• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • 1.4 will bring many changes to the PC version. We strongly advise making plans to back up your worlds and players prior to updating your game. More details here.
  • Begin your search for Journey's End information here and here. Please report bugs and issues for Journey's End here.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.4 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

Standalone [1.3] tModLoader - A Modding API

Lukas04

Official Terrarian
I've heard that the current version of tModLoader is incompatible with 1.3.1 (which makes sense). When can we expect an update? (I know, I know, people hate it when others ask "omg when ya gonna be done," but... well... a status update would be nice, maybe?)
Also, when that update comes out, will tModLoader mods be required to update as well?

Finally, one more question: I happen to be an OSX user and do not have access to a Windows machine. Is there a way for me to look into Terraria modding without the use of Windows-only applications?
Tmodloader is already Updated to 1.3.1

The Modding Team of Tmodloader trys to make Mac and Linux Working for Tmodloader

Oh, it is? Great! I suppose I"m a little out of the loop then, lol.
Actually, when I asked about terraria modding in OSX, I wasn't really talking about building tModLoader mods (since those are just C#, and there's a mono IDE that can build C# (though of course, it would be nice if building from Terraria menu worked)). I was thinking more along the lines of getting a hold of some actual documentation of stuff that we can do. There's the modding API available on GitHub, but it doesn't provide enough information for someone without access to the Terraria source code (which would be required for someone trying to make a standalone mod, or attempt to help with tModLoader development). Currently, the only way I've seen of getting the Terraria source is through a program called ILSpy, which is so 100% windows only that not even Mono can run it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot something: when are we going to get support for custom dyes?! Seriously, it's been THIS long and we still can't make dyes?? I have this awesome mod idea that would let you mix your own dyes and tamper with shader effects or whatnot in-game (for instance, Rainbow Hades Dye, or Shifting Flame Dye, or [HEXADECIMAL] Dye)

... then, of course, I think about all the GUI elements that would be required, which is also something not supported by tModLoader, and lose all hope...

Last edited:

Zero-Exodus

Pixel Pirate
Actually, when I asked about terraria modding in OSX, I wasn't really talking about building tModLoader mods (since those are just C#, and there's a mono IDE that can build C# (though of course, it would be nice if building from Terraria menu worked)). I was thinking more along the lines of getting a hold of some actual documentation of stuff that we can do. There's the modding API available on GitHub, but it doesn't provide enough information for someone without access to the Terraria source code (which would be required for someone trying to make a standalone mod, or attempt to help with tModLoader development). Currently, the only way I've seen of getting the Terraria source is through a program called ILSpy, which is so 100% windows only that not even Mono can run it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot something: when are we going to get support for custom dyes?! Seriously, it's been THIS long and we still can't make dyes?? I have this awesome mod idea that would let you mix your own dyes and tamper with shader effects or whatnot in-game (for instance, Rainbow Hades Dye, or Shifting Flame Dye, or [HEXADECIMAL] Dye)

... then, of course, I think about all the GUI elements that would be required, which is also something not supported by tModLoader, and lose all hope...
focus on the things you CAN create, of which, there is many.

wanna do something simple? make a nice shiny weapon pack with a few good NPCs who randomly spawn anywhere that help you combat the increased spawn rate your mod provides.

wanna do something complex? make a new mount that push and pull custom npc boxes that fit into custom tiles which activate events which causes the whole world to change in ways such as spawning a new dungeon tower with an epic treasure atop, or making a previously invulnerable boss suddenly able to take damage.

sure these aren't THAT idea that brought you here, but there is so much you already can do with tmodloader... so do what you can with it, and maybe eventually down the road, support for those very specific features will become available

for things you do want to do and dont yet know how, dont hesitate to ask the community, there are many who are ready and willing to help

focus on the things you CAN create, of which, there is many.

wanna do something simple? make a nice shiny weapon pack with a few good NPCs who randomly spawn anywhere that help you combat the increased spawn rate your mod provides.

wanna do something complex? make a new mount that push and pull custom npc boxes that fit into custom tiles which activate events which causes the whole world to change in ways such as spawning a new dungeon tower with an epic treasure atop, or making a previously invulnerable boss suddenly able to take damage.

sure these aren't THAT idea that brought you here, but there is so much you already can do with tmodloader... so do what you can with it, and maybe eventually down the road, support for those very specific features will become available

for things you do want to do and dont yet know how, dont hesitate to ask the community, there are many who are ready and willing to help
Sadly, I'm not a great artist / creative person in that regard, lol. Interesting idea with the boxes, though it sounds much more like an adventure map tool (block puzzles lol), and generating structures in-world can be dangerous (can wreck player constructions, etc.).

I can code things pretty well, but I'd need someone else to lead the project / provide ideas / make art / etc..

blushiemagic

Retinazer
tModLoader
Hey could the problem with the Mac be that you are looking for terraria.exe when macs don't use .exe?
If that were actually a problem, then not only would all previous Mac versions not have worked, but also vanilla Terraria wouldn't work on Mac either.

Trying to run Terraria after a manual install, with the GOG version, and this pops up: https://gyazo.com/88c073dd757a7f8f9d81f6098120ba8f

It worked with 1.3.0.8.
Huh, to be honest I'm not sure how you got it to work earlier. Until someone with the GoG version decides to help us, there is no GoG support.

Unfortunately, due to how messy the Terraria code can be, it would be too much effort to document it. Hm... you're right, people using Macs are in a pretty tough spot in that regard.
The main reason custom dyes aren't possible yet is that there's many larger features that we still need to add (finish biome support, tile entity support, etc). I did teach myself how XNA effects work a month ago though, so custom dyes will be possible sometime in the future.

Zero-Exodus

Pixel Pirate
Sadly, I'm not a great artist / creative person in that regard, lol. Interesting idea with the boxes, though it sounds much more like an adventure map tool (block puzzles lol), and generating structures in-world can be dangerous (can wreck player constructions, etc.).

I can code things pretty well, but I'd need someone else to lead the project / provide ideas / make art / etc..
take a look around the forum, coders are in demand, there is alot of people out there with grand ideas but little coding experience. also this thread usually has a good number of questions in need of answers, if u got a wealth of knowledge, feel free to spread it, nobodys gonna hate lol

the art department, yeah it can be challenging, but you can do as bluemagic123 did with examplemod and keep it simple, i actually like how his ExamplePerson looks lol. also, there are artists out there waiting for a good coder.

and yeah those were adventure map ideas, i love level design XD, also 1.3.1. really compliments adventure maps, so why not?
[doublepost=1464641340,1464641078][/doublepost]
Would someone be so kind as to give me the Ai number of the Bat AI? Thanks :)

Yuyutsu

Dungeon Spirit
take a look around the forum, coders are in demand, there is alot of people out there with grand ideas but little coding experience. also this thread usually has a good number of questions in need of answers, if u got a wealth of knowledge, feel free to spread it, nobodys gonna hate lol

the art department, yeah it can be challenging, but you can do as bluemagic123 did with examplemod and keep it simple, i actually like how his ExamplePerson looks lol. also, there are artists out there waiting for a good coder.

and yeah those were adventure map ideas, i love level design XD, also 1.3.1. really compliments adventure maps, so why not?
[doublepost=1464641340,1464641078][/doublepost]
Thanks! Is there any list in which I can view all of em? I tried the Vanilla NPC Ids but that didn't work.

jokekid

Terrarian
i'd like to suggest a small change to the OP, i feel like next to the mod's version, you should state for what version of terraria it is, specially because we can expect a hotfix update soon, and 1.3.2 later after that, and needing to search through the replies to check the mod's game version shouldn't be necesary ;)

blushiemagic

Retinazer
tModLoader
Some news: the Mac and Linux versions have been updated to v0.8.1! They will now work with Terraria v1.3.1.

That was... way easier than I was expecting. I probably should have tried it earlier. Oh well.

i'd like to suggest a small change to the OP, i feel like next to the mod's version, you should state for what version of terraria it is, specially because we can expect a hotfix update soon, and 1.3.2 later after that, and needing to search through the replies to check the mod's game version shouldn't be necesary ;)
That's a good idea, I'll get to that right away.

max19e

Terrarian
Some news: the Mac and Linux versions have been updated to v0.8.1! They will now work with Terraria v1.3.1.

That was... way easier than I was expecting. I probably should have tried it earlier. Oh well.

That's a good idea, I'll get to that right away.
Does this mean you're planning on working on the multiplayer mob, boss bug next?

gotest

Terrarian
Is it possible to use a Pixel Shader effect through tModLoader, like a .fx file?
I have a standalone mod that I want to attempt to port over that uses it.

Jeckel

Terrarian
Huh, to be honest I'm not sure how you got it to work earlier. Until someone with the GoG version decides to help us, there is no GoG support.
I have the GOG version of Terraria and quite a bit of experience with C#, though no real experience with modding Terraria besides some looking around in the decompiled source. Where would I start to figuring out what needs to be done to get this working with the GOG version?

blushiemagic

Retinazer
tModLoader
Is it possible to use a Pixel Shader effect through tModLoader, like a .fx file?
I have a standalone mod that I want to attempt to port over that uses it.
That will be possible sometime in the future, probably after biome support is finished.

I have the GOG version of Terraria and quite a bit of experience with C#, though no real experience with modding Terraria besides some looking around in the decompiled source. Where would I start to figuring out what needs to be done to get this working with the GOG version?
First you'll need to get one of the versions from the Github: https://github.com/bluemagic123/tModLoader/releases
Then you'll need to run setup.bat, then click on the Setup button (which just runs Decompile, Patch Merged, Patch Terraria, and Patch tModLoader buttons for you). Hopefully there won't be any errors, but if there are then that's where programming knowledge comes in, for manually applying the bad patches. Your computer might block a bunch of dll files and ILSpy.exe for being downloaded from the Internet, so you might need to unblock them for everything to work properly (specifically in the setup/lib folder).
After all that is done, you should be able to open solutions/tModLoader.sln then compile WindowsRelease and WindowsServerRelease. Then you'll need to use bsdiff to create a patch file between the vanilla Terraria and tModLoader, then this patch file can be distributed (similar to how tModLoader was distributed when it was first released). This way we can distribute tModLoader even without the steam checks given that the people already the GoG version. The reason we haven't been able to do this yet is that none of us have the GoG version to decompile, and especially because none of us have the vanilla GoG version to create the patch file from.

Top Bottom