Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Multi
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I updated my 1.4.0.4 server to 1.4.0.5 and the server is no longer asking for the password.

To double check it wasn't now remembering passwords, I got someone who had never joined before to try it, and they got straight in with just the ip & port.

update:

So the issue appears to be one of the server not reading some parameters in the config, not just the password. As a workaround for the time being you can either manually set the password in the console window after launch with the 'password' command, or on the command line to the server executable with '-pass mypassword'. You can also use the command line to set the max players limit with '-maxplayers n'.

If you are trying to use the config to generate a world, then for now you will need to generate the wld file using the game client or the server console prompts when it is launched with no attached config.

Last edited:
Just checked on my server and it still required a password.

Are you guys running Dedicated Servers, or Host and Play?

Same issue here, on 64-bit linux dedicated server. It's not loading the password from serverconfig.txt, but it does enforce a password if I set it through the server console.

MOTD is loading correctly from serverconfig.txt, not sure why password isn't.

same password issue here using a dedicated server 1.4.0.5 - was working 1.4.0.4 and prior.

linux in a docker container

Last edited:
serverconfig.txt:
priority=1
world=/config/org.wld
worldname=outz
worldpath=/config
password=pee
lang=1
npcstream=15

Attachments

• serverconfig.txt
    99 bytes · Views: 165
Last edited:
Just tried it by creating a new world on my client PC and copying the world file over to setup a new server with a similar config, and get the same password issue with this config :

world=C:\Games\terraria-server\worlds\Test.wld
maxplayers=8
port=5555
password=mypass
motd=Welcome to the ........ Terraria 1.4 Server!
worldpath=C:\Games\terraria-server\Worlds\
priority=1

I also tried setting up a config so it would create a new world on the server. I tested the following with 1.4.0.4 and it works fine, but I get an error when using the 1.4.0.5 binary to create the world :

world=C:\Games\terraria-server\worlds\Test.wld
maxplayers=8
port=5555
password=mypass
motd=Welcome to the ........ Terraria 1.4 Server!
worldpath=C:\Games\terraria-server\Worlds\
priority=1
autocreate=1
seed=2321321312
worldname=test
difficulty=1

The error is :

Server crash: 6/4/2020 11:59:05 PM
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Terraria.Main.WriteFancyWorldLoadErrorToConsole()
at Terraria.Main.DedServ()
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)

Confirmed I have the same issue with upgrading dedicated server from 1.4.0.4 to 1.4.0.5 not requiring a password.

Workaround is to use the password <your password> console command after launching the server.

Same issue here. Upgraded Linux 1404 dedicated server to 1405. There was no change in the config file and now the 1405 server does not apply a password at launch. Currently applying password manually after the server has started.

As others have mentioned I think this is more a general issue of the server not reading the config file correctly, based on the issue I also had with world gen failing using a config file, I also noticed that maxplayers is not getting set from the config file setting either, and is defaulting to 255.

Yea, I have the exact same issue (Dedicated Linux server).
It is the config that is not read for some reason, as the MOTD is the default one.
And it should not be a naming issue, as the file was copied from my 1.4.0.4 server directly over to the new 1.4.0.5 server.

Just out of curiosity, all of you who have a "broken" server config file, did your passwords contain a dot '.' anywhere by any chance?

It is the config that is not read for some reason, as the MOTD is the default one.
Interesting, in my case the MOTD is loaded correctly. I was playing around trying to see if maybe the config reading was tripping on a specific parameter. I did try sticking the password as the first entry, but it didn't seem to change anything. You can see the order of my config file in my post earlier in this thread.

Just out of curiosity, all of you who have a "broken" server config file, did your passwords contain a dot '.' anywhere by any chance?
Nope, my server password does not have a period symbol.

Same issue here. The whole serverconfig.txt is not being read properly. I'm having to use all the commands via the actual command line switches in the startup .bat file.

wait, scratch that. I just tested things and the port setting is still being read out of the file.

But MOTD and password are not. They still work via command line.

Hello, I am also experiencing this issue.

I'm running on windows server 2019 using server files downloaded from the footer of terraria.org

I also just did the upgrade from 1.4.0.4 to 1.4.0.5, no change to config file and my password setting stopped being pulled from the file. I have since added the -pass argument in my batch file which does function as a workaround.
No dot in my password

MOTD is still coming from config

Maxplayers not working in config

Of note: I have had fully zero actual crashes. The server runs just fine without its password/maxplayers

Hope this helps, happy to provide more details if needed.

I agree with daftm0nk, parts of the serverconfig.txt file are obeyed. My non-default world in a separate directory from TerrariaServer.exe is loaded properly. Running TerrariaServer.exe 1.4.0.5 on windows 10. I ran procmon and confirmed TerrariaServer.exe is opening, reading and closing the serverconfig.txt when it launches.

1.4 has been loads of fun so far! Great job team.

Just confirming the other findings with a Docker image/container of Terraria 1.4.0.5, nothing new:

So far, I'm only aware of the maxplayer and password parameters not being acknowledged--but can't say I've tested the others.
My MOTD shows up in-game via the serverconfig.txt parameter.
And in regards to the password, it's only alphabetic, so no potentially 'exotic' characters.

Back
Top Bottom