1.3.4 is LIVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @OddGirl, as a huge summoning fan myself, I'd have loved to see one of these sets be a Summoning armor. But unfortunately, all of the functionality of the DD2 armors was inspired by the core classes from DD2, and despite the "4 Terraria classes : 4 DD2 classes" symmetry, none of them fit into the Summoning niche.

Rest assured, I'm always pushing for opportunities to enhance the Summoning class, but these 8 armors won't be that, unfortunately.

boo ;) but totally understandable. Thanks, Leinfors! The update is pretty dang awesome!

5 melee weapons, 2 ranged, 2 weak mage weapons and 0 for active summoner. Disappointment, looks like warrior class is really loved by creators. Also these not working banners are lame and shame.

Also lame accesories for sentries that can't be combined into one bigger. 5 accesory slots is already too low ammount and now it's even worse. Hoping 1.3.5 brings needed changes into accesory slots and more combination, to create 5 ultimate accesories.

5 melee weapons, 2 ranged, 2 weak mage weapons and 0 for active summoner. Disappointment, looks like warrior class is really loved by creators. Also these not working banners are lame and shame.

Tome of Infinite Wisdom is very good at the point in which it is gotten. I wouldn't call it "weak" except that it is not end-game viable. By that metric, you'd have to also include the 3 "weak" melee weapons and the 1 "weak" ranged weapon which are also not end-game viable.

With the exception of the Glaive, which is sort of an outlier, the weapons are equally and directly taken from DD2 core classes.

- 2 swords from the Squire (1 early HM, 1 late HM)
- 2 bows from the Huntress (1 early HM, 1 late HM)
- 2 staves from the Apprentice (1 early HM, 1 late HM)
- 2 poles from the Monk (1 early HM, 1 late HM)

That the DD2 core classes happen to be 2 melee, 1 ranged, 1 magic is more responsible for this than anything else.

As for the banners, they don't work because the event was not designed around the concept of tremendously nerfing enemy potency just by killing a few of them. It would have made the event too easy, especially on subsequent replays. They are still in game for decoration, which I pushed strongly for, because I'm a huge banner fan myself.

"Outside of the DD2 Invasion event, you now have a limit of one sentry summon at a time"
Well, that's a shame. Is there any reason in particular why this change was made? It pretty much scrapped my main summoner (had Queen Spider Staff, Staff of the Frost Hydra, Lunar Portal Staff, Rainbow Crystal Staff, and the Clinger Staff). I would have these summoned around the area I was in, in different locations.

Last edited:
"Outside of the DD2 Invasion event, you now have a limit of one sentry summon at a time"
Well, that's a shame. Is there any reason in particular why this change was made? It pretty much scrapped my main summoner (had Queen Spider Staff, Staff of the Frost Hydra, Lunar Portal Staff, Rainbow Crystal Staff, and the Clinger Staff). I would have these summoned around the area I was in, in different locations.
You can actually increase this # with some of the DD2 Content.

Vorcov you have accesories that allow more sentry summoning but they are lame because they can't be combined into 1 big. You can have more than 1 if you were these accesories, and you can create multiple same sentries (like 3 rainbow crystals at once) when you wear them

Well, that's a shame. Is there any reason in particular that this change was made? It pretty much scrapped my main summoner (had Queen Spider Staff, Staff of the Frost Hydra, Lunar Portal Staff, Rainbow Crystal Staff, and the Clinger Staff). I would have these summoned around the area I was in, in different locations.

I'll start by saying that Clinger Staff, for all of its numerous weaknesses, isn't a sentry summon, so its not influenced by this change.

But moving onto the meat of the issue-

Sentry turrets were, until this update, a very limited pool of items. There were only 4 of them, and they slowly snuck into the game across a period of almost two years. There were never enough of them to make a huge impact on the game, and by the time you had access to the Lunar Portal Staff and RCS, the Queen Spider and, to an extent, the Frost Hydra, were somewhat outdated.

Because of the low impact of these items, and the low number of them, the fact that there WAS no limit on them sort of slipped past the radar. It wasn't "intentional" that you could use all turrets at once, so much as it wasn't even considered. The moment the higher ups realized the impact this unintended element could have, especially with the incoming addition of a dozen more sentry turrets, it was removed. This doesn't mean that it was "the addition of more staves that led to the change". It was merely that, while adding these staves, this design was given more attention and it was decided that it wasn't what was intended. One way you could state it is, "If we had known at the time of putting the Frost Hydra Staff into the game that there would eventually be a bunch of them, this limit would have been there from the start."

I've mentioned before that we've included armors and accessories which actually buff this sub-class of the summoner (though its not compatible with a full minion build) so that you can actually have MORE turrets than you could before this update, with significantly higher damage. And that's a gear choice you can choose to make or not to make, as with any choice in the game.

Long story short, it wasn't intended that any player, of any gear selection, could use all 4 Sentry Summons at a time without any sacrifice in terms of equipment. It got this way because of the low number of Sentries and the long period of time over which they were added, and now that more attention has been paid to it, it has been changed, with some buffs to potential as well as the removal of the free multiple sentries.

Imagine combining those armors with luminite and stardust fragments to creater post moon-lord sentry set armor and something similar to create post-moon lord thrower class armor...

upload_2016-11-16_18-16-9.png

Weird people, those Etherians.

Is creation shock debuff applied to all players on a server, or only those in proximity of the activated crystal stand?

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight behind the design choice. Being in the QA industry for the past 9 years(just now realizing that it has been so long o.o ), I was wondering if it had to do with the new summoner gear that was coming with this update (to which I was wondering if a limit of active sentries would be imposed since there were already 4). Is there a library of past updates for Terraria available somewhere? I'm thinking of rolling back to pre-1.3.4 :\

Is creation shock debuff applied to all players on a server, or only those in proximity of the activated crystal stand?

Creative Shock is applied to everyone within a certain range of the activated crystal stand. Leaving this range will end the debuff, even in single player. :)

Reactions: pbq
Not meaning to play dev's advocate here, but I didn't mind the pumpkin harvest change much. During the Halloween season alone you can harvest thousands and thousands of them just going through the surface. Usually those last quite a while.

But from what I read here today, I think I'm alone there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom