Items [1.3] Return of the key moulds

Yes but the other bosses are FAR easier to kill that plantera...

Just because they're easy to kill, doesn't mean it isn't tedious. Just like how the WoF is easy to kill, but farming emblems is tedious.

plus most people would much rather kill plantera (who used to be the hardest boss, before duke fishron) twice rather than six times...

Players aren't likely to stop fighting Plantera after just two kills. After all, when was the last time you got the drops you wanted after only a few kills? Most players probably have a few spare Temple Keys lying around.

also you would have had the fight the mechanical bosses anyways with the old method as it used the souls of fright, might and sight in crafting the keys.

The only difference is you need to fight the wall of flesh twice (rather than once, with is no problem as he has a mere 8,000 health) and you fight plantera three times less (compared to the five times as the moulds required the temple key in it's crafting).

Every Mech Boss drops ~20 souls, at the very least. Killing each Mech Boss three times therefore gives you enough material to open four of any Biome Chest. As such, it only takes three rounds--or less--of Mech Boss kills to supply two people with full Biome Weapon sets, as opposed to four rounds of Mech Boss kills. (2*6/4 = 3 vs 2*2 = 4) That's a small difference, but it adds up.

Currently, in order to obtain a full set of Biome Weapons for one character, you need to reach post-Plantera twice, on two separate worlds.

I repeat: on separate worlds.

This is a problem because the more players you add to your multiplayer party, the more tedious this becomes. Let's the some math: One person? Two WoF kills. Two people? That two becomes four WoF kills. Three people? Six WoF kills. And that's just the WoF. There's still the Boss Mechs to think about.

People complained when they brought the key moulds in and now they complain when they remove them.

People complained when they brought the key moulds in because it meant that you couldn't obtain Biome Weapons in the early-game and sequence-break. People aren't complaining that the key moulds are gone; they're complaining because now, you have to play a world to post-Plantera every time you want a new Biome Weapon.

Since it's mainly a multiplayer thing--Is it possible to make Biome Chests work like Treasure Bags? I think it would solve a lot of issues here.

People complained when they brought the key moulds in and now they complain when they remove them.
Maybe... I didn't own Terraria before the key moulds were introduced, so I was not one of the complainers. And I am not "complaining'"; I am requesting.

The Mechanical Bosses and Plantera are not particularly difficult to kill with post-Plantera weapons. Plantera also has a number of drops, including the rare The Axe. (And if I remember correctly, there is also a set of drops where you can only get one at a time.) To attain these, you'll probably have to kill it a few times anyway, so you'll have leftover keys regardless.

My issue (for lack of a better phrase) stems from now being forced to kill all bosses up to and including Plantera in separate worlds. Previously, you could get the keys in one world, create some throwaway worlds and unlock the chests there. And that's fine - it doesn't sequence break or anything. In both the key mould (1.2.4.1) and direct key drops (1.3), you have to defeat Plantera. The difference now being in 1.3, you are forced to defeat Plantera (and everything preceding) in every world. It's not difficult, but it can be tedious and time-consuming. Much like how you need to defeat the Lunatic Cultist and the four Celestial Pillars before facing the Moon Lord. (Though for now, I'm OK with that. :))

Since it's mainly a multiplayer thing--Is it possible to make Biome Chests work like Treasure Bags? I think it would solve a lot of issues here.
I'm not too sure about this, as I'm yet to have experience with Treasure Bags. My Expert character / world is still in newb stage and being slaughtered mercilessly by slimes and zombies. Long way to go yet before I can face off against the EoC!
But if you'd like to explain / elaborate, please do. It could be an alternative to restoring the key moulds that still negates the need for defeating Plantera on every world.

True, but this adds value to the weapons for trading purposes.
Also you are limited on key moulds with the other option regardless of how many temple keys you owned. Though this may be annoying for people who collect the chests it is a blessing for the new people who are joining as they wont have to spend the tedious time finding plantera more than necessary.

Also note that the vast majority of people only collect each chest once (as they do it for the weapon, rather than the vanity chest item that contains it).

I agree with the main point but I mostly just want key molds back because they look nice and add a greater sense of satisfaction when crafting keys.

Support, I only hope the devs see it. I will say it is funny to me that the system keeps flopping back and forth when it was fine in the first place. (If anything key materials should have been changed for crafting.) I rarely play single player and honestly once a character hits moon lord the game is over for me. (What I mean by this is every time I play the game it is from scratch. Terraria is not an MMO, once a player hits Moon Lord the game is over except for battling the RNG.) As a result the issue of multiple players needing biome chests is very common when I play. This is the reason I haven't played much since 1.3. The hassle of 2-3+ players each getting vampire knives or worse all biome chests is too much for most of us. Do we need vampire knives? No, but we don't need anything between Golem and Moon Lord. (Moons, Duke, Martians, all optional.) We get them for that optional content so that we don't finish the game in only a few hours.

Bottomline, requiring Plantera on each world is a tedious method to get biome chests. (Exponentially more so with multiple players.) As far as I know the only purpose to this is to prevent a player from taking a Plantera key and going to a normal world to loot the dungeon, without the danger of new enemies. (Which players can cheat around anyway.) My point, plantera key + mold, should = key. No extra ingredients since keys drop on their own now. No locking keys to post Plantera because then players would lose the time up to Plantera to fight the RNG for keys. (Forcing farming after Plantera before moving on.) Finally, since keys need the temple key, the need to defeat Plantera before opening a chest should be removed.

I'm glad other people support this as I considered it an unpopular suggestion in my finishing up terraria post.

I think something else should happen. The golem/ jungle temple is not fitting in nicely. After defeating plantera most players go straight up to the jungle temple and omit the text message that something happened at the dungeon. After defeating the easy golem they might walk to the dungeon.
For new players:
"Oh, there is something new at the dungeon entrance". After killing the Cultist they run into the lunar event without knowing some new enemies in the dungeon.

Back
Top Bottom