1.3 Expert Mode Discussion

Do you like Expert mode?

• Yeah!

• Meh....

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
What bosses have you beat? - Every boss except Brain of Cthulhu (I never bothered to get the accessory :/)
How'd you beat em? -
Many ways. Too long to type :/ Mainly used Golden Shower
Found any cool loot or things? - Personally the Shiny Stone, Worm Scarf, Suspicious Looking Tentacle, Bone Glove, and Demon Heart are my favorites
What do you like/dislike about expert mode? - I like Expert mode because it adds challenge and good times. I don't like expert mode because Terraria newbies are like "I'm amazing at this game I'll do hardcore character on Expert world" and blame the game for dying two seconds in.
And most importantly, are you having fun? - Yeah, it's a great challenge to the game.

So far I've killed the Eye and Brain of Cthulhu, Queen Bee and Skeletron, the hardest fight so far was with Skeletron...

key items to kill him: slimy saddle (to avoid skeletron's spinning attack), Horse Shoe (to negate fall damage from double jump), Sandstorm in a Bottle (to get double jump) other accesories with defense bonus, Bee's Knees with Hive Pack, basic buffs

it is weird that it's easier to get molten armor than beating skeletron...

IMO expert mode is fun, I feel like the first days playing terraria were everthing killed me, but I really don't like the fact that the only way to defeat bosses is through ranged attacks, so far for me melee in expert mode is buried and it's sad because I really want to try those yo-yos, I hope hardmode will be diferent
Just use the slime mount invincibility exploit. Place two target dummies right next to eachother on even land, place a block on the fifth block above their heads, and get on your slime mount, and bounce on them. It was in a TerrariaHelp video.

So far in my multiplayer expert mode run, my partner (Playing a summoner focus with ranged weapons for when things get dicey) and myself (pulling away from my love for magic weapons to give melee a chance) have beaten every boss but the WoF in pre-hardmode. The easiest was Skeletron. With 280 health each and me switching between the Bee Keeper and Molten Fury and him going full-on bee king with the hivepack, bee gun, bee's knees, and a hornet staff, we killed him before the night was half done and had enough time to kill the EoW a couple more times before going back home during the day and continue working on other things.

Now, in order for my partner-in-crime to get his luxury bee suit and army, we had to fight the Queen Bee, and let me tell you. I have never been killed so much and been so angry in my whole life. I died way too often to count, and there was no warping home for a moment to heal up and head back in because the foul seductress would follow me, THEN DESPAWN WHEN I WORMHOLED BACK. This queen meant beesnus. Thankfully, my partner was able to destroy her despite my repetitive dying and screaming.

I can't imagine what the WoF is going to be like with its hungries and super sonic racing across the underworld, but none the less, here's my toss in on this thread.

So far in my multiplayer expert mode run, my partner (Playing a summoner focus with ranged weapons for when things get dicey) and myself (pulling away from my love for magic weapons to give melee a chance) have beaten every boss but the WoF in pre-hardmode. The easiest was Skeletron. With 280 health each and me switching between the Bee Keeper and Molten Fury and him going full-on bee king with the hivepack, bee gun, bee's knees, and a hornet staff, we killed him before the night was half done and had enough time to kill the EoW a couple more times before going back home during the day and continue working on other things.

Now, in order for my partner-in-crime to get his luxury bee suit and army, we had to fight the Queen Bee, and let me tell you. I have never been killed so much and been so angry in my whole life. I died way too often to count, and there was no warping home for a moment to heal up and head back in because the foul seductress would follow me, THEN DESPAWN WHEN I WORMHOLED BACK. This queen meant beesnus. Thankfully, my partner was able to destroy her despite my repetitive dying and screaming.

I can't imagine what the WoF is going to be like with its hungries and super sonic racing across the underworld, but none the less, here's my toss in on this thread.

Campfires, lanterns, honey bath nearby. Potions: ironskin, regen, endurance, rage/wrath.

And while you're there... Just because you're melee doesn't mean you can't slaughter her with a waterbolt or archery. Melee really isn't going to work so well on buzzy bee. Those buffs and molten armour tho..

Last edited:
I was so exited about expert mode, and decided to start with new character in a brand new large expert world.
People here talk about boss fights only, and I don't think they are not bringing ore and stuff from other worlds in order to defeat them or\and play solo.

For now I feel that expert Terraria has lost it's perfect balance. There is little to none feeling of progression and improvement. Improving armor has little effect on survivability. Going underground, going exploring to dig ore and gather resources is a huge pain at the beginning. And "beginning" here is platinum\silver tier armor and weapons. It's doable, adrenaline inducing at times and feels almost good, until you stumble upon any higher tier monster and die(spider, javelin thrower, medusa, antlion, etc). Since I play softcore character loosing money means a little to me (and there is no point to run back at place where you died because monsters will pickup your money and run away to despawn with it), but loosing my progression through map is more important and I have to go back through all hazards again and again and again. It's a pain to actually play in a large world now in expert mode.

After EoC started to show up at nights it became a pain to return home at surface to drop of gathered resources, build and craft in peace. I die underground at night, respawn at home and immediately EoC spawns and kills me again since there is no time to prepare and quaff all potions to stand against it.
I have 200hp, platinum breastplate and silver helmet and boots, katana, silver bow with flame arrows, sprint boots, important potions I have managed to create so far. And I can't defeat EoC. I have "arena" setup, get it almost dead when it becomes raged and spams his lighting-fast charges at you and it always kills me in seconds.
This becomes incredibly frustrating and having a feeling that you can't really do anything to get better stuff is really hurts a lot.
I can't go outside to explore the surface to find cactus for potions. Staying at home to grow plants is unavoidable(its a good thing), but spawning EoC almost every night is so frustrating. I can't go out at nights to gather stars to craft jester arrows and desert at night is a nightmare because of antlions. Mining for more platinum feels like a waste of time because improvement is so little its almost non existent, since you die fast in like 3-4 hits anyway.

And then I realised that I have to get platinum armor and weapons, all potions, arena, just to kill EoC! And what about EoW? I can't even imagine going near corruption biome. Where is the loot expert mode promises to counter insane hazards it brings? The good thing is potions now means a lot and is a must, but other than that expert mode gives nothing, but a frustration.
People say you have to get molten armor to kill Skeletron! If I've got molten armor(which is insanely hard to get in expert mode Underworld playing solo without binging ore from other worlds) why should I want to get into dungeon anyway?
And this is only beginning, I can't imagine how to play Expert Hard mode if you have to get molten armor to defeat Skeletron.

Terraria expert mode feels unbalanced and incredibly frustrating so I quit playing it. I think expert mode should be slightly harder than normal mode, where you have to thread carefully and slow, always be prepared with potions and consumables, overall spawn rate of monsters will be decreased as countermeasure to their upped hp and damage.
Now I play normal mode in a new world with a new character and feel that it more balanced progression-wise, but feeling it is too easy, and monsters are not hazards they are annoyances more like. :(

If your dying that much you need to get full 400 health. I found grenades to be useful for his rushing attacks. And why do you have platinum breastplate with silver helmet and greaves? Getting full silver gives you extra defense. Also I would get a platinum bow with Frostburn Arrows/minishark with silver bulets. Also use archery, Regen, iron skin, life force, and rage/wrath potions.

Back
Top Bottom