Standalone [1.4.0.5] Terraria Leveled RPG mod

So I'm of two minds about this mod.

On the positive side, I like the customization, the learning of abilities, the ability to set abilities and pick-n-mix the bonuses, and I like how my character is progressing without the necessity to get items to make my character stronger.

It adds a new and interesting aspect to gameplay, I actually care about mining ores, or doing fishing more than just the quests.

All of that is good stuff!

Though on the downside.... the mod seems to make a non-standard progression path incredibly difficult. For example, I wanted to make an Amazon Pre-EoC... uh, nope, not doing that... everything in underground Jungle takes 1 damage and can kill me in 4-5 hits.

Goblin Invasion was MUCH harder than I remember it being in vanilla for some odd reason, and I had some trouble with the EoW because it too seemed like it was harder than I thought it should have been. I might have been a level or two under the recommended level of the area (~Lv22 in a Lv24 area) but still...

Ah well, got enough for a pickaxe, and decided to go to the underworld, and the goblin army spawned. Good thing it did, because the Harpoon I got from the Goblins was the only weapon capable of doing more than 1 damage to the mobs in the underworld, lol. Died several times because of cheap worms not letting me alone, but eventually got a Fiery Greatsword and Molten Armor.

Now I can just Roflstomp the rest of Easy Mode, lol.

But yeesh, the amount of work it took trying to get up there.

I suppose part of my problems was wonky worldgen too... I mean seriously I don't even have Boots yet, stupid stuff coming out of chests (Ice Boomerang? *sigh* An ice blade would have been a lot nicer and I seriously don't want a snowball cannon, I mean really now...)

But all-in-all, I've been having fun with it and that's what matters most!

EDIT: Yay.... another over-tuned boss... are all the bosses like this, or something? I was having my usual good time in the Jungle, it feels rather close to the same challenge as vanilla......UNTIL I ran into the Bee Queen. I noticed this with EoW and even the EoC, it seems like the bosses are tuned just a little too high. The mobs near the bosses are about the same as vanilla, so they appear to be balanced decently, but man the bosses...

Not everybody is an Expert player. I'd say Queen Bee needs to lose about 10 Damage/Defense and like 20% Health or some-such to bring her in-line with how she is in Vanilla.

Last edited:
So anyways, as an update I killed Skeletron who was weirdly far easier than Queen Bee. He did comparable damage, but is FAR easier to dodge and doesn't inflict Poison.

The dungeon mobs in particular seem quite a bit weaker than those in the Jungle, despite being a higher level. Not that I'm saying the Dungeon should be buffed, I just think the Underground Jungle is tuned just a slice too high.

Underworld seems reasonable thusfar, but it'll be awhile before I can summon the WoF. So it just seems like EoW and Queen Bee are just slightly too high damage output, and perhaps Eater's defense... since it's hard to find actual good weapons before getting to that point, other than grenades which can be dangerous in that kind of area.

So anyways, as an update I killed Skeletron who was weirdly far easier than Queen Bee. He did comparable damage, but is FAR easier to dodge and doesn't inflict Poison.

The dungeon mobs in particular seem quite a bit weaker than those in the Jungle, despite being a higher level. Not that I'm saying the Dungeon should be buffed, I just think the Underground Jungle is tuned just a slice too high.

Underworld seems reasonable thusfar, but it'll be awhile before I can summon the WoF. So it just seems like EoW and Queen Bee are just slightly too high damage output, and perhaps Eater's defense... since it's hard to find actual good weapons before getting to that point, other than grenades which can be dangerous in that kind of area.
Thank you for this feedback. I had always pictured progression this way. Surface > Underground = Snow = Desert > Caverns > EoC > Corruption/Crimson > EoW/BoC > Skeletron > Dungeon > Goblin Invasion > Underground Jungle > Queen Bee > Underworld
But, goblin invasion was a rebalance I forgot to make. I was going to change their level from 30~ to about ~25.
If it is requested enough to rebalance pre-hard mode, I'll take some suggestions.

*blinks* That's an odd progression list... I've never heard of anybody placing the Jungle after the Dungeon.

Not saying that's wrong per se, I've just never heard of that before. But that would explain why this mod seemed to make the game so ridiculously hard, because I was expecting this (because of my years of vanilla):

Surface -> Underground/Snow -> EoC -> EoW/BoC -> Jungle/Queen -> Skeletron/Dungeon -> Underworld

Though in all actuality, since I got skilled at sneaking Hellstone out of the Underworld early, I always did this in Vanilla:

Surface -> Underground/Snow -> EoC -> EoW/BoC -> Underworld -> Jungle -> Dungeon -> WoF (Though, sometimes I'd get a Reaver shark ASAP and have Hellstone before EoC haha)

But that's just a personal shortcut of mine to allow me to steamroll everything else, lol.

But at least now I know why the mod seemed so ridiculously hard... I did not expect Jungle was supposed to be after Dungeon, lol. That was... odd. It was certainly a surprise! haha.

Maybe I'll try another playthrough at some point with that in mind. It'll probably go a lot better, at least.

its kinda funny how people are complaining about the difficulty of this game when the intention of the mod is to make the game harder...but then again its kinda what i'm expecting from Vanilla players...as vanilla is pretty much Super Easy in compare to what this mod offers so once that new little thing surprises them...it brings quite discomfort. With a little preparation and "Fortitude" and determination i think they will feel way more rewarded for there Hardwork.

its kinda funny how people are complaining about the difficulty of this game when the intention of the mod is to make the game harder...but then again its kinda what i'm expecting from Vanilla players...as vanilla is pretty much Super Easy in compare to what this mod offers so once that new little thing surprises them...it brings quite discomfort. With a little preparation and "Fortitude" and determination i think they will feel way more rewarded for there Hardwork.

I must have missed it somewhere on the front page where it said the mod was intended to make the game harder? *shrugs*

I downloaded the mod because it has an RPG/XP System.

If I wanted "harder", I'd go load up Expert. Simple enough logic, right?

No need to break out the tryhard mentality, to be honest. My apologies for being a scrub who just wants to spend an hour or two at a time to relax and have some fun without sitting on the edge of my seat, balls-to-the-walls, trying to beat Dark Souls or something.

Because seriously, if I wanted that... I'd go play Dark Souls, or Expert Mode, or IWBTG, or what not.

I must have missed it somewhere on the front page where it said the mod was intended to make the game harder? *shrugs*

I downloaded the mod because it has an RPG/XP System.

If I wanted "harder", I'd go load up Expert. Simple enough logic, right?

No need to break out the tryhard mentality, to be honest. My apologies for being a scrub who just wants to spend an hour or two at a time to relax and have some fun without sitting on the edge of my seat, balls-to-the-walls, trying to beat Dark Souls or something.

Because seriously, if I wanted that... I'd go play Dark Souls, or Expert Mode, or IWBTG, or what not.

its good to have a challenge once in a while no need for apologies sweetie the mod is not for everyone and it has a bit of a learning curve to understand but hey that's what a game is about overcoming challenges and having fun doing it

Just don't expect to steamroll the mod like you would in vanilla..this mod kinda makes you put a little more effort into it. hense the name Terraria Leveled

Last edited:
Uh... Quite honestly, my intention was never to make it harder than vanilla. My goal was to somewhat keep the original balance. This is stated in the first post. I've been failing this since the beginning of the mod. And apparently, I'm still failing at this.
I made Critical Mode for people who wanted a harder mode.

I disagree...i think you been doing quite well on the project. during the Testing phase i always seen it as a more challenging version of vanilla ...balancing things to be absolutely perfect is not easy and requires alot of trial and error but you also cant please everyone eather. Everyone is gonna have a different taste in gameplay style and Difficulty.

Uh... Quite honestly, my intention was never to make it harder than vanilla. My goal was to somewhat keep the original balance. This is stated in the first post. I've been failing this since the beginning of the mod. And apparently, I'm still failing at this.
I made Critical Mode for people who wanted a harder mode.

I think you've been doing okay, my confusion was merely because of the odd changes, and perhaps just a wee bit over-tune on Eater of Worlds.

And as @Sumenora said, game balance is not easy. There are people who get paid upper five-figure salaries to do this stuff, and sometimes whole teams of people can't get it right.

I think for the most part, you did a pretty good job at it. Just small little tweaks here&there perhaps, and you've got it pretty well down-pat. My initial surprise/confusion mainly stems from the fact that we had different ideas as to what the progression should have been (placing the Jungle after the Dungeon).

See, that's the thing with a sandbox game like Terraria, or Minecraft -- progression was meant to be more open-ended and when you try to take that, and make it more linear, some people who used a non-standard progression mode (or perhaps if you yourself were used to one), people are gonna end up confused when the progression is suddenly changed on them.

But no worries. It just takes a bit of grinding. I should have been a little more patient. Right now I'm like Lv36 and absolutely nothing in the dungeon can really hurt me whatsoever. Been a while since I've been to the Jungle, once I get a Nazar to drop (lol, if I ever get a Nazar to drop...) I'll go back there and try again and see what it looks like.

Maybe I was just trying it too early, maybe me trying to keep a healthy balance of the stats was the problem, not entirely sure.

Anyways, the mod is still cool and I still like it.

There is just something awesome about adding XP systems... now I enjoy doing each and every action in the game, knowing it's making my character stronger. Seeing those little blue numbers pop up on the screen just makes things more satisfying.

EDIT: Oh yes, a couple minor points/suggestions:

1). Could we please please, pretty please, add an Auto-Pause feature to the Stat Flower/Ability Windows? Is that possible? Sometimes it is difficult to try to adjust your stats and abilities without something bothering you, and Escape does not close these windows like it does every other window in the game. Just a minor little nitpick, but it would be a huge QoL change.

2). Projectiles give XP. Is this intended? If I swing my sword at, say, the water bolts fired by Dark Casters in the dungeon, should they be giving me XP? lol

@gotest :

I have a wee bit of feedback.... Purple Clubberfish XP seems a little overpowered. Fishing XP doesn't seem to scale to your level like other XP gains do. Normally this is fine, but said Clubberfish is really easy to catch and gives a whopping 650XP. I'm Lv45 (and still pre-Hardmode) and I'm still gaining about half a level a game-day just by fishing in the Corruption. Given their ease of catching, I'd say that the Clubberfish would be more balanced if it were about 150-200XP or so.

Also, Corruption Crates give zero XP whatsoever.

@gotest :

I have a wee bit of feedback.... Purple Clubberfish XP seems a little overpowered. Fishing XP doesn't seem to scale to your level like other XP gains do. Normally this is fine, but said Clubberfish is really easy to catch and gives a whopping 650XP. I'm Lv45 (and still pre-Hardmode) and I'm still gaining about half a level a game-day just by fishing in the Corruption. Given their ease of catching, I'd say that the Clubberfish would be more balanced if it were about 150-200XP or so.

Also, Corruption Crates give zero XP whatsoever.
Yeah, I need to add EXP values to the biome crates and various other fish. I didn't realize how common the Clubberfish was. I assumed it was rare, hence the high EXP amount.

The auto pause thing might be a good idea. I could probably add a setting in the options to allow it when the stat flower is open. I could also make it where any of the three windows close when you press esc when the inventory is open.

Also, thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it.
Sorry for the late response. Busy, busy...

Yeah, I need to add EXP values to the biome crates and various other fish. I didn't realize how common the Clubberfish was. I assumed it was rare, hence the high EXP amount.

The auto pause thing might be a good idea. I could probably add a setting in the options to allow it when the stat flower is open. I could also make it where any of the three windows close when you press esc when the inventory is open.

Also, thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it.
Sorry for the late response. Busy, busy...

NP! I imagine you got a RL and then coding, and all that stuff, not to mention trying to enjoy actually PLAYING games between... haha.

But yeah, Clubberfish... I catch 10-15 of them in one game-day with full angler's clothes, earring, and high test line with potion... but it's an easy assumption to make just eyeballing the numbers on wiki. I think the Clubberfish is the only tool/weapon fish like this, I don't think any of the others are that ridiculously easy to catch.

Just updated Leveled to 11.1.
Version 11.1 (4/12/17):
Added EXP values to fishing that didn't have any. Such as Bombfish, Biome Crates, etc.
Slightly nerfed NPC/Enemy HP at levels 22 and higher.
Added an autopause option to the Stat Flower.
Added an option where the inventory toggle key closes stat windows.
Possibly fixed Celestial Tower EXP.
Some text fixes.
Added an error message at you heart location if there's a probleim with the hud not showing up.
Possibly fixed an issue where most of the interface disappears when there's an error with the HUD.

Just updated Leveled to 11.1.
Version 11.1 (4/12/17):
Added EXP values to fishing that didn't have any. Such as Bombfish, Biome Crates, etc.
Slightly nerfed NPC/Enemy HP at levels 22 and higher.
Added an autopause option to the Stat Flower.
Added an option where the inventory toggle key closes stat windows.
Possibly fixed Celestial Tower EXP.
Some text fixes.
Added an error message at you heart location if there's a probleim with the hud not showing up.
Possibly fixed an issue where most of the interface disappears when there's an error with the HUD.

Hmmm welp time to update guys. <3

umm I want to say,maybe it's me but it seem that i can't scroll down the skills list,maybe i can get some help?

Back
Top Bottom