1.3 Strange Plant Auto-Farm: It Works!

Blaine

Skeletron
First and foremost, I want to stress that a friend and I did all of this by hand: The map was cleared with Snowman Cannons, all of the materials used in building the farm were gathered by us, and every block, actuator, and wire was placed manually. It was a long and tedious process, but the rewards have been well worth it. The farm yields 10-15 Strange Plants per hour, and still works well as of 1.3.0.4.

Do you want to have a Strange Plant dye storage chest like this one?

17700cc008.png

Of course you do!

I'll be using a map viewer (experimental release of TEdit) in order to show you the farm's layout. Firstly, my friend and I created a new Small world and cleared out an approximately 1600ft x 750ft area with Snowman Cannons, starting from 0 height, due to the fact that Strange Plants cannot spawn within 700ft of any other dye plant or Strange Plant. (This may have changed since 1.3.0.4; we built the farm the day before the patch).

Note that we had originally planned to make the farm twice as tall as shown, but that would have been almost twice as much work, and it yields plenty of dye anyway. As of 1.3.0.4, you may not need to dig as far as we did, but if you want to be sure....

This is the farm in macro showing the area that we cleared:
eb3a06b186.png

So, what is the farm, exactly? It's 204ft wide, including the glass side walls. Most of it is 47 tiers of empty air, dirt, and glass. The first layer of dirt is at the "Level Surface" height on a Depth Meter, and very close to the center of the world horizontally. The last layer of dirt ends just before "Space" begins on a Depth Meter. You need three blocks of air for the Strange Plants to spawn, a layer of dirt for them to spawn on of course, and glass beneath just in case Orange Bloodroots might spawn and reduce the farm's efficiency.

In this screenshot you can see the basic form of the farm, as well as the ceiling we added above the 47th tier. The empty shaft in the middle is for maintenance purposes, but otherwise serves no purpose and you can feel free to fill it in:
94860af698.png

But that's all just dirt and air. What makes the farm tick are two wiring devices that I designed (although, I doubt I'm the first to do so).

Here's the bottom of the farm:
fdd09171f4.png

That group of switches on the far bottom-left is a pair of 10-second timer arrays, and they're the most important part of the farm. 10-second timer arrays are made by wiring one 5-second timer and two 3-second timers together in a certain way, such that the final 3-second timer activates once every 10 seconds. With a pair of 10-second timer arrays wired to actuated blocks with two different colors of wire, you can automatically set the timers to "pulse" actuated blocks off and on occasionally by clicking each of the 5-second timers. If you click the 5-second timers half a second apart, the wired blocks will be solid for 9.5 seconds, and unsolid for .5 seconds, every ten seconds, harvesting Strange Plants and allowing them to drop down.

This is important, because the dirt needs to be solid most of the time in order to give Strange Plants plenty of time to spawn. However, we don't want the Strange Plants to just sit there preventing more Strange Plants from spawning, so we need to harvest them every ten seconds. We also need them to drop down to us.

Here's the wiring. Just copy what I've done if you don't understand it:
ff60462a3c.png

All of the dirt and glass blocks—except for the glass sides, ceiling, and floor—must be wired with blue wire, red wire, and actuators.

You may have noticed all those timers and teleporters at the bottom, underneath the farm. They automatically move your character west and easy endlessly, so that you can collect Strange Plants automatically if you wish, while AFK. This is fairly optional, since you shouldn't surpass 400 loot entities unless you leave the farm running for a very long time.

This is the wiring, and note that you must use 3-second timers. They're what makes it work properly.
a944cc15db.png

Flick the switch to spawn a bird from the statue, which hits all those pressure plates in succession, activating the timers for the teleporter array. The dart trap at the end kills it, or you can be nice and leave that block open so that the bird can escape. You then simply step onto the first teleporter, and you'll move back and forth endlessly.

The solid glass will keep pirate invasions out of the teleporter corridor, if in Hardmode. At night, Wraiths will kill you if you don't use summons or wear higher-tier armor that damages enemies, although even if you die, chances are you can just walk over and pick up the Strange Plants that have accumulated. I imagine Solar Eclipses will also kill you regardless of summons or armor, but again, it doesn't really matter.

Final summary: Once the farm is built, flick the switch to activate the bird statue, which activates the teleporters. Then, press the two 5-second timers half a second apart in order to start the farm pulsing off and on. Then step onto the first teleporter, and enjoy your dyes! World file download is attached to this post, creatively named "World 8."

Video of the farm in action:

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Strange Plants behave oddly on servers of any kind, often requiring a restart in order to "refresh" themselves. No one's quite sure just what the issue is. It's important to use single-player mode if you intend to farm AFK.

There is a way to force Terraria to run in the background during single-player mode. First, set the game to windowed mode; then, instead of ALT-tabbing or clicking on another window to change focus, click the taskbar icon three times (for some reason, the first try won't stick) in order to minimize the game.

e578052ff9.png

Attachments

• World 8.zip
    901.2 KB · Views: 2,090
Last edited:
too much like work for dye. I've only ever found one strange plant (I only figured out that they were a thing yesterday), and just to make sure, all they do is dye your armor right?

Thanks for the compliments!

Can you make a video? I'd like to see this in action!

Sure thing.

too much like work for dye. I've only ever found one strange plant (I only figured out that they were a thing yesterday), and just to make sure, all they do is dye your armor right?

That's correct, although you could also trade or sell them to other players for things you might need.

This is certain to help a lot of people with a lot of time on their hands. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say this feat is very impressive and much appreciated.

I'll embed the video and add the world file to the OP. People should be able to play however they like, and that includes the use of mods, borrowed world files, and map editors. I'd like to add though that downloading the farm will likely reduce the sense of accomplishment you might feel if you build your own, or even improve on our design.

Also note that I found a red Strange Plant growing right next to a normal dye plant on my world today, so it seems Re-Logic's fix was to remove the requirement that Strange Plants can't spawn within 700ft of any other dye plant. What that means is that you can (probably!) remove the glass from the farm and add more tiers, increasing efficiency. I already have 14+ of every dye, so I won't be doing that.

@Blaine this design is inspired, its awesome so say the least, just a couple design improvements I feel could be made (please note: this is constructice criticism, your design is brilliant, im just voicing an opinion here)

1) Why not run your wires straight from one side to the other? why did you put your wiring all along the edges?
2) Possibly add a universal shut off (ie: a third wire running through all the actuators not connected to a timer) so you can actuate all the blocks for a final harvest before you go do other stuff
3) Add a simple dart trap on every level (possibly connected to the shut off switch?) to harvest all the blinkroot that grows
4) Since dye and strange plant checks are now done independantly why not add a couple layers of jungle grass for bait collection

just my 2 cents worth here, let me know what you think?

@Blaine this design is inspired, its awesome so say the least, just a couple design improvements I feel could be made (please note: this is constructice criticism, your design is brilliant, im just voicing an opinion here)

1) Why not run your wires straight from one side to the other? why did you put your wiring all along the edges?
2) Possibly add a universal shut off (ie: a third wire running through all the actuators not connected to a timer) so you can actuate all the blocks for a final harvest before you go do other stuff
3) Add a simple dart trap on every level (possibly connected to the shut off switch?) to harvest all the blinkroot that grows
4) Since dye and strange plant checks are now done independantly why not add a couple layers of jungle grass for bait collection

just my 2 cents worth here, let me know what you think?
I will just answer question 4.
That will be a very bad bait farm, there are other farms for bait, and i don't think that that's needed.

sure there are other bait farms, but why go out of your way to make one when you can just modify this one and still get a good result

Back
Top Bottom