PC 1.3 changes

Spiky ball traps seemed to work fine with 5 second timers for me, so I looked into it. After a bit of digging around I found that the use times for them are as follows:
  • Dart, super dart, flame - 200
  • Spiky ball - 300
  • Spear trap - 90
Taking into account what I assume is a 60 tickrate, it means that the Dart/Flame traps cooldown is ~3.3s, Spiky ball trap cooldown is 5s, and the Spear trap cooldown is 1.5s.. I think..?
Ah, excellent, so you've been reading the code then? (Not got around to trying that myself with 1.3, yet.) You're quite right that spikey balls do have 5s cool down. I'd been testing with alternating 1s timers (to hear the clicks), but it's known that having timers turn each other on/off shuffles the precise (same tick) order and mucks things up (I should have known better).

So yeah, that looks like what we're dealing with. Shall we assume the other properties on my trap characteristics chart are unchanged? [Just updated cool-downs there.] Worth checking base damage, projectile speeds and durations? A rough test showed that having several hundred (1000, I think) dart projectiles (in world) still stopped my terra blade from firing projectiles...

Any new trap types in game? Or trap-like items? (A yes/no will suffice, if you don't want to spoil it for slow-coaches, like me.)

Last edited:
Ah, excellent, so you've been reading the code then? (Not got around to trying that myself with 1.3, yet.) You're quite right that spikey balls do have 5s cool down. I'd been testing with alternating 1s timers (to hear the clicks), but it's known that having timers turn each other on/off shuffles the precise (same tick) order and mucks things up (I should have known better).

So yeah, that looks like what we're dealing with. Shall we assume the other properties on my trap characteristics chart are unchanged? [Just updated cool-downs there.] Worth checking base damage, projectile speeds and durations? A rough test showed that having several hundred (1000, I think) dart projectiles (in world) still stopped my terra blade from firing projectiles...

Any new trap types in game? Or trap-like items? (A yes/no will suffice, if you don't want to spoil it for slow-coaches, like me.)
Technically, a new item called the Detonator can trigger explosives, making it trap-like for early game. I haven't experimented with the detonator to see anything different other than a bigger hitbox than a pressure plate(it functions like a pressure plate for explosives as far as i can tell), though.

There is an experimental version of tEdit that works for 1.3.0.4. I've used it to fix / move a few things in one of my 1.3 worlds and it seems to work fine for the most part. I found how to get it on a Reddit post earlier this week https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/3cjurf.

Hmm, unfortunately I cannot get this to work on my machine. When I click on build.bat, I get 2 warnings and 2 errors, and the TEditXtna doesn't appear. It seems quite a few others have experienced the same issue:

7kU3nEe.jpg

anOxN9B.jpg

I'm not sure how to fix the errors. Any ideas?

it functions like a pressure plate for other things too, i wired one to a statue

(edit-wiki says it can also be right clicked like a switch and disabled by a wire's signal, that explains some oddness i had with a timer)

1.3.0.5 has been released, and the changelog mentions the following:
  • Damage from spikes now checks for immunity separately from other effects.
Just thought I'd mention it here.

it functions like a pressure plate for other things too, i wired one to a statue (edit-wiki says it can also be right clicked like a switch and disabled by a wire's signal,
Interesting, must play...
the trap direction/hammer interaction only applies to dart and flame traps
Ah, so no return to upwards spears then. Shame, I did wonder.
Damage from spikes now checks for immunity separately from other effects.
That sounds fairly significant then. So spikes have been nerfed away, somewhat like meteor blocks. But using a first-spawned slime presumably still damage blocks perfectly? (These set-ups are far more difficult to build and use right, so less cheesy, I guess.)

Lava, however, has not been nerfed, and he can still be cheesed that way. Requires less defense et al. in expert mode, oddly. Perhaps because of the increased importance of defense and the well-fed buff.

If you choose to do him that way, fanagle your defense such that you're taking 2 damage per tick, not one, lest you cut your invincibility frames in half.

Last edited:
a new item called the Detonator
Yeah, actually had a play with this 'detonator' earlier, interesting...:
  • 2x2 tile footprint.
  • ~1s cooldown after right-click activation.
  • Also activated by player (or playing in cart, only) and only when falling downwards. (Does not look to be compatible with use in mid-hoik runs. Also, player sprite must be overlapping the centre of the detonator, horizontally.)
  • Wire input disables/enables it instantaneously - toggles. Can't directly disable itself. (Good for adventure/puzzle map builds, or a quiz show style fastest buzzer first locks-out competitors...?)
  • You can actuate the blocks it sits on without it popping off! (So you can activate while falling without being slowed.)
Lava, however, has not been nerfed
So I see. And with these fabled 'bubble blocks' it's easier than ever to place. Bubbles blocks definitely a big thing, pretty cool [Reddit].

Last edited:
* They seem to count for banner, if you kill monsters with (not 100% sure...)
Just ran a 1 hour test of my truffle worm farm, to asses the 1.3 damage which is not too bad, but I didn't get a single banner. That is somewhat unlikely. So I think trap damage, alone, no longer allows banner drops (at least with flame traps). Looks like a further farm nerf to me. Mix in minion damage, I guess.

Re: TEdit - pre-compiled (ready to rock install folder), working, though still reportedly sketchy, version posted to Reddit earlier.
[DOUBLEPOST=1437354307,1437266574][/DOUBLEPOST]I've just found that Bunnies now turn to run away from enemies that come within ~10-12 tiles of them. Potentially breaking any bunny powered combat machine.

Also, could someone else verify that (statue spawned) skeletons now insta-de-spawn at surface height as soon as they get off screen (i.e. out of the 'safe area' into the spawn zone. They were fine in my underground lab, but produced another new problem with my dart firings above ground...

All post-hit immunity exploits have been nerfed in relation to the ML as of 1.3.0.6.

It'll be difficult to construct a working farm now without heavy use of teleporters, I think. Though he can still be nuked down in less than a minute with the final prism, a mage loadout, and a few mob statues for stars.

Edit: or not? I just did him no problem using lava. The only difference is now my health isn't slam at 500 the entire time. But... I was never in any danger of dying, even during the final phase.

Additionally, the Star Dragon has been buffed multiplicatively, but its individual segments have been nerfed. Meaning the "have one dragon out" tactic is less effective than before, but it's stronger than ever in summoner loadouts.

Last edited:
All post-hit immunity exploits have been nerfed in relation to the ML as of 1.3.0.6.
That's what I heard. Sounded like they'd done an end run around alternative damage frame tactics by giving him his own unique ones. Which sounded pretty harsh to me... But if it's like you say?
or not? I just did him no problem using lava.
Then maybe he just takes top priority over all sources when your cooldown ends (but not during)? (Meh, long, long way off for me; still have iron armour in my run, lol.)

The changelog for 1.3.0.6 says that the Moon Lord has been given his own cooldown timer, which is true as far as I can tell. However, all of the damage/invincibility frame exploits still work.

From what I'm seeing in the code, this is because of a bug (two bugs, actually). For projectile damage, the code short-circuits if the player has invincibility frames, even for the Moon Lord's projectiles, which is obviously not intended. For NPC damage, the Moon Lord is set apart so that it should deal unblockable damage, but there's a typo so that method call that deals damage is missing the parameter that indicates that the damage is actually unblockable.

Both of this should be relatively easy to fix, so I would expect this to be rectified in 1.3.0.7 or 1.3.1.

The way the separate invincibility frames (should) work seem to be bullet-proof, as far as I can tell. The Moon Lord will ignore invincibility frames unless they are "special", which only he and his projectiles can trigger (from what I see).

The Moon Lord deals almost exclusively in projectile attacks, so I'm currently trying to see if overloading the 1000 projectile cap will be effective. Unfortunately, the rapid-fire engine I'm using seems to be broken, or I'm not using it correctly. (The NPC House Hoik Engine seems to have the NPC idle one tile further to the left than the diagram, so they don't consistently enter the engine, and moved to another house when the engine was running. Maybe it needs a re-design?)

what I'm seeing in the code, this is because of a bug
That's some good code reading you got going there.
I would expect this to be rectified in 1.3.0.7 or 1.3.1
1.3.0.7 out, has it been fixed? (Or was this purely a Mac/Linux thing; saw no link to patch notes.)
the rapid-fire engine I'm using seems to be broken
Is this related to the trap cool-down time changes?

Anyway, your 1k projectiles setup doesn't need to be complex, just use 100 dart traps in a block with a 1s timer and have their path clear to sail across the map. It will limit your means of attacking him too, of course, and I hear many of his projectiles are blockable with, well, blocks anyway...? Not sure how devs might react if this scheme were to work... Add uniquie projectile arrays, separating traps out.

1.3.0.7 out, has it been fixed? (Or was this purely a Mac/Linux thing; saw no link to patch notes.)

I just finishing diff-ing the changes. Looks like the Projectile bug has been fixed. I'm not sure about the contact damage bug, because it's in a part of the code that my decompiler can't handle, so I'm waiting on other information. I would guess that it has probably also been fixed, however. People who were using lava, etc. before might want to test how they work now, since I'm guessing they simply won't.

Since we're in the 1.3 changes thread, I'll remark that those fixes appear to be the only gameplay changes. Other than that, it's just updates to how multiplayer servers connect and making some operations more platform agnostic.

Is this related to the trap cool-down time changes?

No, although I did go overboard since I wanted to mess around with hoiks a bit. I set up 200 dart traps each connected to a pressure plate in a long hoik so that it sets them off 1 tick apart. I was hoping to use some rapid activation engine to keep it going, which I mocked up with a skeleton statue, and it seems to work fine, blocking my projectiles and those of enemies. However, I wanted it to run while I was off-screen, so I swapped out the skeleton statue for an NPC and set up a house hoik engine, but I ran into trouble with getting the engine to work. (Side note: I also noticed the skeleton despawning instantly after leaving the screen -- my engine is on the surface. I'll look into it in more detail when I get a chance; I'm currently doing AI analysis on the Lunatic Cultist so I can maybe work on a farm.)

The reason I want to use a rapid activation engine rather than a 1s timer is because I want to ensure that there are darts trying to spawn every tick, since I was noticing that it was only blocking 50% of my projectiles when I had it set up to spawn darts every ~10 ticks or so.

As for how the devs react, I just hope they don't. It's more for fun anyway, I'll probably make a long minecart track or something to actually beat the Moon Lord, and I certainly don't intend to make a video or something.

I just finishing diff-ing the changes. Looks like the Projectile bug has been fixed. I'm not sure about the contact damage bug, because it's in a part of the code that my decompiler can't handle, so I'm waiting on other information. I would guess that it has probably also been fixed, however. People who were using lava, etc. before might want to test how they work now, since I'm guessing they simply won't.

Since we're in the 1.3 changes thread, I'll remark that those fixes appear to be the only gameplay changes. Other than that, it's just updates to how multiplayer servers connect and making some operations more platform agnostic.

No, although I did go overboard since I wanted to mess around with hoiks a bit. I set up 200 dart traps each connected to a pressure plate in a long hoik so that it sets them off 1 tick apart. I was hoping to use some rapid activation engine to keep it going, which I mocked up with a skeleton statue, and it seems to work fine, blocking my projectiles and those of enemies. However, I wanted it to run while I was off-screen, so I swapped out the skeleton statue for an NPC and set up a house hoik engine, but I ran into trouble with getting the engine to work. (Side note: I also noticed the skeleton despawning instantly after leaving the screen -- my engine is on the surface. I'll look into it in more detail when I get a chance; I'm currently doing AI analysis on the Lunatic Cultist so I can maybe work on a farm.)

The reason I want to use a rapid activation engine rather than a 1s timer is because I want to ensure that there are darts trying to spawn every tick, since I was noticing that it was only blocking 50% of my projectiles when I had it set up to spawn darts every ~10 ticks or so.

As for how the devs react, I just hope they don't. It's more for fun anyway, I'll probably make a long minecart track or something to actually beat the Moon Lord, and I certainly don't intend to make a video or something.

Sorry to tell you, as far as I see in the code, the melee part of the bug has been fixed as well.:sigh:

Sorry to tell you, as far as I see in the code, the melee part of the bug has been fixed as well.:sigh:

I figured as much. Looks like people will have to be a little bit creative when it comes to farming the Moon Lord.

My source hasn't come through yet, so I'm still in the dark about some of the stuff. Did you notice any other significant changes from 1.3.0.6? My decompiler has trouble with certain large methods, like Projectile.AI() and Player.Update(); I'm curious which one you're using.

I figured as much. Looks like people will have to be a little bit creative when it comes to farming the Moon Lord.

My source hasn't come through yet, so I'm still in the dark about some of the stuff. Did you notice any other significant changes from 1.3.0.6? My decompiler has trouble with certain large methods, like Projectile.AI() and Player.Update(); I'm curious which one you're using.

There are more than one decompilers. I met with the same problem with you while using dotPeek, but ILSpy works well in this condition even though it works slow.. Large methods are very tough, both to decompile and to read.....

Back
Top Bottom