited bait? Of course, they could increase the spawn time of critters to let's say 10 seconds. They could furthermore nerf the bait powers, and nerf their sell values. I mean, they re-introduced critter sell values in 1.3.0.1, so it appears to be intentional. I really think they should bring back the ability to catch critters from statues, it gives players more options, instead of more items to store inside chests.
[doublepost=1464016770,1464016416][/doublepost]
Really? You don't like getting easy money? I mean, there are still easy ways to make money, but still, there is no easy way to mass produce explosive bunnies, gold fish bowls, bowl of soup, and other useful items like decoration blocks. They should just let us have more options to get bait and money, instead of giving us statues that spawn background critters. How exciting. This is the wiring update after all, we should be able to use mechanisms such as statues to our advantage.
At one point you'll receive more bait than you could use from angler, just remember to do the quest everyday. plus easy money.

At one point you'll receive more bait than you could use from angler, just remember to do the quest everyday.
I know, I have many thousands of bait from the angler. I'm just saying, choice is always a nice thing. It would be nice to have access to extremely rare bait more easily like scorpions and rare butterflies, snails, and more. Also, who didn't like catching hundreds of critters at once, releasing them, and slaughtering them all at once

I'd much rather have seen the statues be worldgen only and allow you to catch the critters rather than letting everyone make them easily and then getting told "nah, not anymore, play by our new rules!"

If I can get infinite unicorn horns through organized, wholesale slaughter from the comfort of my own base then there's no reason people shouldn't be allowed to collect infinite worms to fish with. There is nothing broken about allowing people to have infinite worms - if they want to turn them all into enchanted nightcrawlers then they have to have enough fallen stars to do so, and after enough fishing quests they'll be up to their ears in 30%/50% baits regardless.

It's just an extremely puzzling choice to make from the end user's perspective. Something has been in the game for a very, very long time - why remove it now when it's clearly not harming anybody? I understand the infinite house since that was an actual bug with no constructive uses besides allowing speedrunners to collect every NPC with one building, and I understand the removal of slimy saddle invincibility machines, but the removal of infinitely obtainable worms and bunnies is just absolutely mind-boggling.

Not sure if a bug or a normal mechanic, (I'm putting here because I don't have enough info to put it in the bugs section)

But...I started a new world, popped on a vanity I liked, the steampunker goggles with it. I got the Companion Cube pet (I have a builder map because I like building. I just suck at it is all.~) and then went to play. I, every now and again, would randomly take 3 damage and I have no idea what was causing it. o_O No enemies near me, just wandering in the dark on the surface and suddenly, "boop" 3 damage gone. Anybody find anything similar or is it something I'm doing?

I think that's a shout-out to Portal. The companion cube in that game is capable of hurting/killing you if it slams into you, and I noticed that with the way it jumps around the player, occasionally it boops me for 1 damage.

Many people are upset with this change
I don't think that removing this feature was the right way to challenge the critters spawners. They could have nerfed the critters in terms of sell value, bait power, spawn time, anything. Just let us get stuff from the statues, this feature has been in the game since 1.1 with the goldfish statue.

The problem is, people were getting multiple platinum per hour at the very beginning of the game, which basically removed any kind of value from money whatsoever. It was basically an infinite money cheat code. All you needed was a goldfish statue, and an existing bit of wire, and a pressure plate or two. Just stick the plate and statue down, and repeatedly jump/walk on the switch and swinging your bug net to make a crapton of money. If you also found a bird statue, you could do even better and make it an almost afk farm! Simply make the blocks so that the bird statue is next to a switch, find one of the many red switches that mobs can trip and find some existing wire, a dart trap will work. remove the dart trap, set up your switches and statues with the existing wire, and there you go.

Infinite money at the beginning of the game. It was just ludicrous how well this would work, some players were getting 2-3p per hour doing it. You don't get 2-3p per hour naturally until at least mid to late hardmode normally....

I think that's a shout-out to Portal. The companion cube in that game is capable of hurting/killing you if it slams into you, and I noticed that with the way it jumps around the player, occasionally it boops me for 1 damage.

Ohhh...Noooo Dx Oh well.~ I'm fine with that then! Worth it for such an awesome pet! Now we just need a GLaDOS mount >=D

When you put it that way, it starts to make sense why we can't catch critters instead of having them just have no sell value. Other statues that spawn enemies have highly nerfed drop rates or don't drop anything to compensate for the fact that you can quickly kill them, but for a critter to not be abused in the same way, one of the following things needs to be done:

A) All critters now have no sell value, meaning if you go around catching birds and bunnies that naturally spawn it's a waste of time if you don't intend to put them in a terrarium or use them as ammo
B) Statue-spawned critters have to be a new, unique mob with no sell value, causing it to go into its own stack away from naturally spawned ones

Neither one is really appealing from a basic development standpoint, you either entirely gut one way of making money early on or you deal with players having two different stacks of worms in their inventory, but for the end user to have a bunch of new toys dangled in front of them and, in the same update, be told they can't be used for what they want them to be used for and even removing said functionality from existing statues is a bit of a sucker punch.

