1.3.6 Preview: Block Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that puts the demolitionist out of the job.

For me, the demo guy was all about going to the Corruption and not having to use the Dryad's powders (bombs are faster). Remember: Even with the block swap, you cannot replace Ebonstone for anything else without a good enough pickaxe.

And of course, Grenades early-game are still an excellent weapon when you can find a safe spot to use them. They also work nicely against the EoW too.

But just for mining an ore. In general. You wouldn't swap it out immediately. It looks weird. You would only use a pickaxe for making passageways now?
Also you can use platforms. Or torches. Or other things you can pass through
That sounds like an incredible waste of time and resources, but go ahead if you want lol. ~;)

Just to clarify, replaced block will be placed in the player's inventory ignoring item pickup range?
It was really annoying when using extendo grip to mine one clay block away, replace it with something, and having to dig down to it anyway to pick up the item.

And can we replace grass blocks without breaking plants on them? Including plantera bulb?

Blocks below trees are probably unreplacable, since you can't mine those, but what about sand under cacti/cactuses?

edit: Can we replace hive blocks without creating bees/honey, and hellstone without creating lava?

edit2: Can we replace thin ice and have it as a placeable item?
edit3: Actually, just make a freeze gun, visual effect like clentaminator, but creates thin ice on water surfaces. Pretty please? :)
It seems like block pickup range will still be in effect, and while I think it won't allow things like thin ice to be picked up, and interested to see how it effects spwaning blocks like hellstone and hive. I think things that require particular states, such as plants on grass drit/mud will still break, given the block still breaks.

Also, I like the idea of the freeze gun.

Just to clarify, replaced block will be placed in the player's inventory ignoring item pickup range?
It seems like block pickup range will still be in effect
Yes, pickup range is still in effect according to the GIF. You can see that when the player replaces the wood on the roof of the house, the wood drops as an item, but is not collected (as it is out of range).

Can we get the ability to create blueprints and apply them to assist in making structures? it could perhaps work similar to Dragon Quest Builder.

I fell like This is way to op add a Search bar for your characters and worlds in your startup screen then we will talk Re-logic

It seems like block pickup range will still be in effect,
Yes, pickup range is still in effect according to the GIF. You can see that when the player replaces the wood on the roof of the house, the wood drops as an item, but is not collected (as it is out of range).
I have no idea how I managed to not see it, thank you both for pointing it out.
Kind of sad about it, but what can you do.
I think things that require particular states, such as plants on grass drit/mud will still break, given the block still breaks.
Furniture didn't break, and furniture and plants are kind of similar. I kind of figured maybe they were just changing tile type, without updating adjacent tiles, which might work for growing grass on(/through) asphalt.
Also realized upon rewatching that they changed blocks under a chest, and blocks under a chest with items in it are protected in same(or only similar?) way that blocks under trees are protected, meaning we might be able to grow biome inappropriate trees now(i don't think they require biome anyway, just blocktype underneath).
Grass blocks make it more complex though, since using a pickaxe on them turns them into plain dirt/mud first. Will be interesting to see how replacing works on them.

Last edited:
The chest feature in of itself is so beautiful. I want to cry..!

As a suggestion to this. Will we be able to blockswap for different variants of "living wood" and "leaves" at any point? I'd love giant variants of other kinds of trees. Say if we had the leaf/wood wand in our inventory as the "tool" and were able to switch them out by clicking the wood on them?

Hello Terrarians!

As you have noticed from the recent slate of spoilers, our work on Terraria 1.3.6 is bearing some exciting fruit! This update has a lot more in store than we have shared, and with that in mind, we wanted to share one new quality of life feature that we find particularly exciting.

This new feature, which we are calling Block Swap, allows players to replace one block with another without having to break the previous block first! Tired of the way your house looks? Now you no longer have to tear the whole house down to change it. Need to clean up those random clay and stone blocks in your yard? Just swap them all out with your block of choice - much faster than mining them all individually!

Block Swap uses the mining power of the strongest Pickaxe in your inventory. Therefore, you will not be able to replace blocks that you cannot mine and it will take the same number of "swings" to replace a tile that your current pickaxe takes to mine the same block. Here are some additional fun features that Block Swap will bring to Terrarians everywhere:
- Block Swap can be used to change floor (and ceiling) blocks that furniture items are attached to, without breaking the furniture items
- Swapped blocks will keep the hammered shape that the previous blocks had
- Swapped blocks will be actuated if the original block was also actuated
- As an added bonus, you can now swap one chest for a different style of chest without having to empty it first!

Having played around with this feature for a while now, we can confidently say that this is one of those quality of life improvements that we have no idea how we ever lived without. We can’t wait until it is in your hands to see if you agree! Work on 1.3.6 is moving along at a strong pace – stay tuned for further details on what it will contain and when it might arrive. :)
Yes! Love this feature! It’s more than welcome for me as I’m always tweaking designs to make them better. Thanks heaps for another spoiler :merchantgrin:

Oh man, if only this mechanic would have been here years ago. I love it.
But hey, in the event Re-Logic does start to develop a new game, then all these awesome new features can be present from day one!

Looks great! I do have a question though: can it be toggled, and is it just a regular feature (like the Smart Cursor) or do you need an accessory/other item for it?

This is a super-nice thing!
This will help fix building or change them for a fresh new look.
I bet this will be one of the best quality of life improvements in the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom