Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Now, I don't know if this is intentional or not, but Deerclops doesn't despawn upon the player's death, but considering how out-of-place it feels in Terraria, I'm leaning towards it being a bug. Here's video footage of said bug (Sorry that the tone of the video is so negative, but it does show off the bug well):

This is intentional behavior, due in part to how Deerclops behaves in Don't Starve.

He does eventually despawn, but it is on his own timer, and is not related to player death.

This is intentional behavior, due in part to how Deerclops behaves in Don't Starve.

He does eventually despawn, but it is on his own timer, and is not related to player death.
I know that this isn't the place for design suggestions, but I think having Deerclops despawn upon the player dying would be better within the context of Terraria because not having it despawn removes the main thing that makes Terraria's bosses challenging.

Sorry about the double reply, but the video does show off an actual bug where the game crashed when he tried to teleport back to his town during the Deerclops fight:

Sorry about the double reply, but the video does show off an actual bug where the game crashed when he tried to teleport back to his town during the Deerclops fight:

We can look into it but . . . that unfortunately gives us very little indication of what caused the crash.

I suspect this isn't your video? Without a crash log, that doesn't give us a lot to work on.

We can look into it but . . . that unfortunately gives us very little indication of what caused the crash.

I suspect this isn't your video? Without a crash log, that doesn't give us a lot to work on.
Yeah, it isn't my video. Sorry. Even the guy who made the video had trouble replicating the crash. If you're really dedicated, you could contact him and get the crash log, but I wouldn't blame you if you don't want to go through all that trouble.

I know that this is an old thread. But, if you are allowed to share the information, I would like to know exactly how Deerclops' despawning mechanics work. I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

To my knowledge, Deerclops is intended to despawn 3 full days from his initial spawn time. I don’t think he will despawn if he is on screen/in combat either, but after 3 days, the next time he is left unattended, he should despawn shortly.

To my knowledge, Deerclops is intended to despawn 3 full days from his initial spawn time. I don’t think he will despawn if he is on screen/in combat either, but after 3 days, the next time he is left unattended, he should despawn shortly.
Thank you for the information. Three days seems to be quite a long time, though. That probably makes him too easy to cheese and get his now-good items, which bends the game's progression a fair bit. I know the dev team is hesitant to make him despawn after the player's death, but I had an idea. What if instead of despawning upon the player's death, Deerclops remains spawned but regenerates his HP? I think that's an idea worth discussing.

Back
Top Bottom