I'm not going to even pretend I know what's going on in the actual game code though.. but that's just a hunch from what limited amount of experience I have with ROM hacking. It seems they simply took a third option so that the statue-spawned critters don't take up a separate item slot, but this could be somewhat handwaved by allowing them to be captured and if they are an entirely different mob just calling them something like "Imitation Worm" or "Imitation Bunny" and attaching no monetary sale value to them, but then you ask yourself how far you're willing to go for crafting. Would an Imitation Bunny just craft into a regular Bunny cage or an Imitation Bunny cage? There's actual resources being poured into it, so if somebody wants to level an entire desert and waste glass on Fish Bowls and the like then that should still be allowed to do so, since they're still exploring the "Dig!" aspect of the game.

Shrug!

@Agastya : Back before 1.3, critters had no sell value and it sucked. I remember the nights of having to catch dozens of rabbits, birds, etc to keep them from cluttering up the spawn tables to keep Fireflies spawning. And the fact they sold for nothing sucked.

And now, in 1.3, at least I can get 1-2g out of a night's worth of catching rabbits and birds, that's at least something. In fact, it ain't that bad early-game. It can be the difference between being able to buy the ultra-rare Sitting Duck's Pole if it spawns early game or not being able to buy it and end up losing it and having to get your golden fishing rod using the Demonite/Crimtane Rod instead (which is significantly slower).

Did this door/hatch make it into the update?

The blocks themselves are still in game, but they had a feature which was eventually removed due to technical difficulties (and as such, seem a bit out of place in that picture now).

It would be cool if pressure plates could be placed on walls, ceilings and backwalls.

Were there any other weapons changed?

Projectile Pressure Pads can be placed on ceilings and walls, but not backwalls.

Not a weapon, but the Stardust Wings and Nebula Mantle have been buffed to be more in line with the (previously) superior Vortex Booster and Solar Wings!

Noticed there is a "Loading Code" before start(I think it does not happen in 1.3.0.8 unless my memory is wrong), is this intended?
View attachment 112351
Its time is very short, but I am still curious about it.

Remember how during the 1.3 release, the game starting having a blank, black screen the moment you loaded it? A lot of people became concerned, thinking the game was freezing or stuck, and spam-clicking it would give an unresponsive error. That was actually a load period; that loading now occurs during this visible screen, so its more apparent what is going on.

You don't like getting easy money?

I don't like getting money so easily that finances can be made entirely trivial simply by obtaining a bug net, fifteen dirt blocks, a bunny/bird statue, and finding a pre-laid trap underground. It felt like choosing to exploit the available resources trivialized money from the beginning of the game to the middle of hardmode. Choosing not to exploit them meant any other method of farming money was just taking the long path for the sake of nobility, and that just makes you seem like a self-righteous :red: who pretends to be better than other people for 'playing the game the right way.'

There is no right way to play Terraria, it's a sandbox game for a reason. However, giving thee players more options is always a good thing to do. This change just gives us less options, which is never a good game.

There is no right way to play Terraria, it's a sandbox game for a reason. However, giving thee players more options is always a good thing to do. This change just gives us less options, which is never a good game.

Eh, I beg to differ. When you have an overpowered exploit that makes all other options seem too weak in comparison, you're removing content, because people will never bother with it.

Let's say for example, there was an exploit that allowed you to have the Solar Eruption at the very beginning of the game. What's the point in any other weapon up until the Moon Lord except Daybreak, then? There's absolutely no reason you'd use any other melee weapon (or magic, or ranged!) whatsoever because of how powerful it is.

That's basically removing a huge chunk of content.

As for this... why bother with money and prices at all, if you can just find a statue, a bit of wire and a pressure plate? Why not just have NPCs give you what you need, and not worry about stuff like coin portals, pots, and making money the ole fashioned way?

And since the ole fashioned way is inferior (you can't make 2-3 plat per hour with much of anything in normal mode), that is basically "removed content" because nobody is gonna do it because a superior way exists. Much like if you started with a Solar Eruption, you're not gonna touch any other weapon whatsoever.

Eh, I beg to differ. When you have an overpowered exploit that makes all other options seem too weak in comparison, you're removing content, because people will never bother with it.

Let's say for example, there was an exploit that allowed you to have the Solar Eruption at the very beginning of the game. What's the point in any other weapon up until the Moon Lord except Daybreak, then? There's absolutely no reason you'd use any other melee weapon (or magic, or ranged!) whatsoever because of how powerful it is.

