Official 1.3 Launch Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I've now checked what this big final boss buff in 1.3.0.3 is all about with a endgame character of 1.2.4, the cultist was a bit of trouble, Pillars were, other than the Fire one, ok to do and as soon as I got to the final boss I just got flat out destroyed.
It's sad to see that the same things are repeating itself, with impossible bosses and all that, similar how the moon events of 1.2 were.

So if you want to know my opinion about the final boss:

I'd rather make it too easy than overly difficult/only doable by best of the best gear.

As for the healing, I can see how that's a issue, but I'd just completely remove that debuff at least for normal mode and reduce the one on expert to like 10 seconds, or make it only last 5 seconds. The main issue with the moon lord is that his attacks are very hard to dodge, for example that laser, instead of doing like a 270 degree turn, that could be limited to just 90, so the players could avoid it easier.

EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK

Solar Tower: THESE THINGS HIT LIKE A TRUCK WITH A SPIKE PAD GLUED TO THE FRONT. like seriously, I had tanky armor and I was still pretty much always below 25% health, and I even had the Vampire Knives.

These +250 dmg Crawltipedes.... Man, I thought Expert mode was supposed to be challenging, but still fun and rewarding. These super high damage hits are merely pissing a lot of people off. Including myself and a good friend of mine. We both had a solo shot at this Solar pillar and then we decided to team up because it was overly frustrating to even try soloing it. You can still solo it, by simply killing stuff, then dying and repeating, but nobody wants to "win" this way. So can we pretty please agree that some of the DMG-values are over the top here and there? I mean, that destroyer was a shock already, dealing +200 dmg to a fully Adamantite armoured Character. But +250 hp lost when in full Beetle armour? Hell, no!

The achievement "It's hard" should be changed to "It's hard when you're doing a legit play, but with your regular endgame character it's just ****ING ANNOYING! :D "

Expert Mode in Terraria seems to be degenerating back to the state that the later CastleVania games were in, ie. expecting absolute perfect reflexes with very narrow windows of opportunity for effective combat and very high penalties for getting hit. That's not really what anyone was asking for, at least that I can think of. The more challenging boss AI, I'm cool with that (Skeletron's a whole new fight, and what I was expecting from Expert mode in terms of changes). The whole "everything is twice as strong" aspect, however, is just overkill. It makes the early game a slog, the mid-game like early Hardmode, early Hardmode a slog again, and late Hardmode really annoying. Maybe making everything 1.25 times as strong (or 1.5 times if you really want to push peoples' patience) would work better. But the allure of Expert mode is not that every mistake is going to end you. The allure is that the game plays differently and is genuinely more challenging as opposed to more punishing. One of the hardest lessons in game development is figuring out the difference between the two, so it doesn't surprise me that much that Expert mode is currently more "rather punishing" than "rather challenging".

Expert Mode in Terraria seems to be degenerating back to the state that the later CastleVania games were in, ie. expecting absolute perfect reflexes with very narrow windows of opportunity for effective combat and very high penalties for getting hit. That's not really what anyone was asking for, at least that I can think of. The more challenging boss AI, I'm cool with that (Skeletron's a whole new fight, and what I was expecting from Expert mode in terms of changes). The whole "everything is twice as strong" aspect, however, is just overkill. It makes the early game a slog, the mid-game like early Hardmode, early Hardmode a slog again, and late Hardmode really annoying. Maybe making everything 1.25 times as strong (or 1.5 times if you really want to push peoples' patience) would work better. But the allure of Expert mode is not that every mistake is going to end you. The allure is that the game plays differently and is genuinely more challenging as opposed to more punishing. One of the hardest lessons in game development is figuring out the difference between the two, so it doesn't surprise me that much that Expert mode is currently more "rather punishing" than "rather challenging".
Agreed. I tried defeating the Pillars in expert mode, with, I KID YOU NOT, 3 other friends with endgame gear. It was STILL the hardest bull:red: I've ever tried to do. And when we eventually summoned Moon Lord, he killed us within 4 seconds and we had to start the cultist event OVER again. THIS IS NOT A GAME! THIS IS A HARD ROUND OF FRUSTRATION.

There is stuff that is dealing three times the damage that it normally would have dealt. Just saying...

I would encourage the developers to watch this:

There are a number of things that Terraria does wrong, both in Normal and Expert, for delivering a challenging-not-punishing experience. This excellent discourse on the subject from Extra Credits pretty much highlights where the frustration points exist with the game. To sum up the big ones: extra-long "iteration time" (time it takes between a failed attempt and a retry at a task; this is almost criminally long for Hardmode bosses), inconsistent rules (Shield of Cthulhu works on regular enemies and not bosses; auto-save settings are ignored when the player dies; many others as well), and gameplay railroading (often bosses can only be fought with a very narrow possible set of equipment available at the time; this alleviates as the game goes on, but comes back in full force for the endgame). There are plenty of other points of contention as well where the game fails at challenge but succeeds at being punishing, of course. But that's a good starting point.

Ok, let me speak once about something other than game-starting issues...

I begun on the normal world, totally from beginning. My first boss fallen was of course EoC like always. Marble and granite mini-biomes got me suprised, i especially love the fact, that mobs in granite biome drop granite to make bricks, this makes it renewal and nice for building. Also liked generated cart tracks to granice biomes. The buffs from mob trophies make it way easier to deal with them.

Next, i somehow made it to the underworld from the underground jungle, made the bridge, then ended hellevator with rope to slide down. At the end i wanted just to try kill wall of flesh with my most beloved toy of all in pre-hardmode, BOW THE BEE's KNEES, just for fun. With only well fed buff, in ancient shadow armor dropped by mobs in corruption, with :red: accesories (2-3 of them are cell-phone accesories). I was shocked that actually WOF fell to my bee bow, and i entered hardmode without even hellstone pickace or nothing from hellstone xD.

But the best was then. I killed some night-mob in ice biome, and then i got
DEMONIC AMAROK - iceburn debuff yoyo, 50 dmg in my weak setup without any dmg accesory from WOF, any emblem etc.

GOOD LORD, THAT THING IS REALLY POWERFUL EVEN FOR WEAKEST CHAR STARTING IN HARDMODE. DMG is DMG, but IT HITS almost INSTANTLY ONE HIT AFTER ANOTHER.

With it's standard reach, it killed all these ghosts that come when you destroy demon altar and corruptors in hardmode corruption
IN LIKE 1,5 SEC, with so long use time that i could kill 4-5 in 6 seconds...
I was not impressed with yo-yoes until now... i imagine getting this yoyo bag accesory to make it even better and then rest of stuff...

As minus of 1.3 i must tell, that it's very hard for me to find basic accesories like magic mirror, shoe-spikes or this 2nd for sliding on wall, or hermes boots. Instead i found really big ammounts of umbrella's, ice skates and other accesories that were normally hard to find.

Ah, and i love portable money pig accesory, nice to have portable backpack :)
Wish me luck to fight for my place in 1.3 world with my overpower iceburn yoyo xD

PS: 2 slime rains in 7 terraria days. OMG.

One more thing: Fishron mount has no tooltip?
I guess devs were so impressed by "legendary creature which flourishes in water & combat" that they were left wordless ;]

[EDIT]
As minus of 1.3 i must tell, that it's very hard for me to find basic accesories like magic mirror, shoe-spikes or this 2nd for sliding on wall, or hermes boots. Instead i found really big ammounts of umbrella's, ice skates and other accesories that were normally hard to find.
It's not devs' fault, #BlameRNG

Last edited:
I hope thats a bug and i won't have this after fixes.
I got 7! (YEAH) Solar Eclipse+Blood Moon days in my Expert Mode right after defeating Golem. I totally didn't have a chance to survive during this, as mobs from SE are way too strong versus you in Expert.

Also, i beg for Martian Probe nerf. Its quite impossible to see it on small screens, so i got some "Martian visits" accidentally just because I wanted to travel to Dungeon. My screen is 17' and I don't stand a chance to evade it. It has such a big activation area, that by the moment when I realize it, it already escaped.
Probably if Probe turns red only when you stand right under it, things will go MUCH better after Golem. Ofc I'm speaking about Expert Mode.

I'm really enjoying expert mode but the medusa's are just cheap. I have no problem with turning into stone by one if I made a mistake and look at it but it is just really unfair when you're just mining and minding your own busness when sudenly you get turned into stone by a medusa that wasn't even on your screen and then you fall to your death. please just make it so medusa's can't stone you when they are not on your screen. also, calm down with the damage, I mean, 250+ damage for falling like 5-7 blocks while stoned? wtf!

Last edited:
I've had some random solar eclipses and martian madness events in a row too, don't nerf the probe spawnrate, but instead make it only activate when you stand right under it's light, like @DividedByZero mentioned. As for Solar Eclipses, maybe make one happen right after golem and then make them happen at more reduced rates ? It's quite easy to farm for the spawn event, so I wouldn't spam players with invasions unless they want to.

As for the final boss, I'd really reduce the debuff time, and most of all, make his attacks WAY more avoidable and maybe reduce the damge on it, this way people without leech can do it, leeching won't be as op, and people won't have to use the magic mirror nurse trick.

Also can you please stop the enemy spawning of ALL enemies during the final boss ? Had some probes spawn which activated the Martian Madness event, or a solar eclipse happening right after I took down the last Pillar.

Also, are the 2 unobtainable yoyo's(Red's Throw and Valkyrie Yoyo, as well as some other items) supposed to drop from the Hardmode Treasure Bags ? Valkyrie's Yoyo has the tooltip "Great for impersonating devs!", which makes me think that this is supposed to be dropped from it.

All I want for Christmas is a Star Wrath. I want it more than you.

1.0 came the game. 1.1 came difficulty. 1.2 came beauty. 1.2.1 came challenge. And now, 1.3 combines all of them together. The Lunar Boss looks insane! And expert mode is no joke... So fun!

963131901DD3E5B63B74FA2801FF38252086E9BE

I was walking, then i placed a torch and this happened

I've discovered what is a possible bug:
The wiki lists the Suspicious Looking Tentacle as being dropped by the Moon Lord's Treasure bag at a rate of 100%, however the normal mode Moon Lord does not appear to drop the item at all. This would lead me to believe that the Suspicious Looking Tentacle is a Expert mode exclusive. However the item is of red rarity, where as all other exclusives I have seen are rainbow. What is the intent with this item, is it expert exclusive, or intended for both modes and simply overlooked?
I received the Suspicious Looking Tentacle in normal mode, but only on my third Moon Lord kill. He can be a little stingy with his loot, so you just have to go whack him over the head again and steal his luggage.

I haven't done much in Expert Mode yet, since I'm no expert. On normal mode, I'd say the Moon Lord fight goes one of two ways for me.
  1. Something goes drastically and mysteriously wrong and I get my butt handed to me fairly quickly.
  2. I beat him without much trouble. It's a marathon to whittle away his health, sure, but one that I run without too much fear of dying... unless number 1 happens.
It seems about right for the average player, which is what I figure I am.

I had an incident where I crafted the Mechanical Cart and placed it in the cart slot. Some time went by, I died once, I may have exited the world at some point but I don't remember, and then I noticed the Mechanical Cart in my inventory. I was puzzled at that, but went to put it back in the cart slot, when I discovered it was still there. Somehow, my cart got duplicated. Unfortunately, my inventory was so full of building supplies that I didn't notice when exactly it happened, so I can't really make a helpful bug report.

I was not impressed with yo-yoes until now... i imagine getting this yoyo bag accesory to make it even better and then rest of stuff...
I'm still not sure whether they're as good as I feel like they are, or it's just the novelty of them, but the Yoyos are pretty darn slick. I like walking them around obstacles to smack an enemy in the face before they can reach me.

That the counterweights look like polyhedral dice just makes them that much cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom