Official 1.3 Launch Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I generally agree, I also know some other (competent) players who struggle VERY HARD with expert BoC because they just aren't as well INTO THE ZONE as some others. Thus, I think it's fine. Chalk it up to you naturally being very good at this fight, because not many others would dare say Expert BoC is easy in the slightest.

Oh, I'm definitely not saying he's easy, nor that I'm particularly good at this game (I needed Full Meteorite and a Space Gun to actually beat the EoC, but that also may be because I couldn't be bothered to make an arena or use any buffs), but I just feel that the Expert Mode AI, which I feel is an important aspect of Expert Mode, isn't all that apparent. So far I've seen (most of them in multiplayer):
  • King Slime (can teleport on top of you, huge advantage against ranged players)
  • EoC (charges much more and much faster, much harder to hit)
  • EoW (shoots projectiles, no more standing still and just swinging your weapon)
  • Queen Bee (eh, well... still haven't actually found out what exactly she does apart from being faster, but I'll get to that once I beat her in Single Player, the odd one out for now)
  • Skeletron (shoots projectiles, no longer powerless if his hands are gone)
  • BoC (status effects on Creepers, but only if you actually get hit by them, Brain has illusions, but it's fairly obvious which one is the real one)
So yeah, I just feel that the AI should be more explicit, not necessarily more difficult (although it's very hard for those to be mutually exclusive if my suggestions are considered).

Already made a thread about it, but for the love of god, please increase the amounts of loots in multiplayer. Especially since bosses are significantly harder to farm.

so I found this it shoots its thing but there is no monster or pillar nearby
2015-07-05_00002.jpg

I'm just gonna say this: Crawlitpedes don't target you if your on the ground, meaning its target practice with hitting their tails.

I really don't like the 'smart wall replacer'. I am going to edit my config.json file to turn it off.

So, the day is finally here! You have Terraria 1.3 in your hands at last - so as you dig ever deeper into the juicy new content and features, come back here and let us know what you think.

Not just bugs - you can feel free to report those in our BUG REPORT SECTION (remember to make it clear that you are playing 1.3), but feedback in general: balance, things you find cool (or less cool), fun stories, etc.

This - coupled with Bug Reports - will assist the team in any needed fixes and adjustments post launch.

divider.png

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Development Team is particularly interested in feedback on the newly-added Expert Mode - in regards to balance, overall fun & challenge factor, etc. So, please provide any thoughts you have here. In order to help make this specific feedback more noticeable, please mark any Expert Mode feedback with the text below (just copy-paste it). Thanks!

EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK

divider.png

Thanks Terrarians...now get out there and explore!!!
It's amazing. Need i say more?

We REALLY need a rebalance patch.
I just died fighting the Moon Lord. AGAIN.
Using the endgame mage armor, best modifiers for both weapons and accessories, and filled with buffs.
I'm pretty pretty pretty mad right now.
Yes, it is the last boss and the last event, but I'm really starting to get frustrated by it.
Please, dear God, rebalance this!

The change to the moon lord is a pain, the debuff is fine, but the debuff lasting for 20 seconds is not so fine. At this point the fight is "shoot giant health sponge, die in the 20-15 seconds of the debuff because you already used your health potion.

Everything is awesome! Finally a boss that I can't just use specter set with hood on and eat its face, thank you.
The sounds the martians make are hilarious, and their drops surprisingly good for how easy they are.
But I have one problem: Nebula armor might be a bit on the OP side. Nothing major, just that the pick-up buffs are dropped by dealing ANY type of damage. I mean, before I had the Nebula set I had trouble staying alive against the solar pillar. Now I just stand still with the shiny stone (expert mode Golem item), a Star veil and other defensive accessories, and a Vortex beater with chlorophite bullets?! Moving only to pick up the health nebulas. I really think that's kind of odd amd would suggest changing it so they only drop while dealing magic damage.

I feel the presence of the final boss should stop all invasions, blood moons and eclipses.
I just spent 50 minutes trying to take the damn boss down (and nearly did it on my first try, nearly -_-), but while I was fighting this annoying battle of attrition with him I had to take down two probes (which I succeeded in thankfully or things'd turn into a :red:storm for real) and had a blood moon.

Fighting that boss is hard enough without having to deal with additional invasions.

I also have to say that it'll be a big pain in the arse to grind this boss for its loot, since dying will put you back all the way to slaying those guys in front of the dungeon. I admit that I am a bit puzzled about where the entertainment value would be. I imagine many people will be really frustrated about this fight. I know I am already. :indifferent:

Before I start in on my absurd wall of text, I'm going to quote these posts because they bring up a combination of things I'd like to address.

So, first things first, the majority of this overly long expository drop is going to be talking about the Moon Lord. The rest is about in-game balancing and what it feels like happened with that.

The Moon Lord himself, as a boss, is insane. This is totally fine--it's great, even! I love that the final boss of the game is huge, has multiple attack patterns, and when you defeat a segment, it doesn't stop him from using his attacks on you. It makes the fight challenging and thoroughly enjoyable to defeat him. There are, however, several major problems with this--and I feel like the latest patch to address them did it all wrong and backfired.

First, Spectre Armor with the Hood. Obviously this was the intent of the 1.3.03 update's debuff grant to Moony--its sole intent was to stop players easily farming him over and over with nothing but the Spectre Hood and a decent DPS magic weapon. Having killed him six times with ease using this setup and a Razorblade Typhoon, I can attest that it felt too easy, and that he needed some way to counteract this being the most reliable method of killing him. However...nullifying the Spectre Hood's ability entirely for the full duration of the fight, which is true only because he uses his tether-drain attack often enough the debuff never goes away if you're not somehow miraculously faster than him, is a kick in the teeth for the mage class. It wouldn't be that bad at all, except that his constant barrage of attacks, which come from unkillable sources once you've beaten the body part that originally used them, means taking damage is not only almost wholly unavoidable, it's also constant and forces you to fly around dodging for the full duration, lest your squishy mage die due to lower defense. Autohealing was a great solution to having such low defense, but none of the other classes really had it--the Spectre Hood heals players for approximately 12% of their weapon's base damage due to its damage cut and healing percentage. The Vampire Knives, the ONLY OTHER AUTOHEAL IN THE GAME, heal 7.5%. Their damage is low and forces you to use a single weapon with specific mechanics to heal--the Spectre Hood lets you use anything, from the Typhoon to the Razorpine to the Blizzard Staff to the Bubble Gun. Your DPS and thus your healing, whether your attacks home, whether they pierce, how much mana they use--it's all up to you and the healing results no matter what you go with. It opens a massive amount of player-build options and using different tools to solve different problems, rather than one slightly-clunky set of throwing knives and nothing else.

Giving the final boss, with 145,000 health and a constant barrage of high-damage attacks without any option to destroy projectiles or the sources of the attacks themselves, the ability to nullify the mage class's best set of gear was a direct brick to the face to anyone using it, seemingly because that option was the best and unbalanced because of the lack of other same-level autohealing options for other classes. The replacement new-endgame armor for the mage class instead boosts natural life regen by producing randomly-generated buffs that stack in three levels and last for around ten seconds a level if not replenished. This would be a great solution, except the increased life regen still doesn't hold a candle to the amount you can heal with a Hood and high-DPS weapon. The increased defense is nice, but not enough to offset the massive drop in survivability--meaning the Spectre Hood set is still the best mage outfit in the game for surviving heavy-damage environments, since you don't need to avoid as much damage as with the Nebula armor. The fact that the mage's new endgame armor is less effective than its previous endgame armor set is a clear sign of a poorly-balanced system. The weapons only make it worse. With my current build and Spectre Hood armor, my Typhoon deals 62 damage and costs 12 mana. The new Nebula Blaze weapon deals 112 damage and costs 13 mana. The Blaze fires slightly faster, but the Typhoon now fires TWO projectiles for one use. On top of that, while both are homing and move at around the same speed, the Blaze explodes on impact and the Typhoon can infinite-pierce and infinite-ricochet, lasting three seconds and dealing its 62 damage each time it hits during that duration--for each of the two wheels. There's no contest, the Typhoon--a previously endgame weapon--is vastly better than the new endgame weapon.

This only serves to highlight what feels like an egregious oversight by the development team: Autohealing is the current most viable solution for surviving endgame fights of all kinds, and the new endgame gear is less effective on all fronts for the one class that has a workable autoheal mechanic. The new Summoner gear is fantastic, since it gives much better defense and the set bonus is quite useful, as well as the two endgame minion weapons being particularly effective, but the minions attacking enemies around you still leaves you personally vulnerable and left to your own devices, most of which are base-damage weapons of whatever kind due to favoring Warding accessories and only using the ones that boost the minion cap. The new Ranged gear feels like a light rehash of the old endgame setup--a more reasonable stealth ability on the armor, which is all-around boosting instead of having multiple helmets; a bow that acts like a slightly-tweaked version of the Tsunami; a machine-gun that acts like a slightly better Chain Gun. The Melee gear is about the same thing: the armor is a different version of Beetle armor with only one type of buff, the new weapons are a thrown lasting-damage spear and a flail/chain-knife that looks like an extendable sword, and the yoyos are a great addition--but even the Terrarian pales in comparison to the Flairon with its homing projectiles and DPS abilities, given how far they travel and how well they home in. The mage armor grants a mana-regen buff, a health-regen buff and a damage booster buff for dealing damage, which stack and in a decent fight can be almost infinitely kept at their highest levels--which makes it a formidable player-damage-boosting and survivability-enhancing armor set. It feels like it's a level ahead of the other three armor sets, and that was the same truth in the last endgame sets with Spectre being the only one with autohealing. On top of that, the Spectre armor set is still a more viable alternative! Autohealing is clearly the way to go with things, and only the mage class has it in a workable fashion.

The easiest way to rebalance the classes so that mages weren't on top of everything with autohealing wouldn't have been to do what was done and add an alternate form of health gain as a result of damage for the class, since the other three classes still didn't get anything in that similar vein. It would have been to give the other three classes a similar ability on a similar level. The easiest way to balance autohealing would have been, and still would be, to create something like an accessory that heals players for, say, even 5% of the damage they deal. This would grant autohealing on a reduced level to summoners, rangers, and melee users, as well as keeping it with the mages--but it would allow for weapon versatility on a level that would give them all a reason to use the accessory in their builds, and the mages would drop Spectre Armor for the new accessory because the new armor would provide better defense and some different bonuses while the accessory kept their coveted autoheal. Mages would no longer be on top, but even with the rest, because autohealing would be available in a widespread fashion--and the reduced level of healing, countered by a lack of dependence on a particular weapon or armor set for it, would balance out against the Spectre Hood getup, making it no longer the best option. Endgame bosses and enemies from things like the Lunar Events could be given additional defense or the like, perhaps the Lunar Pillars and Moon Lord could get a debuff active during their full fights based on proximity that would reduce autohealing by a percentage instead of outright killing it, and gain additional damage to compensate for the player's ability to rapidly heal from it. Certain enemies could have the ability to inflict a debuff on attack that would nullify autohealing for, say, three to five seconds, providing a challenge in dodging as well as managing one's health and damage efficiently so as to not be caught off-guard by the debuff and left high and dry.