That's basically removing a huge chunk of content.

As for this... why bother with money and prices at all, if you can just find a statue, a bit of wire and a pressure plate? Why not just have NPCs give you what you need, and not worry about stuff like coin portals, pots, and making money the ole fashioned way?

And since the ole fashioned way is inferior (you can't make 2-3 plat per hour with much of anything in normal mode), that is basically "removed content" because nobody is gonna do it because a superior way exists. Much like if you started with a Solar Eruption, you're not gonna touch any other weapon whatsoever.
If they balanced the statues, or removed the sell value of critters, which was a pretty dumb change tbh, then the statues clwould pretty much be used exclusively for bait. Terraria is a game of choice, and while that old method was OP, that's not saying that there are other ways of getting money easily. Take expert queen bee, you can get lots of money really easily. I really don't want to play this fantastic game anymore, because this change is really infuriating. Half the new statues are now useless because of this unbalanced change. There is surely a way around this change. They shouldn't have gone to this as their conclusion. They should come to a compromise, satisfy more people, not just themselves. ( Which I know they have the capability to do )

If they balanced the statues, or removed the sell value of critters, which was a pretty dumb change tbh, then the statues clwould pretty much be used exclusively for bait.

What was a dumb change? Sale prices on critters? That was an awesome change. I remember the days of catching 30, 40 critters trying to get fireflies at night early-game. I will tell you that 1-2g per night is very welcome early-game. I hated the fact they had no sell price.

As to "balancing" the statues, they want the statues to spit out critters, but they don't want to hand over several platinum per hour or infinite bait. The only other way is to make the critters not catchable.

Terraria is a game of choice, and while that old method was OP, that's not saying that there are other ways of getting money easily. Take expert queen bee, you can get lots of money really easily.

Considering the need to make abeeminations, and the fact that if you were still in easymode, it took quite a bit of work to kill the queen bee. Contrast that to... you know, standing there swinging a bug net in 100% safety with no danger?

I really don't want to play this fantastic game anymore, because this change is really infuriating.

You don't want to play just because you have to actually work for money now? Oi. Why not just go to a Builder's Workshop and grab one of the 999 platinum stacks? Save yourself a bit of time swinging the bug net at statues.

Half the new statues are now useless because of this unbalanced change. There is surely a way around this change. They shouldn't have gone to this as their conclusion. They should come to a compromise, satisfy more people, not just themselves. ( Which I know they have the capability to do )

They have a use. They were meant to be flavor/fluff, or for tripping switches. They were NOT meant to completely break the game's money/fishing systems.

That's like saying Vanity Armor is useless because it all has 0 defense, or the Water Fountains are useless because it doesn't do anything but change the water's color.

If they balanced the statues, or removed the sell value of critters, which was a pretty dumb change tbh, then the statues clwould pretty much be used exclusively for bait. Terraria is a game of choice, and while that old method was OP, that's not saying that there are other ways of getting money easily. Take expert queen bee, you can get lots of money really easily. I really don't want to play this fantastic game anymore, because this change is really infuriating. Half the new statues are now useless because of this unbalanced change. There is surely a way around this change. They shouldn't have gone to this as their conclusion. They should come to a compromise, satisfy more people, not just themselves. ( Which I know they have the capability to do )
Infinite bait from critters? No thank you, it is balanced, if you are talking about bunnies as ammo to Bunny Cannon, maybe it is little bad.

@Leinfors what about make a Wizard NPC sell a bunny? I know it is little copied from Tremor mod, but if it could usefull it might help.

I already informed Leinfors about the boom bunnies . It will be addressed soon.
[doublepost=1464025077,1464024875][/doublepost]
What was a dumb change? Sale prices on critters? That was an awesome change. I remember the days of catching 30, 40 critters trying to get fireflies at night early-game. I will tell you that 1-2g per night is very welcome early-game. I hated the fact they had no sell price.

As to "balancing" the statues, they want the statues to spit out critters, but they don't want to hand over several platinum per hour or infinite bait. The only other way is to make the critters not catchable.

Considering the need to make abeeminations, and the fact that if you were still in easymode, it took quite a bit of work to kill the queen bee. Contrast that to... you know, standing there swinging a bug net in 100% safety with no danger?

You don't want to play just because you have to actually work for money now? Oi. Why not just go to a Builder's Workshop and grab one of the 999 platinum stacks? Save yourself a bit of time swinging the bug net at statues.

They have a use. They were meant to be flavor/fluff, or for tripping switches. They were NOT meant to completely break the game's money/fishing systems.

That's like saying Vanity Armor is useless because it all has 0 defense, or the Water Fountains are useless because it doesn't do anything but change the water's color.
Maybe I did over exaggerate this change. I am just used to this, and none of the other needs have really affected me that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom