Weapons & Equip 1.4.1 Balance Retrospective

Nano bullets need to bounce once before getting any sort of 'homing' effect at which point they lose 1/3 of their damage, which negate thier higher base damage advantage.
Also its your main reason for them not being a poor man's chloro bullet is that they're cheaper?
I forgot about them losing some damage after bouncing, thought that only applied to chlorophyte arrows. My bad.
I guess saying they weren’t “poor man’s bullets” was :red:ty wording, but my point still stands that they’re a lot easier to produce en masse than Chlorophyte, giving them a reasonable niche.

Cool Whip tagging enemies would work, but it shouldn’t be 10 (that’s more than Durendal!) I’d put the tag damage at 7, equal to Spinal Tap and 2 lower than Durendal, for 2 reasons: 1, you have the snowflake and debuff doing damage already, and 2, you don’t want it to be too strong with Blade.
Well the tag damage would replace the snowflake's damage, and the Cool Whip would still have two main disadvantages compared to Durendal: it doesn't give any sort of speed buff, and you can't apply the tag damage directly since it's applied by the snowflake instead. That's why I set it so high, since the disadvantage of being beholden to the snowflake's AI needs something to balance it out. That said, maybe lowering it to 8 or 9 would be better, but I do think 7 is too low.
For Lunar Flare, I’d honestly make it a crowd focused weapon. It’s not that hard to aim - the projectiles are quick and accurate to your cursor, making it pretty focused. The issue is not it being weak, just how much better Last Prism is. I’d make Last Prism a single target beam and keep it from piercing enemies, and then increase the spread and explosion size of Lunar Flare.
It honestly is way too slow to hit targets nearly as reliably as it should. By the time you get it, your main concerns are the Moon Lord and the pillars, and its projectiles are just too slow and narrow to hit either the Moon Lord's eyes or flying pillar enemies with any degree of accuracy. You could nerf the Last Prism, but I'd rather that not happen because of how iconic the Prism is, not to mention that the Lunar Flare would still be outclassed by other weapons like the Celebration Mk2 in everything but wall-piercing.
Gem Hooks being harder to make probably isn’t the optimal solution, people usually want to have a hook asap and locking the gem hooks behind this gate would make them a bit later on. I’d just buff the drop rate of hooks like you said and then buff Grappling Hook, make it a sidegrade rather than downgrade. When Gem Hooks aren’t considered too strong, buffing the other options would be taken much better than nerfing the gem hooks.
Well, part of my concern, albeit a minor one, is that the Hook item is now practically useless since you'll usually have a gem hook by the time it ever drops. What if it were added to the gem hooks' recipes, but the gem requirement were also reduced by something like 5 each? On top of being a more common drop, and maybe even dropping from more enemies. I've noticed that gems tend to spawn in veins of around 10, so making 10 gems + 1 Hook the requirement could actually make grappling hooks easier to craft.
Nano Bullets aren’t completely a poor man’s Chlorophyte: they’ve got better damage, but more importantly, you can buy them. Chlorophyte is a scarce resource and chlorophyte farms are slow, so just being able to buy pseudo-homing outright makes them pretty helpful for when you don’t want to waste Chlorophyte, such as during longer events. Maybe confusion should be temoved from both and Flask of Nanites just needs its own effect altogether, you don’t need Confusion by post-Plantera and it’s often unhelpful.
I've done some testing with both Nano and Chlorophyte Bullets, and Nano really is a poor man's Chloro. The damage debuff after bouncing, on top of the requirement to have blocks nearby to bounce off of, reduces Nano's effective DPS by a lot. In my tests the Nano Bullets were getting like half as much DPS as Chloro, and I like to think I have pretty good aim.

Being able to buy the materials for them is an advantage, but Chlorophyte isn't as rare as you're implying. 1.3 buffed its availability by increasing the amount that can spawn per area, while 1.4.1 eased competition for it by reducing the number of ore per bar, even if Chlorophyte Bullets themselves still take almost the same amount of ore. Not to mention, Nano Bullets are supposed to be a whole tier above Chlorophyte, so there's that to consider.

How is this thing too strong? Here's a few around its tier I'd say are roughly as strong:

A blowpipe using seeds has the same base damage as this thing, and the boomerang can have more/less attack speed depending on distance.

Wand of sparking has roughly the same damage but trades knockback for a pierce.

Poisoned knives are obtained roughly the same way (wood chest item + cheap material), they may be limited as a consumable but they are better than the enchanted boomerang at literally everything else.

Putting a ruby in its recipe means it has to compete with the likes of: gold bow, ruby staff, mace, ice blade, or snowball cannon.
I would say that all these weapons are much more useful than the enchanted boomerang.
All of those weapons you listed for comparison take limited resources to use. The Enchanted Boomerang can be used infinitely. It also has way more knockback than any of those, which is extremely important at the beginning of the game. The cooldown after throwing the boomerang nerfs it somewhat, but it's not enough to keep it from being way more useful overall than any other weapon in its tier, especially if you're fighting close enough to enemies that you can spam it very quickly. And with its massive knockback, there isn't even that much risk to doing exactly that.

I'm not sure how adding a ruby to its recipe would make it compete with the Gold Bow or Ruby Staff, since those require gold bars which are much more difficult to obtain than a single ruby. The Mace, sure, but that's why I said it was a secondary suggestion. I think that just changing the recipe to 1 Mana Crystal and a Wooden Boomerang at an anvil would be enough. Part of the issue is that it's so easy to craft that it makes the Wooden Boomerang obsolete, since you're always just going to upgrade it as soon as you get it. 1 Fallen Star is nothing when they're so common now. At that point you might as well just remove the Wooden Boomerang from the game and put the Enchanted Boomerang in wooden chests instead.

