PC 1.3.1 : Mechanics and Controller Support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay...the mirror was one thing, but why do none of the gems but diamonds look like gems any more? They look like goop.

Okay...the mirror was one thing, but why do none of the gems but diamonds look like gems any more? They look like goop.
If you are so smart, try to re-sprite every item you doesn't like/love, like you said Magic Mirror or gems: I like it, I think @Lazure need to deserve a very big break and need to be more known than he is. Re-sprited a lot of sprites magic mirror and gems, he remade Golden furniture, no longer look like dull yellow plastic furniture. Wiki editor and members will have to update a lot of images, a looking into Terraria XNB image I found something new, that will be added more and more latter in the next update(s).
What user above said is true.

Let's keep things civil, please. People are allowed to like or dislike the old/new sprites without being attacked for stating their opinions.

I have found The Presserator! Traveling Merchant sells it! Not sure the conditions other than pre Plantera.
The description seems interesting not sure exactly what it does... Bought 4 it is expensive 0_o
Oh it is an accessory, one had a prefix that explains the cost.

I have found The Presserator! Traveling Merchant sells it! Not sure the conditions other than pre Plantera.
The description seems interesting not sure exactly what it does... Bought 4 it is expensive 0_o

I believe you can get it at any point post-Skeletron.

Personally (and this is JUST me, and 100% not official), I think it would be cool if enemies killed with the Medusa head dropped Marble blocks. That gives an infinite source of both Marble and Granite, via different, unique ways. :)

That would only be useful if the blocks had some use.

The blocks are pretty much useless unless you really want to build your houses with that particular block and its furniture. I wouldn't want to have my pockets fill with near useless blocks when fighting.

If enemies killed by the head had a small chance to drop the corresponding statues, that would be cool because not every world spawns with every type of statues. Enemies that have no statues might drop other statues. Undead Miner could drop a bomb statue, perhaps?
[doublepost=1464081479,1464081426][/doublepost]
What does it do??

If enemies killed by the head had a small chance to drop the corresponding statues, that would be cool because not every world spawns with every type of statues. Enemies that have no statues might drop other statues. Undead Miner could drop a bomb statue, perhaps?
That would be pretty cool.

As to the dropping of marble/granite blocks versus statues: Why not both? ;)

What does it do??
The Presserator automatically deploys Actuators as you lay down blocks. It's like the Paint Sprayer.

---
I've encountered a problem with binding the grapple to the thumb button of my mouse.

Er, the actual binding works exactly the way it's supposed to... but after 4K hours of playing with the grapple bound to the somewhat uncomfortable and inconvenient right shift key, I've gotten so used to it that whenever I want to grapple, I hit right shift with my pinky instead of the mouse button with my thumb. :nymph:

Last edited:
Am I alone in absolutely hating the new sprite? I mean, it's a really subtle change to begin with, I know, but to me, this looks like a beta sprite, and the old one looks more interesting. There was a bit more shape and detail to the old one. It had a faceted look, and a frame that felt like it was trying to be ornate with the limited pixels it had to work in. This? This is a jelly bean. This feels like a step down.
Your not alone.

That would be pretty cool.

Why not both? ;)

The Presserator automatically deploys Actuators as you lay down blocks. It's like the Paint Sprayer.

---
I've encountered a problem with binding the grapple to the thumb button of my mouse.

Actually, the actual binding works exactly the way it's supposed to... but after 4K hours of playing with the grapple bound to somewhat uncomfortable and inconvenient right shift key, I've gotten so used to it that whenever I want to grapple, I hit right shift with my pinky instead of the mouse button with my thumb. :nymph:
Thanks. The granite constantly dropping from enemies would be annoying as it only wastes inventory space unless you really like granite furniture. As they have no sell value you just end up quick stacking them to chests or trashing them.

So, this update added Bone Campfires. It's crafted with Bone Torches and wood. Wouldn't it be more logical to have bones instead of wood?

Actually, the same goes to other themed campfired. The wood in Cursed Campfire looks like Ebonwood but it can still be crafted with every type of wood.

So, this update added Bone Campfires. It's crafted with Bone Torches and wood. Wouldn't it be more logical to have bones instead of wood?

Actually, the same goes to other themed campfired. The wood in Cursed Campfire looks like Ebonwood but it can still be crafted with every type of wood.

Consistency.

All campfires take the special torch + any wood. To make one campfire different than all of the rest breaks consistency.

