Xbox One [1.3.5] Game spontaniously saves world data but not character data during multiplayer

r4v1n6

Terrarian
While hosting a multiplayer game (with only the host present during the entire session), the game spontaniously saves world data (but not the character data) even though Autosave is turned off and no player has died.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Before starting a multiplayer session, make sure Autosave is turned off.
  2. Start a multiplayer session (Multiplayer>Host&Join). I'm using a Small sized world.
  3. Introduce a change to the character (move an item in the inventory), then introduce a change to the world (remove a block).
  4. Wait. (I waited about 20 minutes, the time it takes for the wireless controller to shut itself down due to inuse).
  5. Start the controller again with the Xbox button, then press the Xbox button again to open the Guide. In the Guide shut down Terraria. (Do not use the in-game menu option Save & Exit).
  6. Start up the game again and load the character and world you used. (it doesn't matter if you do it in Singleplayer or Multiplayer).
  7. The change you did to the character should not be present, however the change you did to the world should be there.
This issue caused me to lose a very rare vanity set (Horned God) and a gold chest. I don't care about losing the chest (easy to get another one), but the vanity set really hurts as it is impossible to get another one. Now I only have one set left sitting in a chest (I also have a few sets on mannequins, but they are still bugged). Supposedly (according to the console 1.3 changelog) the Travelling Merchant sells it, but I have never seen him do that despite having checked many many times. By contrast I have seen him selling the other legacy armor sets (now vanity) several times.

Attachments

• 2020-06-13_14-13-09-tha0bu5v.png
    2020-06-13_14-13-09-tha0bu5v.png
    463.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 2020-06-13_14-13-41-kb0amov2.png
    2020-06-13_14-13-41-kb0amov2.png
    413.7 KB · Views: 111
While hosting a multiplayer game (with only the host present during the entire session), the game spontaniously saves world data (but not the character data) even though Autosave is turned off and no player has died.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Before starting a multiplayer session, make sure Autosave is turned off.
  2. Start a multiplayer session (Multiplayer>Host&Join). I'm using a Small sized world.
  3. Introduce a change to the character (move an item in the inventory), then introduce a change to the world (remove a block).
  4. Wait. (I waited about 20 minutes, the time it takes for the wireless controller to shut itself down due to inuse).
  5. Start the controller again with the Xbox button, then press the Xbox button again to open the Guide. In the Guide shut down Terraria. (Do not use the in-game menu option Save & Exit).
  6. Start up the game again and load the character and world you used. (it doesn't matter if you do it in Singleplayer or Multiplayer).
  7. The change you did to the character should not be present, however the change you did to the world should be there.
This issue caused me to lose a very rare vanity set (Horned God) and a gold chest. I don't care about losing the chest (easy to get another one), but the vanity set really hurts as it is impossible to get another one. Now I only have one set left sitting in a chest (I also have a few sets on mannequins, but they are still bugged). Supposedly (according to the console 1.3 changelog) the Travelling Merchant sells it, but I have never seen him do that despite having checked many many times. By contrast I have seen him selling the other legacy armor sets (now vanity) several times.
Thanks for sharing this here r4.

For other stopping by, you can send bug reports directly to Pipeworks (the team porting the game to console) here: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form You can also share your bugs here for the community to see and possibly help with, but the sending them through the link will make sure they receive your info.

By the way, the game now saves both character and world data if the player dies (when Autosave is off). Previously only the character data was saved. I have kept quiet about this bug as it was useful for duplicating items without jumping through hoops in multiplayer. But since you obviously know about it now I can talk about it.

I think it's bad game design to force the game to save due to some event when the player has expressly made their wish known by disabling Autosave. In fact I think it's rude. The game shouldn't ever save when Autosave is off unless the player expressly asks for it. I now know it's not a bug as you have 'fixed' it, and I also know that pc do it too (and have for a long time). So it's intentional and probably decided by someone at the top of the hierarchy.

On pc this isn't that much of a problem (only annoying) as you can (and should) make backups. On console though, making backups is either difficult or impossible. So if something happens while you are building or testing something that causes you to die, you may be out of luck. The contraption you just built may be broken and the only way to fix it is to tear it all down and start over.

Got around to test if this bug is still present in the current (final) version by Pipeworks, v1.0.1563.6. It's still present. I hope DR will do better with their version.

Back
Top Bottom