1.3 Strange Plant Auto-Farm: It Works!

Hrm... I was just testing this in a regular world (just c+p it with TEdit to a new world to see if it would work if I built it in my actual world) and it wasn't working. So I went around finding all of the other plants that might "interrupt" the spawns or something and then I left it while I watched an episode of Graceland. So when it still wasn't working I tried it on your original world and... nothing. Not a thing. I'm just wondering if this was patched or something. I was using an Offline server so that I could tab out and watch Netflix but if that's the case then I guess I made a new discovery: Strange Plants don't grow on empty servers (or ones with just me, at least.)

It's been known since before I built my farm that Strange Plants behave oddly on servers of any kind, often requiring a restart in order to "refresh" themselves. No one's quite sure just what the issue is. I should have mentioned that in my guide, and will add it to the OP. It's important to use single-player mode.

There is a way to force Terraria to run in the background during single-player mode. First, set the game to windowed mode; then, instead of ALT-tabbing or clicking on another window to change focus, click the taskbar icon three times (for some reason, the first try won't stick) in order to minimize the game.

e578052ff9.png

EDIT: Also, couldn't you just delete the whole teleporter bird engine thing and replace it with minecart rail with bumpers on the end? I feel like that would be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier. I'm just checking with somebody here first, in case it messes something up by deleting it.

Yes, you can probably replace it with minecart rails. I designed the recursive teleporter array (fancy name, isn't it?) in 1.1, before rails and minecarts were added to the game (that was in 1.2). I've actually never even laid a single minecart track, though I've used the ones underground.

Ok, sounds good!

I also fixed the problem and I tested it on an offline server and it worked. It's in the second edit of my original post (I just deleted the blocks under the dirt).

First and foremost, I want to stress that a friend and I did all of this by hand: The map was cleared with Snowman Cannons, all of the materials used in building the farm were gathered by us, and every block, actuator, and wire was placed manually. It was a long and tedious process, but the rewards have been well worth it. The farm yields 10-15 Strange Plants per hour, and still works well as of 1.3.0.4.

Do you want to have a Strange Plant dye storage chest like this one?

17700cc008.png

Of course you do!

I'll be using a map viewer (experimental release of TEdit) in order to show you the farm's layout. Firstly, my friend and I created a new Small world and cleared out an approximately 1600ft x 750ft area with Snowman Cannons, starting from 0 height, due to the fact that Strange Plants cannot spawn within 700ft of any other dye plant or Strange Plant. (This may have changed since 1.3.0.4; we built the farm the day before the patch).

Note that we had originally planned to make the farm twice as tall as shown, but that would have been almost twice as much work, and it yields plenty of dye anyway. As of 1.3.0.4, you may not need to dig as far as we did, but if you want to be sure....

This is the farm in macro showing the area that we cleared:
eb3a06b186.png

So, what is the farm, exactly? It's 204ft wide, including the glass side walls. Most of it is 47 tiers of empty air, dirt, and glass. The first layer of dirt is at the "Level Surface" height on a Depth Meter, and very close to the center of the world horizontally. The last layer of dirt ends just before "Space" begins on a Depth Meter. You need three blocks of air for the Strange Plants to spawn, a layer of dirt for them to spawn on of course, and glass beneath just in case Orange Bloodroots might spawn and reduce the farm's efficiency.

In this screenshot you can see the basic form of the farm, as well as the ceiling we added above the 47th tier. The empty shaft in the middle is for maintenance purposes, but otherwise serves no purpose and you can feel free to fill it in:
94860af698.png

But that's all just dirt and air. What makes the farm tick are two wiring devices that I designed (although, I doubt I'm the first to do so).

Here's the bottom of the farm:
fdd09171f4.png

That group of switches on the far bottom-left is a pair of 10-second timer arrays, and they're the most important part of the farm. 10-second timer arrays are made by wiring one 5-second timer and two 3-second timers together in a certain way, such that the final 3-second timer activates once every 10 seconds. With a pair of 10-second timer arrays wired to actuated blocks with two different colors of wire, you can automatically set the timers to "pulse" actuated blocks off and on occasionally by clicking each of the 5-second timers. If you click the 5-second timers half a second apart, the wired blocks will be solid for 9.5 seconds, and unsolid for .5 seconds, every ten seconds, harvesting Strange Plants and allowing them to drop down.

This is important, because the dirt needs to be solid most of the time in order to give Strange Plants plenty of time to spawn. However, we don't want the Strange Plants to just sit there preventing more Strange Plants from spawning, so we need to harvest them every ten seconds. We also need them to drop down to us.

Here's the wiring. Just copy what I've done if you don't understand it:
ff60462a3c.png

All of the dirt and glass blocks—except for the glass sides, ceiling, and floor—must be wired with blue wire, red wire, and actuators.

You may have noticed all those timers and teleporters at the bottom, underneath the farm. They automatically move your character west and easy endlessly, so that you can collect Strange Plants automatically if you wish, while AFK. This is fairly optional, since you shouldn't surpass 400 loot entities unless you leave the farm running for a very long time.

This is the wiring, and note that you must use 3-second timers. They're what makes it work properly.
a944cc15db.png

Flick the switch to spawn a bird from the statue, which hits all those pressure plates in succession, activating the timers for the teleporter array. The dart trap at the end kills it, or you can be nice and leave that block open so that the bird can escape. You then simply step onto the first teleporter, and you'll move back and forth endlessly.

The solid glass will keep pirate invasions out of the teleporter corridor, if in Hardmode. At night, Wraiths will kill you if you don't use summons or wear higher-tier armor that damages enemies, although even if you die, chances are you can just walk over and pick up the Strange Plants that have accumulated. I imagine Solar Eclipses will also kill you regardless of summons or armor, but again, it doesn't really matter.

Final summary: Once the farm is built, flick the switch to activate the bird statue, which activates the teleporters. Then, press the two 5-second timers half a second apart in order to start the farm pulsing off and on. Then step onto the first teleporter, and enjoy your dyes! World file download is attached to this post, creatively named "World 8."

Video of the farm in action:

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Strange Plants behave oddly on servers of any kind, often requiring a restart in order to "refresh" themselves. No one's quite sure just what the issue is. It's important to use single-player mode if you intend to farm AFK.

There is a way to force Terraria to run in the background during single-player mode. First, set the game to windowed mode; then, instead of ALT-tabbing or clicking on another window to change focus, click the taskbar icon three times (for some reason, the first try won't stick) in order to minimize the game.

e578052ff9.png
Could've used minecarts instead of teleporters ;)

I know, im abit late, but couldnt you just 1. Let the strange plants fall 2. Have a hoiking system setup at the bottom that way you dont even have to move (its working so far for me)

I know, im abit late, but couldnt you just 1. Let the strange plants fall 2. Have a hoiking system setup at the bottom that way you dont even have to move (its working so far for me)

The problem with this type of setup is the masses of other materials picked for a generally small amount of profit.

The problem with this type of setup is the masses of other materials picked for a generally small amount of profit.
well think about in 2 terms: effort and money (or gathering of resources). [MONEY]Mine cart track is free (found under ground) while teleporters, wrenches, and wires are not....yes wire is found underground too but you still have to have wire cutters, which cost money btw [EFFORT] minecart process:lay track down hammer the ends and right click done. Teleporter process: setup timers or mob battery then figure out all the wiring then check if it works then (most probably redo half the wiring you just did), and if you finaly get it working, then you gotta fiddle with it to make it JUST right

so i got to say minecart is the more efficient way to go....although teleporters as he has them are definitely a valid way to do it. Im not trying to bash anyones ideas im just speaking from years of experience being lazy in terraria lol

It's been known since before I built my farm that Strange Plants behave oddly on servers of any kind, often requiring a restart in order to "refresh" themselves. No one's quite sure just what the issue is. I should have mentioned that in my guide, and will add it to the OP. It's important to use single-player mode.

Sorry about the late reply, this effect happens because when you join a server the game loads plants and then makes the act like normal blocks - they will not grow and new ones won't spawn.

How high up can I make this farm? If I toggle the actuated blocks and they are up in space and I am at 0 above, will the plant's drop disappear?

I've just built one, using a Drill Containment Unit. It was quite slow, but I guess digging all that terrain using the Snowman Cannon would have been quite expensive, so I'm not going to complain.

Something that surprised me, though, was that I was able to break a demonic altar even though the world wasn't in hardmode. While breaking every block on sight, I accidentally hit the altar from above and it hurted me as expected. However, some time later, I hit the blocks underneath the altar and the altar got completely destroyed. It must have been a glitch, but hey, I didn't trigger it on purpose.

My farm has room for growing of bloodroots since I don't actually care whether they grow or not (I would actually like to see some bloodroot growing there). However, I haven't seen any bloodroot growing there. I suppose it's because they only grow in the underground layer and below, and most of my farm is placed on the surface layer. On the other hand, I'm seeing quite a lot of blinkroot growing there, to the point I'm considering building a device with dart traps as people suggested.

Regarding the suggestion about adding a switch to turn it off completely: definitely needed. If the timers are started when the blocks are active, the farm works completely fine. However, it's a pain to make it work if, for any reason, the blocks get stuck in inactive mode (it happened to me when leaving and re-entering the world with the timers still on). Besides, I found wiring the blocks didn't take much time, even when using two wires. I guess it won't be a problem to add some yellow wire and connect it to a switch.

Last edited:
The farm requires so much gold to make, but I guess it's a simple afk session with my Lucky Coin, and just use Discount Card while buying Actuators, Grand Design would really help me with this, although I need to go farm up a Snowman Cannon now

Really useful and can be turned into a blinkroot farm. It is a bit expensive though for all that wire, timers and actuators.

I completed my collection (had literally every item in the game as of late 2015, except for pre-order pets), so I stopped playing Terraria for a while. It's been over three years.

I have a newer PC now, and I realized when I started playing again last week that I never salvaged my old Terraria saves from my old PC, nor enabled cloud saving. This Strange Plant farm is all I have left of the old days, because it's attached to the OP!

It's good that I'm forced to start Terraria all over again, but I regret losing some original worlds from v1.0, the week Terraria first released on Steam.

Back
Top Bottom