As to the sprites, ever since 1.3, Re-Logic has been trying to add more colors to each sprite and make them more crisp and detailed. If you compare the two images:

Magic_Mirror.png
vs
20160522181827%21Magic_Mirror.png

You can see that they added darker lines around the glass, they changed the shape somewhat and the glass has a few reflective pixels giving it more detail, which makes it more in line with other sprites added in 1.3.

I think it gives the game a more crisp, new look.

Also, are you guys seriously trying to say that this:

20160522164924%21Large_Gem.png

looks better than this:

120px-Large_Gem.png

Seriously?

That would only be useful if the blocks had some use.

The blocks are pretty much useless unless you really want to build your houses with that particular block and its furniture. I wouldn't want to have my pockets fill with near useless blocks when fighting.
You must really hate Martians then.

If you are so smart, try to re-sprite every item you doesn't like/love, like you said Magic Mirror or gems: I like it, I think @Lazure need to deserve a very big break and need to be more known than he is. Re-sprited a lot of sprites magic mirror and gems, he remade Golden furniture, no longer look like dull yellow plastic furniture. Wiki editor and members will have to update a lot of images, a looking into Terraria XNB image I found something new, that will be added more and more latter in the next update(s).
What user above said is true.

Why the hell does not liking the look of something equate to me having artistic skill? I mean, good job implying that it takes artistic skill to have eyes and opinions, but no. It's not even like I dislike all the changes. The watches, for instance? They look a lot nicer. The gems and magic mirror do not. They both lost detail.

...and @Xylia you're using the large gems as an example. The small gems actually lost detail. Did they get a "cleaner" appearance? Maybe, but in exchange the faceting they had was taken away, and their shapes simplified. They don't look like gems any more, but rather candy; gum drops and Jolly Ranchers. It's the same for the Magic Mirror - its shape got rounded off and bubbled. It kind of looks like a mirror, still, but it doesn't look as magical...actually, it kind of looks like someone took the smudge tool to the original, and then just touched up the colours a little.

Oh...but honestly? While the large gems are sharper now, the old ones didn't look bad. It may just be seeing them out of context, but looking at them here, I actually think the new designs clash slightly with the overall visual style of the game, which is closer to 16-bit graphics, while they look a bit more 32-bit. Visual consistency is important too.

Last edited:
@Kefke : I thought people meant the Large Gems... okay, checking the small gems, they did the same thing:

The Old Small Gems had what looked like lots of cracks all over them and they were very pixellated. The 1.3.1 small gems look like they are finely polished (the removal of all of the stray "crack" pixels). Here's some comparisons:

Amethyst.png
/
20160522221150%21Amethyst.png

20160523002533%21Sapphire.png
/
20160522221133%21Sapphire.png

Topaz.png
/
20160522221146%21Topaz.png

Emerald.png
/
20160522221141%21Emerald.png

Ruby.png
/
20160522221137%21Ruby.png

Diamond.png
/
20160522221153%21Diamond.png

Amber.png
/
20160522225417%21Amber.png

Now, you can see that some detail was removed, in some of them, but yet this was done to give them a more "polished stone" look, to make them look shinier and more valuable. The old sprites made them look like rough, uncut gems and the new ones make them look like smooth cut and polished stones and the new sprites are more in-line with other 1.3 sprites (such as the metal bars).

@Kefke : I thought people meant the Large Gems... okay, checking the small gems, they did the same thing:

The Old Small Gems had what looked like lots of cracks all over them and they were very pixellated. The 1.3.1 small gems look like they are finely polished (the removal of all of the stray "crack" pixels). Here's some comparisons:

Amethyst.png
/
20160522221150%21Amethyst.png

20160523002533%21Sapphire.png
/
20160522221133%21Sapphire.png

Topaz.png
/
20160522221146%21Topaz.png

Emerald.png
/
20160522221141%21Emerald.png

Ruby.png
/
20160522221137%21Ruby.png

Diamond.png
/
20160522221153%21Diamond.png

Amber.png
/
20160522225417%21Amber.png

Now, you can see that some detail was removed, in some of them, but yet this was done to give them a more "polished stone" look, to make them look shinier and more valuable. The old sprites made them look like rough, uncut gems and the new ones make them look like smooth cut and polished stones and the new sprites are more in-line with other 1.3 sprites (such as the metal bars).
I thought they were supposed to look like rought uncut gems, since you just mined them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom