1.3.6 Preview: Block Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest thing this'll do (other than let you change the look of your base/chests ofc) is that it'll make it a lot easier to create a surface mushroom biome without destroying the natural look of the terrain.

Yeah, that too... my surface mushrooms tend to be flat and blocky because I don't feel like randomly hammering blocks, lol. That, and if you have one layer of mud and you stick mushroom grass on that, it creates this annoying gap between it and the dirt underneath... unless you do 2 blocks thick of mud which is yet more work I usually don't feel like doing...

This will help so much with that.

EDIT: Also, making tiny jungle biome for a jungle fishing hole, etc. Same thing, it's a lot less work than having to manually remove and replace blocks lol.

Yeah, that too... my surface mushrooms tend to be flat and blocky because I don't feel like randomly hammering blocks, lol. That, and if you have one layer of mud and you stick mushroom grass on that, it creates this annoying gap between it and the dirt underneath... unless you do 2 blocks thick of mud which is yet more work I usually don't feel like doing...

This will help so much with that.

EDIT: Also, making tiny jungle biome for a jungle fishing hole, etc. Same thing, it's a lot less work than having to manually remove and replace blocks lol.
I could actually expand upon my original statement and say that this will make it easier to make custom biomes in general, and that's awesome.

is 1.3.6
going to go to console
after its done and switch and mobile get 1.3

Correct, the Console and Mobile versions will eventually get caught up to where the PC version currently is, which will include the current 1.3.5.3 update and upcoming 1.3.6 update.

There is no estimates on when the updates will happen. Right now Pipeworks is working on Console Patches for 1.3 and then will release the 1.3 Update for Mobile and Switch versions at a later time. From there, they will be able to update all versions of the game to eventually reach where PC is.

Correct, the Console and Mobile versions will eventually get caught up to where the PC version currently is, which will include the current 1.3.5.3 update and upcoming 1.3.6 update.

There is no estimates on when the updates will happen. Right now Pipeworks is working on Console Patches for 1.3 and then will release the Switch version and 1.3 Update for Mobile versions at a later time. From there, they will be able to update all versions of the game to eventually reach where PC is.

thanks!

What happen if you replace e.g. Chlorophyte Ore and have a Picksaw and Shroomite Digging Claw in bag back. Will it use the strongest (Picksaw)? or the fastest which can mine it (Digging Claw)?

-----
Could you approximate an upper limit until release? :)
e.g. in 6 month, with a chance less than 10% that it will take twice that time or more.

Thank you for this improvement it will really be useful for everyone (especially for builders) !
PS : I use the same colors for my cursor ;)

I think it should only work for building blocks, and nothing else. Not even ores. Just imagine this scenario.
Bob and Jim have just entered hardmode. They find this cool blue ore in the depths of the caves
Bob: Whoah, what is it?
Jim: Not sure, but let's mine it and figure it out.
Jim starts swinging dirt at the ore, collecting it, replacing it with dirt.
Bob: what about your pickaxe? Do you use your pickaxe?
Jim: Not anymore. I can just block swap it all.

I think it should only work for building blocks, and nothing else. Not even ores. Just imagine this scenario.
Bob and Jim have just entered hardmode. They find this cool blue ore in the depths of the caves
Bob: Whoah, what is it?
Jim: Not sure, but let's mine it and figure it out.
Jim starts swinging dirt at the ore, collecting it, replacing it with dirt.
Bob: what about your pickaxe? Do you use your pickaxe?
Jim: Not anymore. I can just block swap it all.
Note that the OP says it uses the highest pickaxe power of the pickaxe(s) in your inventory. We can safely assume that you won't be able to mine Cobalt with a Copper Pickaxe, for example. The current pickaxe power progression should be preserved.

Hello Terrarians!

As you have noticed from the recent slate of spoilers, our work on Terraria 1.3.6 is bearing some exciting fruit! This update has a lot more in store than we have shared, and with that in mind, we wanted to share one new quality of life feature that we find particularly exciting.

This new feature, which we are calling Block Swap, allows players to replace one block with another without having to break the previous block first! Tired of the way your house looks? Now you no longer have to tear the whole house down to change it. Need to clean up those random clay and stone blocks in your yard? Just swap them all out with your block of choice - much faster than mining them all individually!

Block Swap uses the mining power of the strongest Pickaxe in your inventory. Therefore, you will not be able to replace blocks that you cannot mine and it will take the same number of "swings" to replace a tile that your current pickaxe takes to mine the same block. Here are some additional fun features that Block Swap will bring to Terrarians everywhere:
- Block Swap can be used to change floor (and ceiling) blocks that furniture items are attached to, without breaking the furniture items
- Swapped blocks will keep the hammered shape that the previous blocks had
- Swapped blocks will be actuated if the original block was also actuated
- As an added bonus, you can now swap one chest for a different style of chest without having to empty it first!

Having played around with this feature for a while now, we can confidently say that this is one of those quality of life improvements that we have no idea how we ever lived without. We can’t wait until it is in your hands to see if you agree! Work on 1.3.6 is moving along at a strong pace – stay tuned for further details on what it will contain and when it might arrive. :)
Been waiting on something like this since I started building in Terraria :D Thankyou Terraria Devs :):):):):)

Note that the OP says it uses the highest pickaxe power of the pickaxe(s) in your inventory. We can safely assume that you won't be able to mine Cobalt with a Copper Pickaxe, for example. The current pickaxe power progression should be preserved.
I'm talking about even if you have the molten pickaxe. If you have a molten pickaxe, why use it at all and just block swap it?

Because there are times when you need to remove a block entirely?

If I want to tunnel a hole that I can move through, I can't block swap because I'm replacing one solid block for another.
But just for mining an ore. In general. You wouldn't swap it out immediately. It looks weird. You would only use a pickaxe for making passageways now?
Also you can use platforms. Or torches. Or other things you can pass through

But just for mining an ore. In general. You wouldn't swap it out immediately. It looks weird. You would only use a pickaxe for making passageways now?
Also you can use platforms. Or torches. Or other things you can pass through
I don't really see how this is a problem, it doesn't imbalance the game at all. Besides, using a pickaxe is more convenient for mining anyways: It's infinite-use and accessible through the shift key without deselecting your weapon. Compare that to blocks, which have a limited count, aren't brought up by a context-sensitive button, and aren't already something you have to have with you to mine either way.

And not to mention, did we not face a similar thing with hammers?

Now that we have auto-hammering of walls when we place walls, now hammers are only used for changing shape of blocks. No reason to hammer out walls unless you wanna remove them entirely.

Just to clarify, replaced block will be placed in the player's inventory ignoring item pickup range?
It was really annoying when using extendo grip to mine one clay block away, replace it with something, and having to dig down to it anyway to pick up the item.

And can we replace grass blocks without breaking plants on them? Including plantera bulb?

Blocks below trees are probably unreplacable, since you can't mine those, but what about sand under cacti/cactuses?

edit: Can we replace hive blocks without creating bees/honey, and hellstone without creating lava?

edit2: Can we replace thin ice and have it as a placeable item?
edit3: Actually, just make a freeze gun, visual effect like clentaminator, but creates thin ice on water surfaces. Pretty please? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom