Other 1.4.0.5 Suggestion for User Experience

wonay

Terrarian
Hello,

I have played 400+ hours of Terraria since the very first version. And this is the first time that I feel the need to submit a feedback, so far everything have always been perfect.

Feedback #1:

My problem is in the Journey mode. I am trying to research everything.

And the main issue, is that you cannot see the research requirement from within the craft list.
Let me explain a situation to make it clearer.

You just researched Gold Ore, you make the bars, you research the bars. You have the bars. You open the inventory and see the large amount of new things you can craft. Which one do you already know ? Have you research the pickaxe yet ? Let's hover over. Doesn't say anything. Crafting.... putting in inventory. Hover over. Ah damn it, already did this one. Putting in the trash. Trying to craft the next item.

And for gold bar it is relatively easy but when you get a new type of wood. It gets really out of hand.

We can see the research state in the vendor UI so why not in the crafting.

Feedback #2:

When you type in the search bar of the item available to duplicate. When you click on one and hold it on your cursor, you can start placing it in the world, which is great ! But if you move around, the focus for keyboard is still in the search bar so you end up typing stuff. It is really annoying. When you click on something, it should de-focus the search bar.

Feedback #3:

In the duplication menu, some items are in no tabs. You will only find them if you deselect the tabs. There is a need for more tabs. To fine find items more easily.

Feedback #4:

When you use the guide for crafting tips, it doesn't tell you what kind of workbench you have to use.

Feedback #5:

Being able to select what your cursor is hovering. Like you hover some Platinum Brick, press whatever key and this is what you hold in your cursor. So that when you use several type of blocks in a build you don't have to remember all the palet of blocks you have been using.

Thank you so much for your work !

Last edited:
As a person who really loves Terraria, and wishes only good for the developers team and the game itself, i would like to join to this suggestions discussion and to add some more Quality of Life improvements suggestions. First of all, i absolutely love Journey mode. This is now the only mode, that i am playing from 1.4.0 release, but i would like to make some suggestions for it.

I absolutely agree, with above feedback. Also i would like to add some notes:
To Feedback #2:
Absolutely agree, this ruined my gameplay so many times, so annoying. Please Re-logic can you do something about it. The suggestion from Wonay sounds reasonable.
To Feedback #3:
Yes, i feel like there's need in additional tabs like:
-Furniture;
-Banners;
-Containers (like boss bags and crates);
-Fish (or may be quest fish, or even Fishing-related items);
-Ammo and Ammo-like items (like flares)
-Equipment items (pets, mounts, hooks, carts, light pets);
-Dye and dye-related items;
-critters tab;
-developer items(from boss bags);
-mechanisms (wires, switches, logic gates, teleports and so on)
and so on. In general i believe we need to have more tabs.

Subtabs:
Also i would like to suggest implement Subtabs, which will grant access to more specific tab items set. For example:
-different furniture subtabs (made from different materials, i.e. wooden furniture, glass and so on) for furniture tab;
-event- or biome-related banners (i.e. i want to access to all banners for solar eclipse, or for jungle biome for example);
-different classes weapons and armor subtabs, for respectively Weapons and Armor tabs (i.e. ranged weapon, summoner armor and so on);
-vanity items subtabs for armor and accessory tabs;
-accessories that are final (i.e. not used for crafting further accessories), accessories that are materials for better accessories (i.e. used for crafting), accessories from expert mode subtabs for accessories tab;
-wings subtab for accessories tab;
-subtabs for equipment items (pets, mounts, hooks, carts, light pets);
-fishing subtabs (fishing rods, bait, quest fish);
-crafting materials subtabs: ores, bars, different woods, plants and their seeds, fish, souls, dye-ingredients.
Well this list can be extended, but i think you've got and idea: choose tab, choose subtab, enjoy your shortlist of items, that you may require. This will help us to avoid typing, because lists would become shorter, and therefore it will be easier to find the item of your interest without typing it's title. This will also help with Feedback #2 from Wonay.

Favorite:

Also i would like to suggest to implement favorite tab: this is absolutely must have feature for such a big list. Here's what i mean: you mark somehow items in duplication menu (for example, Alt-clicking, like in regular inventory) like Favorite. This item will now appears in Favorite tab. This would be useful for items that you need regularly, like:
-buff potions for boss fights;
-health potions;
-campfires, heart lamps, basta statues;
-torches, glowsticks;
-common crafting materials (metal bars, plants, fish, souls);
-furniture for quick housing (chairs, doors, tables, walls, bricks);
-quest fish.
This is because there are some items, that are used from duplication menu more often, then others. Searching them every time is a bit annoying. The favorite tab would resolve the issue.

Quick research:
This is simple enough. When you entering new biome (like jungle, or dungeon, or underworld) or when you are encountering new event (like solar eclipse or frost moon) you are getting a bunch of new items, that you want to research. And moving them to research window by hand (or even by Shift-clicking) and then pressing Research button, and also opening Research menu before that in first place - that's all time consuming. I suggest alter a little bit Ctrl-clicking behavior for items in your inventory in next logic:
-if item is not yet researched, Ctrl-clicking will try research whole stack, without opening research menu. If there was more than needed items in stack for researching, then only needed amount will be sacrificed for researching, extra amount will be left in your inventory. If there was not enough items in stack to fully research this item, then all those items will be sacrificed for researching.
-if item is already researched, then Ctrl-clicking works as usually trashing selected item.
In this way we can quickly research a whole bunch of new items from event or biome very quickly, without opening research menu. This also resolves another issue: researching items in containers (like void bag) without needing to drag them in your inventory first. I believe this will really simplify the process of researching whole set of in-game items and also will make it more enjoyable.
Alternatively if some player's don't wont to flood their duplication menu with unnecessary items, we can change Ctrl-clicking mechanic to something else, like mouse's middle button, or make another binding for quick research function in game control settings.

I really hope that developers at least would see the list above and say if this is a good idea or bad idea, or not completable task. I would appreciate any feedback, because i really think those features will be good addition to perfect in other ways Journey mode, which i absolutely love.
Thank you all for your efforts, and i wish you the very best.
Looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you for the answer ! I agree with everything you said !

I particularly like the "favorite" / "hide" idea for the duplication menu, brilliant !
And the quick search, SHIFT+click already send the item to research when open, it could be done directly from inventory, have a new icon at the bottom like the trash for research.

An other one would be able to know what you haven't researched yet like the bestiary and/or see the "in progress" items that you have started but not finished.

But if you move around, the focus for keyboard is still in the search bar so you end up typing stuff. It is really annoying. When you click on something, it should de-focus the search bar.

I agree with you guys those things needs to be changed.
And even in bestiary when searching and selecting enemy you still can type in search box (but you need to either click search button or close bestiary to start walking again) . And when you close bestiary, tabs for filters and search are still in state before closing. This also grinding my gears.
Also not related to topic, but why there is no alternate recipe for Music Box (Title) with Crimson Music boxes?

I hope someone send this to devs

And the quick search, SHIFT+click already send the item to research when open, it could be done directly from inventory, have a new icon at the bottom like the trash for research.

The problem with shift-clicking to opened research window for me it that you need additionally to click "Research" button to complete the process. This foreces me to move mouse back and forth for every single item i want to research.
Your idea with having another cell near the trash cell for research is interesting, but i see here one problem: if in your scenario item shift-clicked when some container is opened would this item be sent to research cell or to container (that's how it currently works: shift-clicking item in your inventory with opened container will move this item to container. that's why you can't open container and research menu at the same time)? Or correct me if i misunderstand you (not native english speaker :) )

An other one would be able to know what you haven't researched yet like the bestiary and/or see the "in progress" items that you have started but not finished.
Ah that woulkd be just great for perfectionists, like myself :) Some empty tiles, indicating, that you've forgot some wooden "something-something", to fulfill your collection would be great :)

I agree with you guys those things needs to be changed.
And even in bestiary when searching and selecting enemy you still can type in search box (but you need to either click search button or close bestiary to start walking again) . And when you close bestiary, tabs for filters and search are still in state before closing. This also grinding my gears.
Yeah definetelly any click outside of search bar shold defocus it. That's how it really shoud be done in a good way.

I hope someone send this to devs
I hope devs will see this thread and at least would say their opinion about those features.
And to highlight it, we need to keep discussion here :) Go ahead, any simple features for Quality of Life improvements?

The problem with shift-clicking to opened research window for me it that you need additionally to click "Research" button to complete the process. This foreces me to move mouse back and forth for every single item i want to research.

Completely agree !

Your idea with having another cell near the trash cell for research is interesting, but i see here one problem: if in your scenario item shift-clicked when some container is opened would this item be sent to research cell or to container (that's how it currently works: shift-clicking item in your inventory with opened container will move this item to container. that's why you can't open container and research menu at the same time)? Or correct me if i misunderstand you (not native english speaker :) )

Ah I forgot about the container and the SHIFT+CLICK. Maybe you can't do it when a container is open ?

Yeah you right. That is better solution.

About QOL i think if we can shift click from duplication menu, why not have shift click when crafting items? They could go straight to inventory.
hmm... never thought about it in that way. this is probably a good idea, but for me honestly, that's not a big deal. in a 90% of cases i open craft menu to craft a single thing, and in 50% i want immediatelly to place it in a world, so there's no real need for me to send it directly to inventory first. But that's just me.
Also you should consider how many items would be crafted in such a mechanic? All possible number (depending on number of materials) or just one?

For me personally i would love to have some recipes list. I know, that it's Guide's actual work, to show recipes, but let's be honest:
-he doesn't show crafting station
-he doesn't show if you missed something new/interesting (i.e. some new recipes, that appeared in 1.4.0 and you will be probably interested in them, like Void Bag for exmaple)
-he is not always nearby or alive in a first place
I know that Terraria is about explroing the world by yourself, and in proper way you should bring every single material to Guide and show it to him to learn what you can make of it. But let's be honest, it's much easier to go to wiki and see whole bunch of recipes :) Also "Journey mode" can partially also be called a "creative mode", so why don't give us whole recipes list/book at least for Journey Mode?
But i think i saw some recipes list mod for tModLoader. Let's hope the tModLoader's devs team will update it soon :)

Also you should consider how many items would be crafted in such a mechanic? All possible number (depending on number of materials) or just one?
One would be enough or even add place in ui that you choose how many you can make
-he doesn't show crafting station
20200612190132_1.jpg He does
-he doesn't show if you missed something new/interesting (i.e. some new recipes, that appeared in 1.4.0 and you will be probably interested in them, like Void Bag for exmaple)
Fair point. But that's the beauty of this game, you can miss few things here and there. But then you replay it and maybe you discover this time.
so why don't give us whole recipes list at least for Journey Mode?
For me that would defeat the purpose of Journey Mode. But that just my opinion.

Attachments

• 20200612190132_1.jpg
    20200612190132_1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 134

wow, I have never noticed before ! haha

Fair point. But that's the beauty of this game, you can miss few things here and there. But then you replay it and maybe you discover this time.

For me that would defeat the purpose of Journey Mode. But that just my opinion.

I agree, but I think having the same system as the bestiary with blurry, grayed out icon would be good. So you know you are missing something, now you have to go explore to figure it out :)

Yeah you right. That is better solution.
BTW, guys, just a little note, Idk if you already know this: when typing search text in duplication menu, you can then additianally press Enter to defocus search bar. That requires some time to get used to it, but it partially solves the problem. You can now move in the world, with opened duplication menu and get items from there. That's where Favorite tab would come to it's true power if it would be there :)
Also you can do the same thing (defocus search bar) by pressing on it again. But that's less handy for me.
But of course: defocus on any click outside the search bar would still be great feature.

One would be enough or even add place in ui that you choose how many you can make

20200612190132_1.jpg He does
wow, I have never noticed before ! haha
huh, haven't seen it too :) ok, point taken :)

You know what? i agree with you on that question more than with myself :) You are right. Especially considering that this is the last time we would be able to investigate/search/explore something new for this game, considering that this is the last update T_T
I agree, but I think having the same system as the bestiary with blurry, grayed out icon would be good. So you know you are missing something, now you have to go explore to figure it out :)
Exactly what i am talking about:) I suggest to call it something like "Collection", to be referred just like Bestiary.

Back
Top Bottom