Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Since the latest hotfix 1.4.0.4 I have been having consistent stutters when I initially start/join a world, open chests for the first time, use weapons for the first time, and load new areas in. I think it has something to do with memory and how 1.4.0.4 supposedly fixed "memory management issues" but my game was running fine before the patch. Its like the game doesn't pre-load items and chunks which causes it to stutter when I load them in, but afterwards it works fine until I restart the world/game . If anyone else is having this problem and or has a solution please let me know.

Similarly, I've noticed some random FPS stutters since updating to this patch. Not sure what's changed, but loading into a world takes longer and opening chests or interacting with furniture seems to cause a slight lag-spike. Hopefully this will be fixed in a later patch

I've noticed an increase in framerate issues as well compared to previous versions, which always ran completely consistently for me. I don't get stutters when using weapons or opening chests for the first time, but I do get seemingly random stutters for no obvious reason at all. And much more rarely, again with no clear cause or consistent reason, the game really lurches hard for about two seconds or so, to the point where I briefly fear it's about to crash or something, but then recovers. And on top of all that, despite getting a framerate that's consistently at least 120 and usually higher, the game never seems to move nearly as smoothly as it should. I've had 60 fps games scroll more smoothly than Terraria does at far higher framerates. Terraria never seemed to manage whatever magic makes games look maximum buttery smooth in earlier updates, but it's even less so now. Sometimes locking the framerate helps with these things, but if Terraria has such an option I can't find it.

Registered an account here just to chime in. I am also experiencing lag spikes/framerate drops in the same situations as you guys. For me, it seems to get stuck the hardest while traversing my map. It reminds me of how Minecraft lags when you load a chunk for the first time on a new map. It's super jarring and kinda has me turned away from Terraria for now with how frequently it does this.

My setup is the same as OP's.

i am too having a very bad experience with this new update..... constant stutters, high refresh rate makes the game run even worse upsets me cause i payed good money on my PC, hoping there is a solution to this problem, i'm having to change to refresh rate to 60hz to get a somewhat a smooth experience but even then it still stutters

Made an account to let you guys know that I fixed this issue by putting the option "Frame Skip" to "Off".

Hopes this helps.

Made an account to let you guys know that I fixed this issue by putting the option "Frame Skip" to "Off".

Hopes this helps.

I appreciate taking the time to post this, but personally I've tried all the frame skip options with no luck. There are slight variations, but none result in the level of smoothness I could play at before this update.

With that being said though, I did recently have an opportunity to watch a family member play some Terraria at his house on a significantly less powerful PC than mine, and noticed that it did run perfectly buttery smooth for him. So I'm starting to think this is one of those gaming situations where some very specific aspect of particular systems just isn't playing well with the game, and if so, the standard user settings may very well be irrelevant. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd imagine Terraria might not like gsync/freesync, which wasn't incorporated into that other PC. It wouldn't be the first older game I've encountered that, for whatever reason, just can't perform entirely right with newer tech regardless of system specs well beyond what should be necessary. Terraria is running on an engine that was initially created about eleven years ago, after all.

Terraria changed to an on-demand loading system in 1.4. Tiles, chest contents, NPCs, etc. are all loaded when the world actually needs them. That's what the memory management refers to - it reduces the memory footprint by not holding in-memory things that aren't needed.
This does unfortunately result in some stuttering. I see a similar thing opening a chest or transitioning biomes. I find that Trippy or Retro lighting helps.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what can be done, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom