1.4.4 Summoner Minion, Whip & Armor In-Depth Tier List

Tempest staff can be obtained pre-mech, though not an easy task for even an experienced player. Nonetheless, it can outperform basically (I think?) every other staff until you begin approaching late game. Does this influence the ranking of the summon?
I can see the argument for it being A-, however pre-mech Duke Fishron will not be done by most players and if you're going to do Duke Fishron early, it's realistically going to be for Razorblade Typhoon and Bubble Gun. Razorblade kills non-coiled Destroyer very fast, and Bubble Gun also melts Plantera.

I can see the argument for it being A-, however pre-mech Duke Fishron will not be done by most players and if you're going to do Duke Fishron early, it's realistically going to be for Razorblade Typhoon and Bubble Gun. Razorblade kills non-coiled Destroyer very fast, and Bubble Gun also melts Plantera.
In a nutshell, for a duke fishron drop you would expect more from it?

In a nutshell, for a duke fishron drop you would expect more from it?
Just a bit more compared to the other weapons, yeah. Its performance can match if not borderline surpass the like of Raven Staff on EoL for example, but you need to play more precisely to achieve that.

I am a massive noob and thus my opinion isn't worth much (though at the same time I think me being a bit of a noob makes this strat more reasonable for people with more experience) but I've found a setup that makes Dreadnautilus actually really feasible on-tier, to the extent that I got to use Sanguine against The Twins. It doesn't make the low spawn rate and Blood Moon Fishing requirements any less infuriating, but it does make Sanguine a lot more worthwhile

Specifically, it's a Lava Shark build that from what I've seen is pretty similar to Witch's Broom EoL strats, you forego any and all movement accessories to focus on damage and a couple of defensive accessories, and rely on a Lava Shark and Ocean for mobility. I imagine it's easier for Classic Mode since I still had a bit of difficulty on Master and had to use almost every available potion (only excluding Greater Luck because y'know). As for my weapons, I used Blade Staff and Cool Whip with an Ichor Flask, it's probably easier with more Whip stacking since I think I only did a bit with Spinal Tap but as I said I'm a noob lol

I don't think this even moves Sanguine up to S tier, but it is worth noting imo

[21/02/2024 Edit] managed to record myself doing this, I was post mech, but did my best to recreate the circumstances by foregoing Lifeforce and Endurance Potions to match the HP and not using the post-mech tools I have

Here's a link:

[23/02/2024 Edit] reuploaded the video, the original had a weird glitch where it replayed the first 20 seconds or so and I didn't catch it. Sadly that probably ruined the audio, but that's not really the focus

Last edited:
Stardust_armor.png
Stardust Armor: Unranked
Not ranked as it's only obtainable after the game is over and there's nothing else to do.
Stardust goes in super f- tier next update, I'm inside Redigit's house and I overheard him saying something about making it give negative summon slots and negative summon damage...

Yo, give us some leaked content for 1.4.5 then 🦀🦀🦀
Blade Staff is still OP so they're removing Tag Damage from the game

I know this because Red's neighbour's dog's vet's cousin's estranged classmate from 2005 is my friend

Well, 1.4.5 is taking a LOT longer to come out than I thought. So I decided now would be a good time to do a big update to the tier list.

First of all, I rewrote & streamlined the introductory text, as well as rewriting the tier definitions/criteria. As for the ranking itself, I've changed a bunch of placements for mainly one reason: I favor Hybrid Summoner builds a lot more than when I first made the list, since they outshine Whip Summoner most of the time. Additionally, many descriptions were changed or entirely rewritten, like Blade Staff and Dark Harvest.

Hornet Staff A- to B+: Aerial minions are simply not as good as grounded minions in pre-Hardmode. Hornet Staff has a low of raw power, but a lot of it is wasted by its low projectile velocity leading to a bunch of missed shots.

Imp Staff A- to B+: As I just said, aerial minions aren't as good as grounded minion in pre-Hardmode. And Imp Staff itself has disappointingly low damage output for a Hellstone weapon.

Blade Staff S to S-: It doesn't pair very well with Hybrid Summoner builds, and even Whip stacking builds don't hold a candle to optimized Hybrid builds.

Optic Staff A- to A: It proved itself as the overall best minion for Plantera. Blade Staff can beat it in builds that stacks multiple whips, but Hybrid is better anyway. Optic also has satisfactory performance against the post-Plantera Solar eclipse.

Firecracker A+ to A: Hybrid builds competition

Cool Whip A+ to A: Hybrid builds competition

Durendal A+ to A: Hybrid builds competition

Dark Harvest A+ to A-: Hybrid builds competition, but it's also clear at this point that it's outclassed by Morning Star despite being obtained later in progression. Yes, you can use both, but being bullied into a Whip stacking slave, which isn't even remotely necessary for the Tiger + Firecracker combo on EoL, is not indicative of an A+ weapon.

Obsidian Armor A+ to A-: Hybrid builds competition, especially against WoF where it's much more practical and viable to fight at distance with Bee armor + a sidearm

Bee Armor A- to A: Benefits Hybrid builds. Most if not all optimal Pre-Skeletron DPS sets uses Bee Armor at least partially.

Spider Armor: A+ to S-: Similar to Bee Armor's case, it long proved itself as one of the best and most consistently used armor in pre-Mech. Whether using the full armor set or partially using it alongside a "class helmet", minmaxing almost always involves using the Spider Armor in some way shape or form (or Forbidden Armor pieces, which are way more difficult to get and don't make a huge difference). And it's very easy to obtain. I considered rising Forbidden Armor up to A-, but hardmode sandstorms are too controversial with the mainstream playerbase.

I'm still not ranking OOA stuff because I still haven't used all of them enough. Stuff like Dark Artist would be an easy S for the leggings alone, but if I wanted to rank OOA stuff I'd need to rank ALL of it. It's all or nothing.

Last edited:
Durendal A+ to A: Hybrid builds competition

Dark Harvest A+ to A-: Hybrid builds competition, but it's also clear at this point that it's outclassed by Morning Star despite being obtained later in progression. Yes, you can use both, but being bullied into a Whip stacking slave, which isn't even remotely necessary for the Tiger + Firecracker combo on EoL, is not indicative of an A+ weapon.
I wish they kept that whips buffs affected melee weapons, I would rather that they limited (to maybe only melee weapons getting 50% of it) or something else but it gave Darvest and Durendal an use outside of a “whip stacking slave” (and because big numbers make brain happy).

Back
Top Bottom