Well the tag damage would replace the snowflake's damage, and the Cool Whip would still have two main disadvantages compared to Durendal: it doesn't give any sort of speed buff, and you can't apply the tag damage directly since it's applied by the snowflake instead. That's why I set it so high, since the disadvantage of being beholden to the snowflake's AI needs something to balance it out. That said, maybe lowering it to 8 or 9 would be better, but I do think 7 is too low.
The issue comes from the *value* of the tag damage, where that makes up a pretty substantial chunk of the DPS in a build. *ESPECIALLY* with Blades. Cool Whip has more base damage than Spinal Tap by a margin of almost double, as well as more range, so I don’t think having 7 would hurt, although I can agree with maybe 8. Definitely not the same scale as Durendal though.

Well, part of my concern, albeit a minor one, is that the Hook item is now practically useless since you'll usually have a gem hook by the time it ever drops. What if it were added to the gem hooks' recipes, but the gem requirement were also reduced by something like 5 each? On top of being a more common drop, and maybe even dropping from more enemies. I've noticed that gems tend to spawn in veins of around 10, so making 10 gems + 1 Hook the requirement could actually make grappling hooks easier to craft.
This would be bypassed if you increased the drop rate of hooks like you said though. 15 gems is a lot, and can be kind hard to come by at times. It’s just that hooks are even harder, which buffing their drop rate would fix. Making hooks more common would help to establish the existence of Grappling Hook.

Being able to buy the materials for them is an advantage, but Chlorophyte isn't as rare as you're implying. 1.3 buffed its availability by increasing the amount that can spawn per area, while 1.4.1 eased competition for it by reducing the number of ore per bar, even if Chlorophyte Bullets themselves still take almost the same amount of ore. Not to mention, Nano Bullets are supposed to be a whole tier above Chlorophyte, so there's that to consider.
Maybe Nano could not have a damage loss after bouncing then. I don’t think it would need a complete overhaul.

I'm not sure how adding a ruby to its recipe would make it compete with the Gold Bow or Ruby Staff, since those require gold bars which are much more difficult to obtain than a single ruby. The Mace, sure, but that's why I said it was a secondary suggestion. I think that just changing the recipe to 1 Mana Crystal and a Wooden Boomerang at an anvil would be enough. Part of the issue is that it's so easy to craft that it makes the Wooden Boomerang obsolete, since you're always just going to upgrade it as soon as you get it. 1 Fallen Star is nothing when they're so common now. At that point you might as well just remove the Wooden Boomerang from the game and put the Enchanted Boomerang in wooden chests instead.
Not always. It’s pretty easy to find a vein of Gold because they’re quite common, while Rubies are much rarer and substantially less obvious. I’d say it’s not any harder to get gold than it is to get rubies.
It’s fine if Wooden Boomerang is a material, a lot of things are materials. That said I could agree with making it take an anvil and more stars, but gating it behind something like Rubies is way too much of a powergate.

You’re right about Lunar Flare. It probably just needs a complete overhaul to compete with the Prism then.

Last edited:
All of those weapons you listed for comparison take limited resources to use. The Enchanted Boomerang can be used infinitely. It also has way more knockback than any of those, which is extremely important at the beginning of the game. The cooldown after throwing the boomerang nerfs it somewhat, but it's not enough to keep it from being way more useful overall than any other weapon in its tier, especially if you're fighting close enough to enemies that you can spam it very quickly. And with its massive knockback, there isn't even that much risk to doing exactly that.
First off the limited resources.
Blowpipe has no issue getting seeds while exploring the surface, it may struglle a bit if you go underground immediately but if you start caving early you'll find a better weapon than the enchanted boomerang.
Poisoned knives being a limited resourse is a serious limitation on them however they are still better than the boomerang at everything else by a noticeable margin.(even distruption)

As for knockback/distruption
Blowpipe has no issue stopping 2 zombies from reaching a player standing still, and it actually performs better than the boomerang against demon eyes since it doesn't yeet them out of range so they can reorient themselves and fly in at a new angle.
Poisoned knives can completely distrupt a hoard of zombies, and it can even stunlock multiple demon eyes airborne.

Limited resources and lack of knockback are both valid criticisms of the wand of sparking, and its the only 1 of the 3 weapons I mentioned where I would consider enchanted boomerang overall better. However keep in mind you don't have to wait for night time to get this, you can grab it right out of a wood chest then immediatly dive into a cave and if you're lucky end up with something like a gold bow or mace before even having to deal with night time.

Okay, I've updated the OP to incorporate feedback and tweaked a few of the numbers after further thought and testing. I've also put the list into alphabetical order now, so it's a bit easier to search through.

Unlike most other things on this list, I think it's way too strong compared to when you can get it in the game. Making it craftable for the cost of only 1 Fallen Star is just ridiculous for a weapon this potent. I think that, at the very least, it should require a Mana Crystal instead of a Fallen Star, as well as an Anvil for its crafting station. That way, the Wooden Boomerang might actually see some use instead of getting immediately upgraded.
The wooden boomerang is just weak, making the enchanted boomerang more expensive won't make people use it when they could just makes snowballs or wooden bow with wooden arrows.

Maybye just buff the wooden boomerang so to enchanted boomerang is a much smaller upgrade, like up its base damage to 12 or something.

The wooden boomerang is just weak, making the enchanted boomerang more expensive won't make people use it when they could just makes snowballs or wooden bow with wooden arrows.

Maybye just buff the wooden boomerang so to enchanted boomerang is a much smaller upgrade, like up its base damage to 12 or something.
The Wooden Boomerang really isn't that weak. It's sufficient for the very beginning of the game, and the Enchanted Boomerang is just overkill.

Back
Top Bottom