Official 1.3 Launch Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, there's a simple fix for the three problems you still have: Don't play in Expert Mode. All of those issues are specific to it, and are intended to make the game harder for those who enjoy a more difficult game. If you're like me and don't like having monsters rob you after they've beaten you to a pulp, don't choose Expert at World Creation.

Oh, that explains the difficulty... So sorry, I don't reallize, that it's in the expert mode. Than, everything is awesome ^~^

Are you playing Expert mode?

This is intentional, it's Expert mode so the penalties for death are more severe. :)

Are you sure? It's showing up for me.

It may be intentional but I think this is to harsh if they despawn, you should be able to track them down and teach them a good old terraria lesson ;) Otherwise there is no point to enemies picking it up if you can never get back to them in the first place. Enemies picking up money is cool, despawning to quickly not

Reactions: Bas
It may be intentional but I think this is to harsh if they despawn, you should be able to track them down and teach them a good old terraria lesson ;) Otherwise there is no point to enemies picking it up if you can never get back to them in the first place. Enemies picking up money is cool, despawning to quickly not
The point is that you lose your money and can't just go run and get it back XD

If there's anything that needs to be fixed about Expert Mode so far, is Eye of Cthulhu's Rage Mode. You can barely dodge his tempter tantrum at all, even with the Hermes' Boots and Grappling Hook. You should never force the player to take damage. There should ALWAYS be a way to dodge.

So far I love LOVE the new content except for the Medusa enemy and only for one reason. The damn stare. I play on a 1600 x 900 monitor and she can hit me with it off screen. I didn't even know there was a Marble biome there and suddenly I'm stoned followed by a hoplite javilen. This happened both expert and regular game modes. I just find it annoying that her stone stare has such a stupid long range. Both vertical and horizontal.

My first fight with the Ol' EoC ended in a near heart attack with it's surprise 3rd and 4th phases, my second fight however, ended in a brutal slaughtering of the poor fellow as I had upgraded from a wooden yo-yo, and lead bow, to a diamond staff, and plat bow.

On a completely unrelated note, there seems to be some odd generation with some of the traps found around the abandoned houses, with most of them being disconnected, or having no identifiable purpose.
2015-06-30_00003.jpg2015-06-30_00009.jpg2015-06-30_00018.jpg

Having an awesome time do far!

Digging my way through to collect life crystals was the frustrating part, as it took me two hours worth of digging (and dying) to collect just five of them. But I was able to complete a set of Silver Armor along the way.

The underground desert was certainly a nice addition. Was a bit hard a first, but after I found a Trident, in a shallow pool in the Snow Biome of all places, I was able to fend off the Swarmers and Chargers. I also found a pyramid upon entering the desert, but only got the Pharaoh Outfit. Was really hoping for a Sandstorm in a Bottle.

I managed to find a couple of Gravitation Potions, which was a real godsend! Found the Sky Lake while searching for some floating islands. On one island, I was fortunate enough to find a Legendary Starfury! Then a Shiny Red Balloon on another, and a Lucky Horseshoe on the next. Things were finally starting to look up! (hehe, puns)

After some chest hunting in the underground, and some failed life crystal searches, I returned home, just as night was starting. Sure enough, I saw the message of doom and gloom, "You feel an evil presence watching you..." I panicked at first, and quickly brewed an Ironskin Potion and a Regeneration Potion. Luckily enough, I killed the Eye of Cthulu on my first try in Expert Mode with only 200 health, Silver Armor, and my trusty Starfury! I was at 16 health when I delivered the final blow. Loving the shield so far!

I finally discovered a granite biome just 30 minutes before this post. Started with using bombs to make a hellivator, when I saw a Granite Elemental float my way. Once I killed it, I knew I had to make my way to collect granite and make an epic structure of some sort!

Unfortunately, that's as far as I've gotten, along with housing 6 NPC's. I decided to make my house several blocks above the ground, using rope as my way in in order to prevent zombies from getting in. I never understood why nobody ever uses that tactic.

Anyway, looking forward to playing some more tomorrow after work. I'm having a real blast!

On one island, I was fortunate enough to find a Legendary Starfury!
I can beat that, got a slime staff my first purple slime kill of the first day :p
Unfortunately, that's as far as I've gotten, along with housing 6 NPC's. I decided to make my house several blocks above the ground, using rope as my way in in order to prevent zombies from getting in. I never understood why nobody ever uses that tactic.
I always do that! It just makes so much sense :p

Glad you're enjoying yourself and props on beating EoC first try! That thing is a psycho XD

Alright, Gonna post a few things:

The only bug I had while playing was when I was fighting the new lunar boss, after I defeated the second pilliar in a multiplayer game. I started acting odd and I could only face to the left. I couldn't switch items or use my grappling hook, nothing like that. I could only move and fly with my wings.

Heeeeere's my suggestions:
Make the lunar boss moon a little higher in definition.
Add more animated dyes (Something like the living flame but blue or green)
Add a painting that references to smbx (one of redgit's older projects) in some way shape or form.

EDIT:
I was also having MAJOR lag issues in the Lunar event and Final Boss.

First-time poster, very long-time player here. Here are my first impressions of 1.3.

* Thank you so much for the quick-sort-to-nearby-chests button. That saves me more time than you could possibly imagine...
* Medusas seem a little overpowered... They can petrify any time they're in the same general area as you (line-of-sight not required), and I'm not sure if it was a bug or not, but I was instakilled from near-max health when one petrified me in mid-air. I'm hesitant to even jump in the Marble biome now!
* I love the summonable piggy bank! It completely revitalizes the piggy bank and makes it genuinely better than the safe.
* The cursor is still way too small. I'm sure you guys are sick of hearing that, but it's true! 8x8 is too microscopic to track on a 1920x1200 display, especially in a hectic battle.
* Money is much easier to come by in Expert mode. Seriously, I had 2 platinum before I even defeated the Wall of Flesh, without really trying to build up funds either. It helps that I'm constantly putting money in the piggy bank, granted. I definitely approve, as grinding for funds is just about the most boring thing imaginable.
* Overall, I'm quite satisfied! 1.2.3 rubbed me the wrong way, 1.2.4 definitely felt like an improvement, and 1.3 is a clearly superior product

What's wrong with 1.2.3?

EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK

Expert mode put the fear of slimes back into me. I've been running around scared and its been wonderful. When the NPC's play the game better than you, there has been a definite difficulty spike.

The only thing I've disliked about expert mode so far is that it is often impossible to catch the monsters that stole your money. Even if you sprint back to the location you died at, the enemies have almost always de-spawned. I love the idea of having enemies pick up you money and run off with it and forcing the player to fight a monster to get their gold back.

My suggestion would be to perhaps make it so that the enemy doesn't de-spawn for a few minutes after the player dies to give players a chance to recover their loot (especially in single player mode). Again, I love the concept, it reminds me of scrambling to recover lost souls before you die again in Darksouls and Blood Borne.

I would personally like to be able to use the 6th accessory slot and other Expert Mode items outside of an Expert world. I understand that because of the potency of these accessories they might be restricted, but I worked hard in order to get them in the first place, so can't I take them into a more relaxed environment instead of one where I could very easily get hit for 250+ hp by The Destroyer?

the steam integration isn't working correctly I mean that i cannot join any of my friends and they cannot too but yesterday i could

EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK

Alright, I'm going to share my thoughts on Expert Mode and try hard not to sound like a whiny baby.

My first experience with Expert Mode was fun. I liked how enemies have new abilities, such as Skeletons throwing bones and Jellyfish becoming invincible when shocking. This brought back challenge to an area of the game I found too easy.

But as this is a new challenge mode, and with how hard it is to balance things.. well, Expert Mode is not perfect, and can use some serious rebalancing.

First, there are the hoplites that seem to spawn around marble biomes. These guys throw javelins harming for over 100 damage, which is deadlier than hardmode dungeon mobs, and these guys are at-the-beginning mobs. Even in full Beetle armor these enemies will be hurting for 70 or so, as pre-hardmode enemies.

The bosses seem to be the main problem for me. The Eye of Cthulhu battle was exciting at first, however with these new gimmicks and speeds that break the sound barrier, this results in many weapons becoming obsolete. You won't be able to win with an Enchanted boomerang, or a Yoyo, or magic staffs, or shurikens. Besides tossing molotovs all over the place, using a bow with frost arrows (with most damage coming from the debuff, the boss simply moves too fast for you to be constantly hitting with arrows), or using the starfury, I don't really see how else a player can defeat this boss. Even with the best dodging skills, the boss simply moves so fast that most weapons won't be able to hit it, and with a time limit of night time, you need to be dealing enough damage, or else the boss just flies off.

I'm currently on Brain of Cthulhu and I'm completely stumped. I'm using javelins and starfury and spears and I can't even kill a single creeper. I consider myself a decent Terraria player, placing myself above average but in no way the best. I can defeat Duke Fishron without an arena, without buffs, and without exploits, without taking any damage. But I can't kill one creeper from the Brain of Cthulhu. I'm thinking my only options are to craft a ton of molotovs and spam them all over, or gather up enough stars and pull out the ol' star cannon, but I fear that even by doing this, my efforts will go to waste as I might die, and all that will have been for nothing. As if the stats weren't overwhelming enough, the boss will also inflict confusion and poison, and for some reason, silence (which renders all magic weapons useless, which is unfairly limiting). I'm completely stumped. I understand that Expert Mode is meant to be a challenge, but there is a fine line between hard and unfair.

Defense is another big issue. If damage from enemies is all around increased, this effectively lowers the value of player defense. For example, the hoplites that hit for 100 damage. In copper armor, that's 97 damage. In molten armor, that's about 87 damage. At max 400 HP, that's 5 hits for the copper armor wearer to die, but with molten, that's 6 hits to die. This renders all the tiers between copper and molten obsolete, as it takes several tiers up to be able to take a hit more. And with bosses moving so insanely fast, a hit more won't even feel like a hit more as you go from full health to dead in 4 seconds. If damage was lower, say, 40 damage, copper would die in 11 hits, and molten would die in 15 hits. This gives a little more room for tiering up, however not a lot, still. Perhaps damage should be returned to the same as Normal difficulty, as the new attacks and high speeds are already enough to increase damage taken. Either that, or revamp the defense system to use percentages, like the Endurance Potion.

I understand that Expert Mode is meant to be a challenge, but the difficulty curve is more like a difficulty wall. With the gear available, I honestly find Expert Eye of Cthulhu to be far more difficult than Normal Duke Fishron. It was like I was fighting the final boss. Except it was the first boss. And it only gets more difficult from there on.

It's really sad that all these cool new weapons I can't even effectively use on bosses, with some of my favorite weapons also being useless :dryadsad:. Yoyos are cool, I'd like to use javelins, but they're useless against these bosses, and they're just the first bosses. I really hope this is not how Expert Mode will remain to be. I would love to use all the new equipment to take these tough guys out. I feel Terraria is full of options, it lets the player play how they want, however Expert Mode goes against this, limiting the player to only a couple weapons of a large variety.

I really want to enjoy Expert Mode, but until changes are made, I may just have to switch over to a normal world. I wish to play with the new content, which Expert mode won't allow me to. :(

Last edited:
I turned off the multicore lightning now it only crashes when I exit :( . Once I started to play there is no escape o_O

Hey guys since yesterday i am having this problem! i attach a screenshot below!
Terraria starts normally and after choosing a Character new or old one it crashes!

bXe45cR.jpg

AVGcI6e.jpg

Anybody has something similar or knows how to fix it?
i am running windows 7 if you need any further information please let me know else the game worked perfectly fine before the patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom