1.3 Expert Hardmode is too hard?

On the topic of the AI, there's only so much you can expect from what is at its core a simple 2D platforming action game. I haven't noticed any big difference in AI, either, but realistically there's not much more for them to do other than try to bumrush/get a hit in on the player. I suppose they could run away when badly injured or try to dodge behind blocks?
Recently, I thought of a better solution. It would drastically change the way the game is played without having to fiddle too much with enemy behaviors.

... an abolishment of contact-damage.

Have you ever played Risk of Rain? It's a fantastic platformer game and it gives you an incredible sense of urgency despite monsters not hurting you by merely touching them. What if monsters in Terraria were the same? What if they could only hurt you by launching attacks with hostile hitboxes?

The problem with Contact damage is that all you have to do is avoid the enemy's sprite. Thus most battles turn into glorified versions of keep away. There isn't much challenge in keep-away.

Not only would this make enemies seem smarter, trying to hit you with their attacks rather than their bodies, it would also make melee a whole lot more fun and viable. How much more interesting would melee be for you if you knew that dodging THROUGH your enemy was a valid option?

I died about eight times yesterday on the pillars. I have over 2000 hours in the game and have beaten everything else, but the Moon Lord in expert.
I started making the summoning item and moving to my normal world.

Recently, I thought of a better solution. It would drastically change the way the game is played without having to fiddle too much with enemy behaviors.

... an abolishment of contact-damage.

Have you ever played Risk of Rain? It's a fantastic platformer game and it gives you an incredible sense of urgency despite monsters not hurting you by merely touching them. What if monsters in Terraria were the same? What if they could only hurt you by launching attacks with hostile hitboxes?

The problem with Contact damage is that all you have to do is avoid the enemy's sprite. Thus most battles turn into glorified versions of keep away. There isn't much challenge in keep-away.

Not only would this make enemies seem smarter, trying to hit you with their attacks rather than their bodies, it would also make melee a whole lot more fun and viable. How much more interesting would melee be for you if you knew that dodging THROUGH your enemy was a valid option?

I suggested this years and years ago along with shields actually blocking stuff. Nothing came out of it despite huge popularity.

Pre-Hard no much changed for me, mined a meteorite, crafted the Laser Pistol and meteorite set armor, with that i managed to kill the Eye, King Slime and the Devourer without too much of a issue, Queen Bee was the tricky one because i was unable to get the poison immune accessory, and for some strange reason there is not a potion for it, and i killed the Skeleton on my first attempt whiout any difficulty using the Queen Bee bow, and king slime mount, with archer/iron skin/feather potion, and devourer, queen bee and double jump accessories.

Now im moving to hardmode.

As long as we don't have those Missile Launcher Elite enemies in Terraria too. They are so annoying.

If the EoW gets Overload, I'm done.

On a serious note. Expert HM isn't really that hard, I felt like it just dragged on a little bit too much when it comes down to killing enemies at first (Standing for 15 seconds agaisn't every single Chaos Elemental is tiresome).

Apparently dynamic combat concerning AI is just too hard for devs nowadays.
Even though they use this very idea we just talked about in StarBound and it does indeed make melee a bit more fun.

As long as we don't have those Missile Launcher Elite enemies in Terraria too. They are so annoying.

If the EoW gets Overload, I'm done.
It saddens me that it's not possible to +1 a post more than once.

On a serious note. Expert HM isn't really that hard, I felt like it just dragged on a little bit too much when it comes down to killing enemies at first (Standing for 15 seconds agaisn't every single Chaos Elemental is tiresome).
Yeeaaaah pretty much. Expert Mode isn't hard. Just tedious and frustrating. Honestly I think that's what most people MEAN when they say it's too "hard".

Most gamers enjoy being challenged and tested. Most gamers also tend to be pretty smart and understand when a challenge is being delivered in a cheap and kinda fake way.

Yeeaaaah pretty much. Expert Mode isn't hard. Just tedious and frustrating. Honestly I think that's what most people MEAN when they say it's too "hard".
Exactly. At least for me.
Bosses need new approach and cannot be zerged? Crafting a proper arena require some more thought? Cool.
Confronting mobs without proper gear and buff lead to death? Can't simply ignore mobs even if in "good" gear, must always keep an eye on them? They have additional attacks? Fun.

Killing common mobs mid-game is very tedious? Some encounters with common mobs can be dealt with very high dodge skill only? Good Armor provide little deference against common mobs? No so fun.

To me, Terraria was a game where i always had a choice between using "pure" Platforming skills like dodging, aiming, etc. - things based on reflexes and being "smart" and patient - investing time and thoughts into arenas, additional farming for equipment, buffs.

Now in Expert mode, my problem is that i simply cannot deal with common mobs without being quite skillful with dodging and aiming. And Bosses still could be beaten with proper dispositions.

I've been an avid Terraria player for a few years now, having logged around 200 hours overall into the game. I hadn't played since Christmas when I heard about 1.3, so I jumped at the chance to play again. I started up the expert mode with a fresh character, just to see how bad it was. It was way harder then normal, but pre-hardmode wasn't that bad. I enter hardmode, and I'm instantly getting two, three shotted by mobs doing 100+ damage. Okay, that's fair I told myself because all I had was molten armor. Obviously when I get titanium it'll get a lot better.. right?
Wrong. With all 6 accessories set to warding and full hallowed armor (80 defence), I still found myself getting slaughtered by most mobs if I got too gutsy. But, still, I told myself that was fair and I'd just have to play more defensively. I've now reached the point where I've killed all the mechanical bosses and the next boss I need to take on is Plantera. Luckily, the day after I killed skeletron prime, a solar eclipse happened. Great! A chance for me to get a broken hero sword or two to craft the terra blade. I set up a little bit of a farming station, then a mothron appears. After searching up this mysterious mob on the wiki I found out he's the only one who drops the broken hero sword now (horrible change), so I tab back into my game intent on killing this guy, and he hits me (when I have 80 defence, plus the buff from my dryad) for over 100 damage. This thing isn't even categorized as a mini-boss and it has more health (12000) then some pre-hardmode bosses. And it hits a fully geared out person for over 100 damage. It's immune to knockback, so there really is no way to fight it.

They tried to back up their decision of making expert mode this hard by saying, "there's a few new items and you get increased drop rate", which was the reason I initially tried it. Little did I know however, increased drop rate on the extremely rare items (0.50% chance) buffed it up to 0.67% chance. Sure, compared to .50 that's better but in the long run it's really no difference. Even on mothron, who has a 25% chance to drop the broken hero sword, it buffs it to 30%. 5% yet I have to kill something with 2x as much health, more defense and more damage then it's regular mode counterpart?

I'm not sure if I'm just bad, or if I'm missing something about expert mode, but other then the increase in challenge I really don't see why there is even a point to playing on expert.

you have the demon heart to give you an extra accesory slot. the new expert mode only boss drops and more. as well you should have an excalibur and/ or another all powerful weapon now! you need to play with traps and make an arena! thats how expert mode is supposed to be played!
[DOUBLEPOST=1438540700,1438540128][/DOUBLEPOST]
after killing all mech bosses I had a break to gear up a bit, and to get a few life fruits, I have like 450 hp and turtle gear...today I got 4 solar eclipses one with some buffs from potions, the other 3 with nothing and they weren't that hard, yeah I got killed a few times, but I you can survive it...what I did is to fly in circles to avoid the mothron, and throw seeds from the seedler, anyway I could avoid most of its attacks and yeah it hits hard and it's though to kill, but I noticed that sometimes it charges and gets even the same speed as me (frost wings + frostpark boots with + 4 to movement) that's the hardest part from mothron.

so the only thing I actually complain about solar eclipse is mothron's fast charge attack and, the vampires, they're small and move fast as well

maybe you should get the worm scarf from eater of worlds and the flesh knuckles from the crimson biome mimic to stack defense (if you haven't got them yet)

dude. the flesh knuckles dont help! they make the enemys come after you more! and this guy dosent want mothron to be more aggresive!

you have the demon heart to give you an extra accesory slot. the new expert mode only boss drops and more. as well you should have an excalibur and/ or another all powerful weapon now! you need to play with traps and make an arena! thats how expert mode is supposed to be played!
[DOUBLEPOST=1438540700,1438540128][/DOUBLEPOST]

dude. the flesh knuckles dont help! they make the enemys come after you more! and this guy dosent want mothron to be more aggresive!
They make it so that in Multiplayer, enemies target you more than your friends. Nothing more. And 11 defense with Warding is a HUGE help.

They make it so that in Multiplayer, enemies target you more than your friends. Nothing more. And 11 defense with Warding is a HUGE help.
Just like Azu said, aggro doesn't work like that.

Aggro doesn't decided how ferociously you're targetted, it only decides whether or not you're a target, period. Ferocity isn't a factor in Terraria, really.

Having items like the Flesh Knuckles or the Putrid Scent allow players to manipulate aggro when other players are present nearby. I tend to wear the Putrid Scent as a summoner, and my melee buddy wears the flesh knuckles and a paladin shield. We make a pretty destructive team.

I completely agree, the problem is its just not WORTH it to play in expert. They say more loot, but basically the only difference is boss treasure bags, which aren't even THAT useful. In exchange for maybe 10 or so useful little items you get 2-3x hp and damage on everything, its ABSURD.

I completely agree, the problem is its just not WORTH it to play in expert. They say more loot, but basically the only difference is boss treasure bags, which aren't even THAT useful. In exchange for maybe 10 or so useful little items you get 2-3x hp and damage on everything, its ABSURD.
An increased drop rate means I have gotten items I have never gotten in Normal mode. I have a Terra Blade, Cell Phone, and an Ankh Shield, all of which I haven't even come close to getting before.

An increased drop rate means I have gotten items I have never gotten in Normal mode. I have a Terra Blade, Cell Phone, and an Ankh Shield, all of which I haven't even come close to getting before.
I swear Im trying not to offend, but this is just based on your personal experience. Most people have no PROBLEM getting these items without a tiny boost, its just a matter of waiting, purely subjective.

Hie's signature reminded me that we need whip-type weapons in Terraria. And no, I don't mean a spiky ball on one of those slapper strings, either.

Hie's signature reminded me that we need whip-type weapons in Terraria. And no, I don't mean a spiky ball on one of those slapper strings, either.
I hope you dont mean those noob homing projectiles that come out of long chains either

Back
Top Bottom