1.3.6 Preview: Block Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did someone say I can swap out my ugly wood boxes for ugly stone boxes?

Heck yes.

In all seriousness though, this actually might get me interested in building again. I've been dabbling with bits here and there, but THIS. This will make my life so much easier in the "I really want to replace blocks under those chests, but I can't be bothered to empty it out for two blocks" department.

Could this also be applied to other placeables, such as chairs, tables, light fixtures, etc? Or no?

Just curious. The feature the way it is described is fine as-is, but that would be even more awesome if you could swap any placeable for another placeable as long as it's the same size? Dunno.

But anyways, awesome!

I wonder, are we closer to have an equip slot for a pickaxe maybe? lol. One less thing in my inventory would be awesome.

One of the first things I do early-game is replace all surface stone with dirt, so... right from the very beginning of the game, this will change things all the way through to the end. Awesome.

EDIT: Since we now have the tech to swap blocks without disrupting furniture, could we do the same for background walls (at least, if the existing one was player-placed)? Right now, if you swap a background wall, you are actually hammering out the existing wall first, and THEN placing your new wall which will uproot paintings, torches, etc.

Last edited:
This is a amazing feature my only problem is I now use mods and sadly modded Terraria is at 1.3.5.2 while vanilla is at 1.3.5.3 so needless to say I can't forsee mods updating to 1.3.6 at the same time as vanilla

Very nice, and much appreciated! This nicely complements the existing swap functionality for walls. No more dirt markers getting in the way! No more forgetting where the markers were because I removed them and couldn't remember where they were placed. :)

Does this affect world generated blocks, or only player-placed blocks?

Very nice, and much appreciated! This nicely complements the existing swap functionality for walls. No more dirt markers getting in the way! No more forgetting where the markers were because I removed them and couldn't remember where they were placed. :)

Does this affect world generated blocks, or only player-placed blocks?

Considering the animated pic shows the player replacing stone and ore with dirt, it looks like this works on all blocks provided you have a good enough pickaxe on you.

Considering the animated pic shows the player replacing stone and ore with dirt, it looks like this works on all blocks provided you have a good enough pickaxe on you.
Quite likely, but would be nice to know for sure!

Quite likely, but would be nice to know for sure!

Well, that and they specified the pickaxe rule, and I'm pretty sure that even player-placed lihzarhd blocks don't require higher pickaxes?

It seems to me that they specified the pickaxe rule so that players don't go rushing off with stacks of dirt to get obsidian, demonite, fossils, etc early.

It seems to me that they specified the pickaxe rule so that players don't go rushing off with stacks of dirt to get obsidian, demonite, fossils, etc early.
Or to break into the Corruption/Crimson, Dungeon or Lihzahrd Temple early.

I ask about if they replace world-generated blocks because (if memory serves correctly), wall swapping doesn't work in the middle of naturally generated walls. You have to go to the edge of the wall, to empty space, and work your way in. But player-placed walls can be replaced anywhere. Curious if there are any restrictions on block swapping as well (aside from pickaxe power).

Or to break into the Corruption/Crimson, Dungeon or Lihzahrd Temple early.

I ask about if they replace world-generated blocks because (if memory serves correctly), wall swapping doesn't work in the middle of naturally generated walls. You have to go to the edge of the wall, to empty space, and work your way in. But player-placed walls can be replaced anywhere. Curious if there are any restrictions on block swapping as well (aside from pickaxe power).

From the animated gif, it looks like the only restriction is your reach radius. You can clearly see that they are replacing some of the ore and stone that isn't touching air.

Check out this from the very post you quoted;

To say nothing of the fact that you still need to dig through areas as well, and you will usually need a pickaxe for that, or at least bombs. What if you need to actually dig THROUGH the ore vein to get the the other end of the ore? :)
Oh, now I saw that. Then pickaxes are still useful.

Sweet! This will make things a lot easier! Who needs to wait for better materials before building when you can make it with a scaffolding block and replace it later?

When I first saw the gif, I was actually wondering about how it would work with unmineable blocks. Glad I kept reading lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom