1.3 Expert Hardmode is too hard?

Good, we dont need more Flairon and Solar Eruption monstrosities.

*ahem* the solar eruption was meant to be 1. BOSS AWESOME AND SWAGGA! and 2. like a chain knife design AND 3. solar based

the flairon is dang a FLAIL so is the solar eruption. so they MAKE SENSE!
[DOUBLEPOST=1438893373,1438893317][/DOUBLEPOST]
*ahem* the solar eruption was meant to be 1. BOSS AWESOME AND SWAGGA! and 2. like a chain knife design AND 3. solar based

the flairon is dang a FLAIL so is the solar eruption. so they MAKE SENSE!

oh homing projectiles? solar flare has no homing. -.- noobs

Recently, I thought of a better solution. It would drastically change the way the game is played without having to fiddle too much with enemy behaviors.

... an abolishment of contact-damage.

Have you ever played Risk of Rain? It's a fantastic platformer game and it gives you an incredible sense of urgency despite monsters not hurting you by merely touching them. What if monsters in Terraria were the same? What if they could only hurt you by launching attacks with hostile hitboxes?

The problem with Contact damage is that all you have to do is avoid the enemy's sprite. Thus most battles turn into glorified versions of keep away. There isn't much challenge in keep-away.

Not only would this make enemies seem smarter, trying to hit you with their attacks rather than their bodies, it would also make melee a whole lot more fun and viable. How much more interesting would melee be for you if you knew that dodging THROUGH your enemy was a valid option?

I just think it's funny you give Risk of Rain as an example since all RoR is is keep-away. You never want to get near your enemies because you die instantly, so going through them is only viable if you have i-frames or have picked up so many speed-ups that they can't hit you fast enough. Yes, enemies do no contact damage in RoR, but your character has no damage-based i-frames like in Terraria, so if you have a group of enemies attack you at once that's instant death as all the damage is received at once instead of just the first. This makes RoR more of a game of keep-away than Terraria's current design. It's quite common for the gameplay in RoR to devolve into literally just running to bide time - waiting for regen or cooldowns, at least coming from a Hard playthrough perspective.

Melee characters are almost completely unviable on Hard in RoR, except one or two of them.

I get what you're trying to say, but you're giving an example of something supposedly "done right" in one game, when in reality it's done worse due to its other parts.

going through them is only viable if you have i-frames or have picked up so many speed-ups that they can't hit you fast enough.
WOULD be a good point, if not for that last part.

You don't actually need a whole LOT of speed to run through enemy attacks. Very few enemies fire off their attacks fast enough to hit you just as you're running by (only ones I can think of are MAYBE the Lemurians, but you can dodge through them most of the time as well). Enemies have very very short attack-range detection so it's very easy to run past them before they throw out their attack.

Honestly the only class that needs to pick up a lot of Goat Hooves to pull this off is the Enforcer. And if you're trying to outrun your enemies as Enforcer you're not Enforcing right. lol

If you play Sniper like I do, though, yeah. RoR is still a huge game of Keep-Away, but I can still run through my enemies to dodge their attacks if I have to. Melee classes, though, definitely enjoy a hefty amount of "get right in there like a boss" time. They have to, given the very nature of the way they fight.

Play Acrid sometime and you'll see what I mean.

Remember that part of why keep-away is still an important tactic in RoR is because your attacks make you stop in place, so you NEED to put distance between yourself and the enemy before firing or you're going to just make yourself a target for them.

Terraria wouldn't have that trouble, since everyone is basically Huntress.

Last edited:
Minishark is essentially useless in that fight. If you can, search the underworld for a Hellwing Bow. That will help both with skeletron and WoF. You need a hellbridge. And to clear out a path so you can jump and run while shooting backwards. You can't beat him without it. As for speed, I'd recommend fishing until the Angler hands over a Fuzzy Carrot. The bunny mount is fast enough to outrun WoF.

OMG! I got a bunny mount for the first time the other day... never even heard of it before... and then my guy was riding on the back of that bunny... OMG, I laughed so hard I got stomach cramps... and then I laughed some more... it was so funny... just riding on the back of that bunny cracks me up... I can't do serious stuff while riding it... I just spend the whole time laughing.... :)

Solar flare isn't a weapon it's an armor set. The solar eruption is a weapon and yes it does not have homing but they were talking about the flairons bubbles. Although I disagree with them being monstrosities I personally like them both.

In my opinion expert mode feels the same difficulty a part from bosses. Sure the enemies have higher stats and a few new tricks, but they're still as easy to keep back and just require a few more hits as most of them can only do damage by touching you and most range enemies can't attack while they're taking damage. The thing reminding me that this is expert mode not regular mode is the boss fights, everything else feels the same for me.

In my opinion expert mode feels the same difficulty a part from bosses. Sure the enemies have higher stats and a few new tricks, but they're still as easy to keep back and just require a few more hits as most of them can only do damage by touching you and most range enemies can't attack while they're taking damage. The thing reminding me that this is expert mode not regular mode is the boss fights, everything else feels the same for me.
The enemies have double health, defense, and attack...

You have to stand their for a few extra seconds while the enemies throw themselves pointlessly at your weapon until you kill them. Not much harder in my opinion just takes a little bit longer to explore caves.

@Az123Terra, please do NOT call other forum members noobs on this forum.
ok ok! just had to let it out earilier!

Koala.jpg

(koalas rule!)

Expert mobs are much easier with banners.
for example, Corites deal 105 damage to stardust armor without the banner and 35 with banner.

Expert mobs are much easier with banners.
for example, Corites deal 105 damage to stardust armor without the banner and 35 with banner.

Woah... I knew banners helped a little bit, but I had no idea they helped that much... wow... they cut your damage by 2/3????

I guess I need to stop trashing them all now... I wonder if they work that well on bosses... and waves... if so, soon the pumpkin moon and frost moon won't be able to touch me anymore :)

Woah... I knew banners helped a little bit, but I had no idea they helped that much... wow... they cut your damage by 2/3????

I guess I need to stop trashing them all now... I wonder if they work that well on bosses... and waves... if so, soon the pumpkin moon and frost moon won't be able to touch me anymore :)
They don't cut damage in 2/3 because my defense was 42, and since defense is more in expert the half-damage provided by the banner becomes very powerful.
The banner provides: a 50% increased damage (100% Expert) and -25% damage taken (-50% Expert) when fighting monsters displayed on the banner.
So if you have the banners of Pumpkin moon monsters in the arena, the fight will be much easier.

Back
Top Bottom