Biomes & Nature [1.3.6 Suggestion] Revert change so that corruption/crimson can't spread through jungle biome.

Fred_WL11

Terrarian
On my world I'm currently playing half of my jungle has turned to crimson and it is very hard to stop it spreading through the jungle because jungle thorns can also get in the way. Also if I try to purify it using a clentaminator it will just change to dirt with grass not mud with jungle grass. I like to see this changed in 1.3.6 just as a small quality of life improvement.

Changes
  • Crimson/Corruption can't spread through Jungle Biome/Mud blocks.
  • Crimson/Corruption can't spread through thorns.
  • Add a solution for the clentaminator for a jungle solution.

Uhm, creating a biome barrier for the jungle is as easy as to spray dark blue solution on the edges touching the evil, you know? Mushroom grass is immune to tainting.

I think it removes the incentive to keep worlds pure.
And that's a good thing, because purifying the world is tedious and expensive, and often your chance to revert the damage comes too late. Permanently removing huge parts of the jungle biome is not an appropriate penalty.

Remember that players are expected to smash altars, and that ends up spreading corruption/crimson/hallow. Without an external map viewer, keeping the world pure is all but impossible.

Uhm, creating a biome barrier for the jungle is as easy as to spray dark blue solution on the edges touching the evil, you know? Mushroom grass is immune to tainting.
First of all, that's locked behind the clentaminator, leaving plenty of time for the crimson/corruption to do damage. Second, altar smashing may convert a stone block within the jungle itself, bypassing any barrier you put up. Finally, any workaround for biome protection should be intuitive, which the mushroom barrier definitely isn't.

I didn't copy any threads, this was just something that really bothered me because half of my jungle has turned to crimson. Even with a 3-block wide gap going through it to stop it from spreading the crimson can traverse to the jungle through thorn bushes.

I didn't copy any threads, this was just something that really bothered me because half of my jungle has turned to crimson. Even with a 3-block wide gap going through it to stop it from spreading the crimson can traverse to the jungle through thorn bushes.
And your point is? I don't understand what your statement has to do with mine. A single spray of dark blue solution can convert dozens of jungle blocks into mushroom grass. I don't get what the problem is about the 3-block gap when you can create a barrier the size of your screen just with money.

And your point is? I don't understand what your statement has to do with mine. A single spray of dark blue solution can convert dozens of jungle blocks into mushroom grass. I don't get what the problem is about the 3-block gap when you can create a barrier the size of your screen just with money.
my point is that it just shouldn't spread to the jungle anyway and i shouldn't need to by a clentaminator just to stop crimson from spreading and make mushroom grass go from top to bottom down my world.

Um, no, it shouldn’t be that way because
that's locked behind the clentaminator, leaving plenty of time for the crimson/corruption to do damage. Second, altar smashing may convert a stone block within the jungle itself, bypassing any barrier you put up. Finally, any workaround for biome protection should be intuitive, which the mushroom barrier definitely isn't.

With how built in the whole spreading and purifying mechanic is in the first place, any suggestion that involves just removing it completely (or the inscentive to do so) doesnt seem likely or helpful, in my opinion. Especially with fishing giving you the option to not break alters. I broke one alter and found the massive corruption area that spawned a lot later, and just removed it. Maybe the risk reward of fishing vs breaking alters should be better communicated to the player. Making the jungle completely immune just seems completely uninteresting. All of this is my opinion of course.

Maybe the risk reward of fishing vs breaking alters should be better communicated to the player. Making the jungle completely immune just seems completely uninteresting. All of this is my opinion of course.

Are you really saying people should fish all the hard mode ores they need if they don't want the world to get corrupted? I already don't like fishing and this makes me hate it even more.

Well, I think we can all agree that having biomes spread randomly when smashing altars is not a good mechanic. This mechanic was introduced in 1.1, the same update that introduced Vile Spit that could spread Corruption, and Clowns that could blow up your base. The latter two “features” have already been removed, so I suspect that the reason that the developers haven’t removed the random altar-smashing-biome-spread mechanic isn’t because they don’t want to. It’s because they can’t. Probably hardcoded. If it were possible, then such a mod should already exist; but to my knowledge, there isn’t a single one out there.

Well, I think we can all agree that having biomes spread randomly when smashing altars is not a good mechanic. This mechanic was introduced in 1.1, the same update that introduced Vile Spit that could spread Corruption, and Clowns that could blow up your base. The latter two “features” have already been removed, so I suspect that the reason that the developers haven’t removed the random altar-smashing-biome-spread mechanic isn’t because they don’t want to. It’s because they can’t. Probably hardcoded. If it were possible, then such a mod should already exist; but to my knowledge, there isn’t a single one out there.
Actually removing that mechanic is extremely easy, and would only require removing about thirty lines of code, no strings attached.

I think the reason why that mechanic exists is to dissuade players from smashing too many altars, and to give them a choice in how to tackle early hardmode: either the hardmode metals are quite rare and you have to really look for them, but your world remains relatively unscathed, or you get metal in abundance, but your entire world will get converted in the bargain.

Of course the fishing update has somewhat diminished this effect, but I think having some drawback to smashing altars is a good idea.

Are you really saying people should fish all the hard mode ores they need if they don't want the world to get corrupted? I already don't like fishing and this makes me hate it even more.
Yeah I'm saying exactly that. You can choose between breaking a few altars to minimize risk or breaking a bunch and dealing with it later. You can also just skip breaking entirely by just fishing and it's incredibly easy as long as you have patience. I personally think there is no need at all to make it easier after all that because that just sounds boring.

I'd probably accept making the biomes spread randomly when smashing altars mechanic only start happening after breaking two/three altars.

Yeah I'm saying exactly that. You can choose between breaking a few altars to minimize risk or breaking a bunch and dealing with it later. You can also just skip breaking entirely by just fishing and it's incredibly easy as long as you have patience. I personally think there is no need at all to make it easier after all that because that just sounds boring.

I'd probably accept making the biomes spread randomly when smashing altars mechanic only start happening after breaking two/three altars.
Yeah, first three altars shouldn't spread evil/hallow. Unless you get ~50 crates by fishing, it isn't possible to craft adamantite forge without breaking altars. And punishing players for something they need to do is evil. `:cry:

or the hollow (if the hollow wont take over the jungle which im pretty sure doesnt.)

• Add a solution for the clentaminator for a jungle solution.
I feel this is really the biggest deal here.
Sure, there are ways to prevent corruption, creating hellevators and go fishing instead of altar smashing, but if people don't feel like jumping through hoops in order to keep their world safe, they shouldn't be massively penalized for allowing corruption to reach their jungles. (And there's also a chance that the big ray o' corruption will go right through your jungle after defeating the WoF. Had that happen once.)

If there was a clentaminator jungle solution, then that'd remove a lot of headaches from a lot of people.

Back
Top Bottom