Resolved 1.3.5.3 UFO Confusion Confusion

Discussion in 'PC Bug Reports' started by happyfaic72, Sep 10, 2017.

1. happyfaic72

happyfaic72 Skeletron Prime

When inflicted with the Confused debuff on the UFO, pressing W goes down, pressing S does nothing, pressing D goes left, and pressing A goes up and right. The way it should work is: W=down, A=right, S=up, D=left.

2. Leinfors

Leinfors Quality Assurance Staff Member Moderator Re-Logic

Huh; rather unusually, I don't think anyone has ever reported this before. Seems like it would be pretty common, but apparently not.

I've confirmed it in game; thanks for the report!

happyfaic72 likes this.
  3. Leinfors

So!

You learn something new every day.

The Confused Debuff does NOT directly invert your controls! This is a common misconception that I myself had as well.

Apparently, while Confused, the "Down" Input does nothing, and the "Left" Input goes Up/Right. However, this is only visible in a handful of scenarios, since "Up" is an input very rarely used. Flying Mounts are one of those scenarios. But if you want to check another example, set up a net of rope and try using Down or Left on it, and you'll see it follows this.

This is working as intended, despite the fact that its not particularly visible or known by the community. So there is that!

happyfaic72 likes this.
  4. happyfaic72

happyfaic72 Skeletron Prime

Awesome! I only managed to notice when I was farming in a hallowed desert during a sandstorm and ghouls kept confusing me, so I guess I can see how no one else had experienced this.

5. MetoolDaddy

MetoolDaddy Spazmatism

While not a bug, it's a really weird way to implement a confusion type debuff

6. Leinfors

I can't say I disagree!

7. KM132

KM132 Spazmatism

Is this really intended? The way it's coded makes it look like it was supposed to invert the controls, though I could always be mistaken.

If it is intended, then there's a very minor input bug regarding the confused controls: normally, holding "left" and "right" will cancel out sideways input (as its pointless to go both directions at once). While confused, however, holding "left" and "right" will also cancel the left key's upwards input.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  8. Leinfors

Yorai looked at the code specifically when he explained this to me, and it was all intended as he explained it.

As for potential bug, if left and right cancel each other out normally, then I don't see why they wouldn't cancel each other out while confused, even if the actual directions this would move the character aren't the same.

happyfaic72 and KM132 like this.
  9. KM132

KM132 Spazmatism

I was under the assumption that moving right shouldn't cancel out moving upwards, but thanks for clarifying!