1.3.6 Preview: Block Swap

Discussion in 'PC - Re-Logic' started by Safeman, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Uniquepotatoes

Uniquepotatoes Terrarian

And this is one of them, the one leinfors uses as seen in the gif

2. creeeeeeeepers

creeeeeeeepers Terrarian

It's like the Grand Design. I've stopped playing console for now because I need it. When this launches, I'll stop playing it again. Must swap blocks!

Ruin and darthmorf like this.
  3. If this is just a small part of the patch that's exciting! Can't wait.

4. Xman101

Xman101 Cultist

Did someone say I can swap out my ugly wood boxes for ugly stone boxes?

Heck yes.

In all seriousness though, this actually might get me interested in building again. I've been dabbling with bits here and there, but THIS. This will make my life so much easier in the "I really want to replace blocks under those chests, but I can't be bothered to empty it out for two blocks" department.

5. Xylia

Xylia Terrarian

Could this also be applied to other placeables, such as chairs, tables, light fixtures, etc? Or no?

Just curious. The feature the way it is described is fine as-is, but that would be even more awesome if you could swap any placeable for another placeable as long as it's the same size? Dunno.

But anyways, awesome!

I wonder, are we closer to have an equip slot for a pickaxe maybe? lol. One less thing in my inventory would be awesome.

One of the first things I do early-game is replace all surface stone with dirt, so... right from the very beginning of the game, this will change things all the way through to the end. Awesome.

EDIT: Since we now have the tech to swap blocks without disrupting furniture, could we do the same for background walls (at least, if the existing one was player-placed)? Right now, if you swap a background wall, you are actually hammering out the existing wall first, and THEN placing your new wall which will uproot paintings, torches, etc.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  6. Creeper da Snek

Creeper da Snek Plantera

I think it does; Given that you can replace chests, I’d assume you can also replace furniture.

7. Enroke

Enroke Plantera

Cool!!!!! Nice idea

Ruin likes this.
  8. Kiddles

Kiddles The Destroyer

Thank you for this! Can't wait to see what else 1.3.6 holds for us!

Techdude594 and Ruin like this.
  9. drasuzumebachi

drasuzumebachi Terrarian

This is a amazing feature my only problem is I now use mods and sadly modded Terraria is at 1.3.5.2 while vanilla is at 1.3.5.3 so needless to say I can't forsee mods updating to 1.3.6 at the same time as vanilla

10. Sigma90

Sigma90 Brain of Cthulhu

Very nice, and much appreciated! This nicely complements the existing swap functionality for walls. No more dirt markers getting in the way! No more forgetting where the markers were because I removed them and couldn't remember where they were placed. :)

Does this affect world generated blocks, or only player-placed blocks?

11. Xylia

Xylia Terrarian

Considering the animated pic shows the player replacing stone and ore with dirt, it looks like this works on all blocks provided you have a good enough pickaxe on you.

12. Sigma90

Sigma90 Brain of Cthulhu

Quite likely, but would be nice to know for sure!

13. Xylia

Xylia Terrarian

Well, that and they specified the pickaxe rule, and I'm pretty sure that even player-placed lihzarhd blocks don't require higher pickaxes?

It seems to me that they specified the pickaxe rule so that players don't go rushing off with stacks of dirt to get obsidian, demonite, fossils, etc early.

14. Sigma90

Sigma90 Brain of Cthulhu

Or to break into the Corruption/Crimson, Dungeon or Lihzahrd Temple early.

I ask about if they replace world-generated blocks because (if memory serves correctly), wall swapping doesn't work in the middle of naturally generated walls. You have to go to the edge of the wall, to empty space, and work your way in. But player-placed walls can be replaced anywhere. Curious if there are any restrictions on block swapping as well (aside from pickaxe power).

15. Xylia

Xylia Terrarian

From the animated gif, it looks like the only restriction is your reach radius. You can clearly see that they are replacing some of the ore and stone that isn't touching air.

16. Loumonos Gate

Loumonos Gate Steampunker

What is up with the grass moving

Virukino and Sigma90 like this.
  17. Lamb₭night

Lamb₭night Terrarian

Oooooooooooo. I’m gettin pumped for 1.3.6!

18. Nakano15

Nakano15 Official Terrarian

Oh, now I saw that. Then pickaxes are still useful.

19. Xylia

Xylia Terrarian

Looks like they went the WoW route that when your character moves through foilage, it brushes aside as you move through it.

20. temery2383

temery2383 Skeletron Prime

Sweet! This will make things a lot easier! Who needs to wait for better materials before building when you can make it with a scaffolding block and replace it later?

When I first saw the gif, I was actually wondering about how it would work with unmineable blocks. Glad I kept reading lol.