What was done instead was that for the final boss fight alone, for the final boss fight alone and none of the pillar fights or any previous areas of the game, autohealing was nullified completely. Every situation except the Moon Lord's fight is now best dealt with using the autohealing mage outfit, exactly as before, and the only thing that has changed is that the Moon Lord is now the exception to that rule. None of the other classes were affected--for them, the fight is exactly as hard as it used to be, which is the same difficulty that drove players to use the Spectre set as a better option--but for mages the fight is now cripplingly more difficult and requires the use of the new, less-efficient armor set to realistically stay alive...and from my personal experience, even then it's not reasonably possible to defeat him with that setup. He just deals too much damage too often from unstoppable sources for it to work, and potions don't help enough.

I have been able, thus far, to solo every boss in the game with any build (except my summoner due to a lack of real game-development focus on that build type), with no arena preparation whatsoever. It should be possible for all bosses--just significantly more difficult. For the Moon Lord, it now appears impossible to do so, since the most viable option for it was just shattered with a sledgehammer and its pieces thrown in our face for our insolence in using it, while the new armor was pointed at and gestured wildly toward saying "But look! THIS one still works with him! It's a good option now, right?!"

It doesn't exactly help that when the setup currently in place causes one to die to the Moon Lord, it requires them to kill the cultist boss, all four pillar enemy barrages, and the pillars themselves before they can try it again. It gets a bit tedious and loses its challenge the tenth or twelfth time one goes through the motions of eradicating the Cultist and Pillars just to even attempt the Moon Lord fight again.

Even if the new anti-autoheal debuff were toned down, it still wouldn't balance the game--it would just open the option to slaughter him with the Spectre armor back up again, and make it harder to do so. The game doesn't need that kind of 'balancing', it needs something to level out all the classes such that they've all got similar options that pertain to their respective damage types, but are on equal footing.

Wanders underground early on and sees marble. New building material? Oh, yes please! I'm always eager for those. Wanders a bit further, suddenly turns to stone and falls to death. Well that was interesting. You certainly know how to hit players with the unexpected! And with all the unfamiliar new sounds underground, unable to see their source at first, the game was suddenly scarier than Silent Hill. Meaning, good job.

Later... You know, this summoned Crimson Heart looks a bit strange for a heart. (Pauses walking to examine) Shaded creases across the middle, both halves... Wait. Is that... (Checks buff icon as well) Oh no. It is. It's a butt. A red-tinted human butt. Clever devil, whichever spriter sneaked that in. Or maybe somebody can convince me that my dirty mind is just imagining nonsense? Then again, considering also the existence of the Golden Shower and some suggestive NPC dialogue...

Ehem. Well, I'm off now to find granite next.

First of all I want to say this - 1.3 is AMAZING, like SUPER AMAZING.

Now to business:
I was a little bummed that there isn't many high-end combo accessories like Cell Phone/Celestial Shell/Architect Gizmo Pack.

For example, I would really like to see:

1) Ultimate Fishing Acc:

High Test Fishing Line + Angler Earring + Tackle Box

2) Ultimate Magic Acc (aka magic counterpart for Fire Gauntlet/Snipers Scope/Papyrus Scarab):

Celestial Cuffs + Celestial Emblem

3) Ultimate Invincibility Acc:

Star Veil + Sweetheart Necklace

4) Ultimate Boots Acc:

Frostspark Boots + Lava Waders

5) Ultimate Tank Acc:

Frozen Turtle Shell + Paladin's Shield

To people: What you think? Which ones would you like to see in the game?

To devs: Maybe you can still add at least some of them in your last hotfixes?

Last edited:
Later... You know, this summoned Crimson Heart looks a bit strange for a heart. (Pauses walking to examine) Shaded creases across the middle, both halves... Wait. Is that... (Checks buff icon as well) Oh no. It is. It's a butt. A red-tinted human butt. Clever devil, whichever spriter sneaked that in. Or maybe somebody can convince me that my dirty mind is just imagining nonsense? Then again, considering also the existence of the Golden Shower and some suggestive NPC dialogue...
I think they were going for the non-realistic valentines heart that just happens to look like a butt.

That one should have been added already, some of the others might be a bit overpowered though...

I don't see the problem with the Ultimate Boots suggestion. It's not like it makes you overpowered or anything. More like a utility. Of course, I'd like to see all accessories.

Sorry to bug the forums again. But do you guys have a estimation on the release date of terraria on linux. If you do have at least an estimate that would be amazing.

I must say, I really enjoyed this update. The new mini biomes are awesome. I love the new blocks, the new chances for me to make the epic house of my dreams. The new underground mine cart systems made my day as i found 2 new minibiomes and happily fled from the monstrosities that chased me. I also enjoy the new bosses. I think it was genius to add the one continuous event (the Lunar Event) but also making it so you do not have to do it all on one life (I died, many, many times...).
The new mounts: epic.
The new items: epic.

I also especially liked the changes. The new Souls animations makes them seem more, well more like souls, more fluid and realistic. The new underground background makes it seem more like an evil, dark pit rather than a single tunnel of complete obsidian. The npcs are much better. No longer must I slave away to protect my merchants as a solar eclipse (5th one in a row) plagues my game in the exact moment I must help my mother carry a heavy load. Also, the change from biome key molds to just plain biome keys really made my day. While there is some bugs, I have waited for this update with little patience and I am not disappointed.

This may seem contradictory, but there are some things I think could be changed, I also am not disappointed as the develops have a lot of work, and everyone needs a break from the plague known as: "Work".
While not everything can be rainbows and sunshine, that's only the hallow, there are some things I, in my personal opinion, would love to see:

1. An improved Ocean. I do not know what others think, but currently the only reason I have gone to the ocean was to fight Duke Fishron, get some ink, or create a fish farm to get the biome keys. It would be awesome if the ocean had some sort of dungeon or something in it, or maybe was bigger with perhaps an island or 2. Though it is not my job to program this game, and I could definitely not do it myself.

2. A different arrangement of the biomes of the world. I do not know about others, but with the new update I created a new character to try the new changes and found to my dismay found my weak, wood-clad soldier balanced between a deadly land of corruption and a massive sinkhole in the land of no rain. Furthermore, that "little" sinkhole preceded to send flying menaces, the terror of my dreams: insects, to hunt my character down and rip his face off (that is exactly what the death message was). While this may the purpose of the set up its a little discerning to new beginner.

3. An item, or set up that allows the player to leave the world to lands beyond. In my opinion, with the addition of the events Martian madness and the Moon Lord I think it would amazing if I, in retaliation to those deranged beings that seem to enjoy melting my bones with a death ray, could invade their worlds, with new ores, new bosses and and new equipment. While this seems to the focus of Terraria: Otherworld (or whatever its called I'm not good with names) it would still be cool to find the origins of Cthulu and how on earth he sent his eye to attack me, an innocent miner in a large world.

These are just some of my opinions that I think would be cool to have.

Once more, I would like to emphasize that I enjoyed the update very much, and despite not having everything I wanted, I really loved all the changes that were made to improve the game and make it "better not bigger" as it was stated to be.

Hi! love the update so far but there are few things that don't work, and some things are way too overpowered.

First, Martian Saucer is way too overpowered. The first phase is OK, but in the second the damage is way too high and the speed is near impossible to hit. My friends and I kept on dying to the same thing because of the speed and the damage. I guess the damage is ok if the speed was nerved because it's way too fast to avoid and hit.

Second, I cant find Steampunker wings. I've gone to the Steampunker after golem was defeted again and again, but I still can't find it. Is there some certain things that you have to do to buy them?

Last, I've killed the Nymph several times and still haven't got a metal detector even though it's meant to be a 100% drop. Am I just extremely unlucky or my game is bugged?

Also I found a bug with the item frame and somehow duped a Pwnhammer and Nimbus rod. I was just spazzing around with it and somehow I got 2 back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom