PC 1.3: Which Item is Now the Rarest?

It took me 3 days of AFK grinding to get one. #lmao
Not sure if I'd put it above Tim's banner with how many I had spawning in the deep underground jungle. Its spawn rate might and might not be affected by expert mode however. The difference here is you'll either get RoD after your 10th kill or after your 1000th, while the banners are always given after a set number.

True, but with the banners, RNG still makes them rare. Its finding 50 of that mob thats hard.

RNG is RNG. I've come across something like five Nazars (the second cursed skull I killed dropped one). The second paladin I killed dropped his hammer. It took me only seven pirate invasions to complete a greedy ring.

On the other hand, I'm in a Crimson world and I've killed over 650 dark mummies with no blindfolds in sight (half a dozen megaphones though).

EDIT: It took just over 700 dark mummies to get a blindfold. C'est la vie.

Last edited:

Oh yes, I completely agree. This thing is the most time consuming weapon to find, unless you're really lucky. Probably for good reason, too - the animation is awesome. You can't grind for it, it can only be found, and not in chests, either.

Arkhalis was the first thing I found on my first new 1.3 world on my first new character. I didn't even find a surface chest beforehand. I wondered why a hole from heaven went through the branch of a living tree and into the ground; followed it down into a kidney bean cave.

It basically trivialised pre-Hardmode all on its own. It's a beast of a weapon.

Arkhalis was the first thing I found on my first new 1.3 world on my first new character. I didn't even find a surface chest beforehand. I wondered why a hole from heaven went through the branch of a living tree and into the ground; followed it down into a kidney bean cave.

It basically trivialised pre-Hardmode all on its own. It's a beast of a weapon.

Very nice, you're quite lucky. I think the shrine you found has a 10% chance to be Arkhalis, or 90% chance to be the Enchanted Sword. Even then, I think that's pretty ridiculous considering a medium world spawns with 3 of those shrines. I still haven't found one yet, oddly.

I find it difficult simply because you can't actually grind for it, you just have to sort of "get lucky". All RNG I suppose.

There is approximately a 64% chance that you will get a Banner after killing a Tim 50 times with a 1/50 chance each.
There is approximately a 100% chance that you will get a Banner after killing a Tim 50 times with the new system.

Originally this copypasta was made for Nymphs. But Tim is equally as rare as the last patch and the banner existed in the last patch as well (according to the wiki). There's no reason it should become more rare when, in fact, Tim/Rune Wizard/Nymph banners were made easier to get with 1.3.

There is approximately a 64% chance that you will get a Banner after killing a Tim 50 times with a 1/50 chance each.
There is approximately a 100% chance that you will get a Banner after killing a Tim 50 times with the new system.

Originally this copypasta was made for Nymphs. But Tim is equally as rare as the last patch and the banner existed in the last patch as well (according to the wiki). There's no reason it should become more rare when, in fact, Tim/Rune Wizard/Nymph banners were made easier to get with 1.3.

Tim didn't have a banner in te updates pre-1.3

nobody's mentioned slime staff?
i know slimes are super common but, like, it's a 0.01% drop chance
Given that slimes spawn literally as soon as you spawn into a new world it's ability to be obtained is much easier as you can kill hundreds of slimes were as something like a rod of discord is harder because the enemy, Chaos Elementals don't spawn as much in the UG hallow as the slimes do in the normal above ground biome.

I'd probably guess that Nymph Banners are pretty close.

Good luck ever finding 50 nymphs in a single world.

If not that, then maybe Arkhalis and the Rod of Discord are pretty high on the rare list. I have still yet to find an Arkhalis in like 7 playthroughs since 1.3, the few times I get a "real" shrine it's always an Enchanted Sword.

It took me 3 days of AFK grinding to get one. #lmao
Not sure if I'd put it above Tim's banner with how many I had spawning in the deep underground jungle. Its spawn rate might and might not be affected by expert mode however. The difference here is you'll either get RoD after your 10th kill or after your 1000th, while the banners are always given after a set number.
in a multiplayer run with me, @caneurysmFever and @Magic Sponge we got 3 rods of discord and 1 coin gun within a pretty short amount of time, by accident. i think that even though your guaranteed to get a banner after the 50th kill of a certain enemy, they can be much rarer than a drop from a common enemy.
i only get the rune set once every 3-4 runs, so i think the rune mage or nymph banner are the rarest.

- Nymph Banner
- Rod Of Discord (honestly, I got it only once during almost 2 years)
- Coin Gun (even if I got it like three times)
- Arkhalis maybe
I'd also say, the Lucky Coin is extremely rare in my worlds. Come on, I got a RoD, a Slime Staff, three Coin Guns, several Discount Cards, an Arkhalis and STILL I couldn't get a Lucky Coin, even if I grinded lots of Pirate Invasions. It should be renamed to Unlucky Coin.

For me the rarest item is a block. The coralstone block. I almost have 1400 hours on Terraria and after hundreds of angler's quests I only have 271 of them.

For me (since I’m mostly mobile) the RoD is the rarest item. I’ve come across a few Tims and Rune wizards (look near underworld in underground jungle). Also, when I got a coin gun, I thought it sucked, so I sold it.

Back
Top Bottom