1.3.1 Passcode-Protected Door v3.0 (featuring counter, reset, and auto-shut-off mechanisms)

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
This is a guide to my 1.3.1 version of the passcode-protected door. I created two versions of the passcode-protected door prior to 1.3.1 which you can read about here:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/hoiktronics-passcode-protected-doors.8350/
http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...passcode-protected-door-video-tutorial.12232/

This new version showcases some of the things you can do with logic gates. Although 6 basic logic gates were included in the update, it's only necessary to use one of them (any one will do). I elected to use AND gates.

Video:

Schematics:

ARPJ44D.png
De9OL4L.png

Mechanism of Operation:

The player starts by inputting 5 digits (the digits can repeat) by pulling levers. After 5 lever pulls, the door will remain closed if the wrong passcode was input, and will open if the right passcode was input. The player can continue inputting digits at this point. Additionally, the player can pull the reset lever (located on the far left) at any time and try again. If the door opens, the reset lever will close it again.

The correct passcode is: 17747

The passcode can be changed to any other 5-digit number by connecting the wires to other levers. Either the same color wires can be used in conjunction with wire bypassers, or a wire color-change mechanism can be used using AND gates. It is also possible to camouflage the code by connecting non-functional wires to the levers and shifting the mechanism off-screen below the player.

Explanation:

The mechanism is divided up into two parts. The left portion is the counter mechanism, which keeps track of the number of lever pulls. The right portion is the tracker that keeps track of the correct inputs. Both the left and right halves are structurally identical.

The middle row of AND gates in the left portion keeps track of the number of times the levers are pulled. After the 5th pull a reset pressure plate is activated. The middle row of the right portion works similarly, but only keeps track of certain digits and only if they are input in the correct order.

The bottom row functions as a reset, which is explained further in this thread:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-1-single-switch-reset-mechanism.43845/

The top row of AND gates (with single lamps above the gate boxes) function as automatic shut-offs. When a signal turns on the lamp at the top, it activates the box below it, which in turn turns on the lamp below the box. The box also feeds back onto the topmost lamp, turning it off, which causes the box itself to turn off. This way the AND gate is only momentarily turned on.

World Download:

Coming soon.

Last edited:
Here's a question; would it be possible to use logic gates for allowing created passcodes that the player inputs through the levers? Or are they not as robust as the methods used in your previous builds?

Here's a question; would it be possible to use logic gates for allowing created passcodes that the player inputs through the levers? Or are they not as robust as the methods used in your previous builds?

That's the next step: creating programmable passcode-protected doors. They are definitely doable with logic gates - in fact the gates will replace most of the hoiktronics components as I update all my past builds! However, before I work on the updates I first plan on another guide detailing how to build giant logic gates using just the AND basic gates - the giant gates will allow for any number of inputs and outputs, and allow us to create a lot of the machinery with ease :).

That's the next step: creating programmable passcode-protected doors. They are definitely doable with logic gates - in fact the gates will replace most of the hoiktronics components as I update all my past builds! However, before I work on the updates I first plan on another guide detailing how to build giant logic gates using just the AND basic gates - the giant gates will allow for any number of inputs and outputs, and allow us to create a lot of the machinery with ease :).

I'll deeeefinitely be interested in that giant built logic gate guide. It might help me figure out how to add more than eight destination teleporters without my wires wanting to combine.

On another note, it's kind of bittersweet that logic gates are replacing most of the hoiktronics. Good in the sense that these builds are going to be more compact, but sad in the sense that hoiktronics are just so fun to do. I may try to use both in future builds and see what I can come up with based around your guides. :D

Show us a looping shifter?

Still thinking about how to build it. I worked out how to build the components (BCD/binary conversion, ripple-carry adders, BCD/decimal conversion) in a systematic way which I'll present in another thread (1.3.1 how to build giant logic gates). I plan to rebuild the entire adder with decimal inputs and outputs very soon.

I like how you used those dart traps & projectile pressure plates. Pretty much an alternative to using hoiktronics/timer cascades for one-way wiring.

I tried it, but with letters (naturally, the only difference is that there's more levers) and 8-letter password. The dart traps on the counting side all fire at the same time (after pulling any letter except for the reset one). I'm kinda lost - what did I do wrong?
Capture 2016-05-25 00_31_46.png
Capture 2016-05-25 00_31_50.png

Attachments

• Capture 2016-05-25 00_31_46.png
    Capture 2016-05-25 00_31_46.png
    57 KB · Views: 76
  • Capture 2016-05-25 00_31_50.png
    Capture 2016-05-25 00_31_50.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 92
I tried it, but with letters (naturally, the only difference is that there's more levers) and 8-letter password. The dart traps on the counting side all fire at the same time (after pulling any letter except for the reset one). I'm kinda lost - what did I do wrong? View attachment 112677 View attachment 112678

Ah, I neglected to add one detail to the guide (I mentioned it in another thread, but forgot to add it to the guide).

For the counter, you need to make sure you run the wire from all the levers through an *odd* number of AND gates. Since you have the yellow wire from the switches connected to 8 AND gates at the top, you'll have to add one dummy AND gate to make the counter work properly. The problem with using an even number of them is that one AND gate will undo the shut-off from another AND gate.

In my example build you'll notice that there is a free floating 1 lamp AND gate in the top left corner. Its only purpose is to make an odd number of connections.

Let me know if that fixes the problem for you!

Ah, I neglected to add one detail to the guide (I mentioned it in another thread, but forgot to add it to the guide).

For the counter, you need to make sure you run the wire from all the levers through an *odd* number of AND gates. Since you have the yellow wire from the switches connected to 8 AND gates at the top, you'll have to add one dummy AND gate to make the counter work properly. The problem with using an even number of them is that one AND gate will undo the shut-off from another AND gate.

In my example build you'll notice that there is a free floating 1 lamp AND gate in the top left corner. Its only purpose is to make an odd number of connections.

Let me know if that fixes the problem for you!
Thanks, it works perfectly! I added the dummy gate from your example without really understanding it's purpose, that caused it. Removing it helped. It's actually kinda strange that it works that way.

Back
Top Bottom