Standalone [1.3] tModLoader - A Modding API

No... I was talking about the announcement on steam that tModLoader was going to be available as DLC. And how it's not available as DLC. And it's causing confusion on the Steam Forums. And how the only people who know what's going on are the people who aren't daunted by hundreds of pages worth of comments to sort through.

I would've thought that was exceedingly obvious since I directly brought up the part about it being provided as dlc... but I guess I assumed to much.

Let me just catch my breath here and calm down... okay:

Hey, developers of tModLoader...

Do you know that Re-Logic announced "We are just shy of three weeks out from the highly-anticipated release of Terraria: Journey's End, and we know that as the anticipation builds, so will the excitement! Well, allow us to add more fuel to that fire with the official announcement that the long-standing "Terraria mod to make and play mods", tModLoader will be coming to Steam on May 16th as a free DLC for Terraria alongside Journey's End!"?

Well, a lot of people are very confused as to why tModLoader isn't available as free DLC.

I know it's available as a mod program in Steam... that you have to go look for because Terraria has no link to the program. In fact, I only know this program because I searched the forums... for an hour. But there are a lot of people in the Terraria community who are still asking very basic questions in the forums for those announcements because those comment threads have over 100 pages and it's somewhat hard to tell where useful information is going to be among all the usual forum-ing.

Additionally, since the version of tModLoader you are providing is for 1.3.5.3... but Steam has just replaced our Terraria with 1.4.0.3... a lot of people are assuming that the tModLoader you can get from Steam can't work right now. Because Steam is notorious for not letting people play old versions of any games (at least without some measure of jiggery pokery). In fact, I was under that assumption as well. Until yesterday. When I read it somewhere deep into a forum post.

I can explain the situation over and over and over on the forums but it will be inevitably buried by nonsense. So please, if you can, contact Re-Logic and have them post another announcement explaining the situation. Thank you.
I understand your frustration and where it is coming from. Let me explain. Initially, TML was actually supposed to launch as an ACTUAL DLC for Terraria as was announced. However, due to technical hurdles, we decided it was better to launch as an app. Everything was converted at very short notice without being followed by any announcement. Though on the technical side in Steam we are actually still 'connected' to Terraria as a DLC, it just doesn't display as such. People took the word DLC very literally. Being a separate app comes with many bonuses, such as being able to play both vanilla and modded without reinstalling for example.

Now I know theres no release date for 1.4 tmodloader, so I wonder if I should try a 1.3.5.3 tmodloader playthrough now or hold off until 1.4 eventually comes.
Just want to do something in Terraria during times I can't coop 1.4 with my friend.

EDIT: Welp the fact it's 32-bit answers my question, wait... Or rather never touch tmodloader again. I know there's a 64-bit version, but it's a mega link, mega is cancer to me, no thanks.

Last edited:
Now I know theres no release date for 1.4 tmodloader, so I wonder if I should try a 1.3.5.3 tmodloader playthrough now or hold off until 1.4 eventually comes.
Just want to do something in Terraria during times I can't coop 1.4 with my friend.

EDIT: Welp the fact it's 32-bit answers my question, wait... Or rather never touch tmodloader again. I know there's a 64-bit version, but it's a mega link, mega is cancer to me, no thanks.

Wouldn't advise it, given the changes they did to 1.4, I expect many mods will break once tmodloader updates to 1.4. So you have to take this into account it may be a few months for TModLoader to update first, the minor cosmetic mods may work with a few patches, while the big ones (Calamity, Thorium), will have to go through extensive rigorous updates to be remotely compatible with 1.4 functionality. To make matters worse, this time scales now even further so. You can expect the best mods to be updated maybe within 6 months time? The bigger the mod is, the more work has to be put into converting it over. Right now mods are not gonna get updated since they don't have a TModLoader that runs on 1.4 yet.

Look at how long the vanilla game took to release it, you can probably take a fraction of that for all this to be updated in due time. But right now, there should be plenty of time to just focus on playing vanilla and 1.3.5.3 tmodloader while we wait.

64 Bit? Never gonna happen, this game was built on a 32 bit, I can't see it doing more without rewriting it to allow more cores/ram and better performances.

64 Bit? Never gonna happen, this game was built on a 32 bit, I can't see it doing more without rewriting it to allow more cores/ram and better performances.
This isn't true. 64 bit has already been a thing as a third party version of tmodloader for a while, and the main tmodloader devs have said they plan to look into integrating this after they've updated to 1.4.

Hey guys, haven't played terraria for some time.. I see 1.4 came out. Also I see tmodloader on steam. I have a few questions, could anyone help me please?
Who develop tmodloader now? Re-Logic or modders?
Tmodloader 1.4 hasnt been created yet, right? So I can't play with tmodloader 1.3.5 and terraria 1.4 with mods.
When tmodloader 1.4 comes out, will it be with "limited" memory? By that I mean I won't be able to play with big amount of mods. I hope it won't have any limits.
Thanks.

Hey guys, haven't played terraria for some time.. I see 1.4 came out. Also I see tmodloader on steam. I have a few questions, could anyone help me please?
Who develop tmodloader now? Re-Logic or modders?
Tmodloader 1.4 hasnt been created yet, right? So I can't play with tmodloader 1.3.5 and terraria 1.4 with mods.
When tmodloader 1.4 comes out, will it be with "limited" memory? By that I mean I won't be able to play with big amount of mods. I hope it won't have any limits.
Thanks.
You can only play 1.3.5 right now on tmodloader.
It'll likely just be like normal except Terraria will have a lot of new things

Y'all gotta remember that Blushie has to reverse engineer Terraria 1.4 - u-

Please, wait warmly.
Unpacking the client with regular debuggers isn't hard. Fixing the errors neither.
The time where the client itself gets settled without any further updates (e.g. last hotfix at v1.4.0.5), that is the thing modders and programmers are waiting for.
No one willing to go through that tedious process of readjusting hundreds of offsets, opcodes and declarations, if the next patch inserts a simple addition in the beginning, in the middle and the end of the entire assembly code line which pushes borders far away from known spots.

Back
Top Bottom