Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
So, i updated terraria to 1.4.1 a few days ago, and after that, its just not opening, doing it from steam just shows for few secounds to friends that im in game, and then do nothing
I tried MANY things to fix that, and i saw that it opens randomly, or in situations that i dont understand, i tried re-installing the whole game few times, restarting steam/computer, i tried opening it as administrator or from another graphic card, i deleted all T-mod loader files from computer that i could, or with compability mode with windows 7/8 etc. etc. i tried literally anything that i thinked could change something, but the game is still not opening.
unknown (3).png
I haven't seen anyone talking about this at this version. I have 1100+ hours in terraria, and this never happend before, even after 1.4 update i could play normally.
Other game works fine, and its not problem with my system because i can play normally when it finally opens, but i managed to open it like 3 or 4 times in 4 hours of trying. :(

-Windows 10, Intel core i5-5200U, 4GB ram

+Sorry for my english :bluslime:

I can't say for sure if this will fix the problem for you, but you can try setting music volume to zero and see if that allows it to load.

You can edit \Documents\My Games\Terraria\config.json to disable music without opening the game. Change VolumeMusic to 0.0

I can't say for sure if this will fix the problem for you, but you can try setting music volume to zero and see if that allows it to load.

You can edit \Documents\My Games\Terraria\config.json to disable music without opening the game. Change VolumeMusic to 0.0

I think that was the case, i deleted the config file, and run the terraria as administrator, seems to work good for now, thanks!! :pinky:

Out of curiosity, were you able to subsequently turn the volume up and have it run properly?

There are some music related launch issues we are actively investigating, and it could be relevant info :)

I had a theory about how the way the game does startup could lead to the game being unable to load, but it only happens if the game loads sufficiently slow and a problem happens in audio system. hok64's screenshot resolution suggested a small laptop that might be slow enough to experience this issue.

Game startup has slightly different timing when music volume is set to zero compared to when it is enabled. Music off is the fast logo, music on is the slow logo. When audio system has a problem it changes volume to zero. This switches from slow logo mode to fast logo mode. The game will fail to load correctly if a certain amount of time was spent in slow mode before switching to fast mode.

Although the music system should never be allowed to crash, fixing the logo issue would allow the game to run when audio is broken instead of not being able to run the game at all.

The game captures all errors from the music/audio system during loading and completely ignores them. The errors not being recorded means they cannot be included in bug reports. I have experienced audio crashes, but I can't provide any more helpful info for this reason.

I discussed this previously on the modding forums because mods increase the loading time of the game enough to make this issue more likely to trigger. Mods also increase the likelyhood of the issue by sometimes trying to load audio files incorrectly.
In the DrawSplash function it seems that if the music system throws an exception during loading, then quickSplash can be changed from false to true. The quicksplash codepath relies on splashCounter being set back to 125 if it is between 126 and 200 and _isAsyncLoadComplete is false. If splashCounter gets over 200 before loading is complete it won't check _isAsyncLoadComplete and will run initialization code on partially loaded content.

Disaster scenario:

Start game with music enabled.
splashCounter gets over 200. (Somewhat slow startup?)
Async audio loading throws exception.
Caught exception changes musicVolume to zero. (Many bug reports of this happening right now.)
Next call of DrawSplash sets quickSplash from false to true.
splashCounter is now at a higher value than normally possible when quickSplash is enabled.
Initialization code now runs even though _isAsyncLoadComplete is false!
Game in unrecoverable? state continuously firing exceptions and hopefully closes itself quickly.

Out of curiosity, were you able to subsequently turn the volume up and have it run properly?

There are some music related launch issues we are actively investigating, and it could be relevant info :)
when i launcher terraria, it had 100% on all volume, so i set it down to 50 25 50 and no issues with launching the game
+most of the time, i played terraria in a window, after this config reset, it was on full screen till now. I thinked i should mention it

thank you so much i was stuck with this for months

i tried it and it didnt work, am i doing something wrong?
I am unable to confirm you are experiencing the same problem as the original poster.

The game has been patched to 1.4.1.2 so you could have a different bug. Some music related changes were made in 1.4.1.2 that would make the advice I gave earlier less likely to help. If your symptoms have any differences from the original post of this thread, you should start a new post with a detailed description of your bug.

If you problem is identical to the original poster, make that clear in your post and also confirm which version of the game you are running on.

thank you and yes im having the same problem, the game doesnt launch after 1.4.1 uptade sometimes it opens randomly and when i try to validate files it always says "1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired" thanks for your effort

also back in time when 1.4 got released i would crash whenever a file got saved, (dying, leaving the world etc.) yoraiz0r told me that i should

"1. can you open your config.json file in the documents/my games/terraria folder, find "UseRazerRGB": true,
"UseCorsairRGB": true,
"UseLogitechRGB": true,
and set all three of them to false instead please? 2. can you go to the documents/my games folder, right click terraria, properties, then check that readonly isn't ticked on please?" i can tick readonly and turn on RGB settings true again

thank you! that fixed my problem, I was dealing with that for about a week or more!

Back
Top Bottom