1.3.6 Preview: Block Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will this version of terraria finally support windows 64-bit? Being able to allocate more than 4 GB of memory to terraria would help enormously with modding, and from what I'm aware, the windows version of terraria is the only computer version without a 64-bit version.

Will this version of terraria finally support windows 64-bit? Being able to allocate more than 4 GB of memory to terraria would help enormously with modding, and from what I'm aware, the windows version of terraria is the only computer version without a 64-bit version.
Terraria was built in XNA, a language that has since been discontinued and never supported 64 bit when it was in development. Since XNA is still Microsoft's IP and they never made it open source, the odds of getting a 64 bit upgrade to the coding engine is not very likely.

All that means is that upgrading Terraria to 64 bit would mean practically rewriting the entire game from scratch in a new coding language. This is a job that could take a small team like ReLogic years to complete.

really wow..so im like new to this so when is the next update happening to pc??
Many were under the impression it would be out mid-2017, then late-2017, then early-2018 (when I was expected it personally), now mid-2018, etc. etc.

It would be fantastic to get an official ETA that's more specific than "uh... later... I guess?", but it seems like all development on updates to Terraria are going at an extremely 'laxed' rate these days... :redspin:

Last edited:
Hello Terrarians!

As you have noticed from the recent slate of spoilers, our work on Terraria 1.3.6 is bearing some exciting fruit! This update has a lot more in store than we have shared, and with that in mind, we wanted to share one new quality of life feature that we find particularly exciting.

This new feature, which we are calling Block Swap, allows players to replace one block with another without having to break the previous block first! Tired of the way your house looks? Now you no longer have to tear the whole house down to change it. Need to clean up those random clay and stone blocks in your yard? Just swap them all out with your block of choice - much faster than mining them all individually!

Block Swap uses the mining power of the strongest Pickaxe in your inventory. Therefore, you will not be able to replace blocks that you cannot mine and it will take the same number of "swings" to replace a tile that your current pickaxe takes to mine the same block. Here are some additional fun features that Block Swap will bring to Terrarians everywhere:
- Block Swap can be used to change floor (and ceiling) blocks that furniture items are attached to, without breaking the furniture items
- Swapped blocks will keep the hammered shape that the previous blocks had
- Swapped blocks will be actuated if the original block was also actuated
- As an added bonus, you can now swap one chest for a different style of chest without having to empty it first!

Having played around with this feature for a while now, we can confidently say that this is one of those quality of life improvements that we have no idea how we ever lived without. We can’t wait until it is in your hands to see if you agree! Work on 1.3.6 is moving along at a strong pace – stay tuned for further details on what it will contain and when it might arrive. :)
[doublepost=1527502276,1527502185][/doublepost]This Is Alot Better For Stuff like if a block texture gets changed you can do this. Thanks Alot Re logic / Terraria developers

It kinda looks like we now have the ability to angle background walls (i.e. the frames around the windows). Unless of course those are just actuated blocks. It would be nice to be able to do that though.

It kinda looks like we now have the ability to angle background walls (i.e. the frames around the windows). Unless of course those are just actuated blocks. It would be nice to be able to do that though.

Alas, just actuated hammered blocks.

What happens if your pickaxe has increased range (obtained via reforging), does that mean tile placement range will also be increased? If so, exploits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom