1.4.4 Discovery/Content Discussion Thread

If you shimmer a bandaid, it becomes a bezoar, and vice versa. Vitamins become armor polish, nazars become megaphones, etc. Everything you need for the ankh charm, if you have a duplicate. This would have saved me so many hours grinding for a nazar back in the day!

Edit: Further testing!
  • Warrior Emblem shimmers to Ranger Emblem to Sorcerer Emblem to Summoner Emblem and back to Warrior
  • Sextant shimmers to Weather Radio to Fisherman's Pocket Guide, likely to avoid frustration with Angler quests
  • GPS, REK 3000 and Goblin Tech materials do not shimmer
I'm having trouble with 'Luminite Rust' bricks, I just get Star Royale bricks instead (which are also gorgeous). Anyone else in the same boat?

Last edited:
Has anyone tried shimmering the golden fishing rod? I don't have a bottomless warer bucket yet
Nothing happened, you can still get a fishing upgrade by shimmering a golden worm though.
If you shimmer a bandaid, it becomes a bezoar, and vice versa. Vitamins become armor polish, nazars become megaphones, etc. Everything you need for the ankh charm, if you have a duplicate. This would have saved me so many hours grinding for a nazar back in the day!

Edit: Further testing!
  • Warrior Emblem shimmers to Ranger Emblem to Sorcerer Emblem to Summoner Emblem and back to Warrior
  • Sextant shimmers to Weather Radio to Fisherman's Pocket Guide, likely to avoid frustration with Angler quests
  • GPS, REK 3000 and Goblin Tech materials do not shimmer
I'm having trouble with 'Luminite Rust' bricks, I just get Star Royale bricks instead (which are also gorgeous). Anyone else in the same boat?
I can’t get star royale bricks, weird

Based on my analysis of these 9 worlds, 3 of each size, the cave containing shimmer always generates on the same side as the jungle, usually below the ocean, but sometimes can generate outside of this area, it generates in a stone ball containing gem trees and a single large lake of shimmer

Attachments

• Shimmer check 1.png
    Shimmer check 1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 177
  • Shimmer check 2.png
    Shimmer check 2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 174
  • Shimmer check 3.png
    Shimmer check 3.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 249
  • Shimmer check 4.png
    Shimmer check 4.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 185
  • Shimmer check 5.png
    Shimmer check 5.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 143
  • Shimmer check 6.png
    Shimmer check 6.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 166
  • Shimmer check 7.png
    7 MB · Views: 42
  • shimmer check 8.png
    7 MB · Views: 50
  • Shimmer check 9.png
    7 MB · Views: 50
Did anyone find out how to get Bottomless Honey Bucket and sponge yet? I have tried fishing in honey, so far 32 honeyfins and nothing else. Also, I tried dipping Enchanted Sundial in Shimmer, it did not turn into the Moondial, are there conditions for that?

Edit: Lemon + Shimmer = Ambrosia.

Wait, I'm getting a different one called Astra Brick from the same world now o_O
I figured it out! It's moon phase! :D

There are actually 8 different variations to collect depending on what phase of the moon it is! Here's a picture of all 9 versions of luminite brick together.

Capture 2022-09-29 02_18_11.png

In order from left to right, top to bottom, they're called Star Royale Brick, Dark Celestial Brick, Cryocore Brick, Mercury Brick, Luminite Brick, Lunar Rust Brick, Astra Brick, Cosmic Ember Brick, and Heavenforge Brick.

I'm really having trouble picking a favorite, they're all so pretty...

Last edited:
A few things i have found that are not in this:
Slimes will become shimmer slimes if exposed to shimmer
Arrows and non-high velocity bullets seem to bounce off shimmer, arrows dipping in and then flying upwards. This applies to flares and portal gun portals too. Haven't tested every projectile though. This also only applies to the top, putting shimmer in bubble and shooting it on the sides doesnt work
Most enemies that fall in shimmer turn invisible for a while.
Money just straight up vanishes into the shimmer. No idea if anything else happens. - Note: This may not be fully true??? It does so, but i have also seen copper fully submerged to no effect.
Before anyone wonders if you can make a shimmer king slime, no you cannot. King slime (and probably all bosses) is immune to shimmer.
Gems transmute. The line i have found is:
Ruby -> Emerald -> sapphire -> Topaz -> Amythest -> Stone -> sand -> Dirt so it looks like shimmer degrades gems one teir
Someone already mentioned the lemon transmution into ambrosia, i felt i should mention ambrosia is a permanent upgrade item, for building and mining speed
Ores can also be degraded, i am not seeking out the whole line right now though.
Also, the shimmer mini-biome cannot be made midair, at least not by making a massive shimmer lake. I tried filling a sky lake with shimmer and there was no star effect like in the naturally generated shimmer pool
You slide on Aetherium blocks
Statue slimes at least vanish when exposed to enough shimmer
Kill king slime to get this lil creature
1664445365865.png

Last edited:
A few things i have found that are not in this:
Slimes will become shimmer slimes if exposed to shimmer
Arrows and non-high velocity bullets seem to bounce off shimmer, arrows dipping in and then flying upwards. This applies to flares and portal gun portals too. Haven't tested every projectile though
Most enemies that fall in shimmer turn invisible for a while.
Money just straight up vanishes into the shimmer. No idea if anything else happens. - Note: This may not be fully true??? It does so, but i have also seen copper fully submerged to no effect.
Before anyone wonders if you can make a shimmer king slime, no you cannot. King slime (and probably all bosses) is immune to shimmer.
Gems transmute. The line i have found is:
Ruby -> Emerald -> sapphire -> Topaz -> Amythest -> Stone -> sand -> Dirt so it looks like shimmer degrades gems one teir
Someone already mentioned the lemon transmution into ambrosia, i felt i should mention ambrosia is a permanent upgrade item, for building and mining speed
Ores can also be degraded, i am not seeking out the whole line right now though.
Also, the shimmer mini-biome cannot be made midair, at least not by making a massive shimmer lake. I tried filling a sky lake with shimmer and there was no star effect like in the naturally generated shimmer pool
You slide on Aetherium blocks
Statue slimes at least vanish when exposed to enough shimmer
Kill king slime to get this lil creatureView attachment 384628
Doesn't seem to just be lemons, I made my first Ambrosia with starfruit! And diamonds degrade into rubies.

EDIT: For those interested, I got a honey-absorbent sponge from the Angler after the bumblebee tuna quest. Probably related, since it's caught in honey.

Last edited:
Here's my notes from yesterday. Many not mentioned yet.
Shimmer Water Recipes:
rod of harmoney can't be crafted until moonlord is dead
jungle seeds <> mushroom seeds
ores tier down with copper > stone (this skips certain ores like corrupt ore and hellstone)
mud, wood, stone > dirt
gems > lower tier gem
amethyst > stone (Amber NOT INCLUDED)
crates > prehard crates
money > destroyed
blizzard/sandstorm bottles > N/A
Many arrows uncraft, hellfire and normal turn to shimmer arrows
spectre boots > hermes + rocket

(unique materials noted for Torch God method of free stuff and because some chosen materials are strange)
corrupt/crimson torch > hardened ebon/crimsand
desert/hallowed torch > hardened pearlsand
jungle torch > spores
ice torch > red ice
mining potions > antlion mandibles + glass stuff > sand

Honey bucket > Water > Lava > Honey. All liquids are free (expert at least).
Honey blocks > Hive. (Bee and jungle biome are free.)
cactus <> pumpkins.
granite <> marble.
dungeon brick > ancient dungeon brick.
dungeon, lihzahrd, sandstone, hardened sand wall > natural walls for spawning mobs.
magma stone > lava charm

Chlorophyte Extractor:
gives gems, hardmode ores, and regular ores from silt, slush, fossil
converts ores/bars to their alts and back (copper/tin)
converts crimsone/corruption ore/bars.

The Steampunker now sells Brown, White, and Yellow solutions to spread the forest, snow, and dessert biomes respectively. Yes this converts dirt to snow or sand. Also converts between dirt, snow, and hardened sandstone walls. YES, it does make player walls natural!

Nazar and bezoar can be obtained pre-hardmode (in fact, for nazar, it's a good idea to grind for it before hardmode because you're a lot more likely to get then -- in hardmode, all the new mobs makes the probability of spawning a nazar-dropping mob much lesser). That means that now you can get the countercurse mantra and the medicated bandage before hardmode!

dungeon, lihzahrd, sandstone, hardened sand wall > natural walls for spawning mobs.
Also spider walls.

Doesn't seem to just be lemons, I made my first Ambrosia with starfruit! And diamonds degrade into rubies.

EDIT: For those interested, I got a honey-absorbent sponge from the Angler after the bumblebee tuna quest. Probably related, since it's caught in honey.
I obtained the bottomless honey bucket today as a reward for a fishing quest. I assume its the same for the honey absorbent sponge.
Well, I had no luck in getting that quest with Bumblebee tuna and I've been using beds + Enchanted Sundial + Enchanted Moondial. Any chances that you could share the characters/worlds with these?

Has anyone figured out how to get the bottomless honey bucket or the honey absorbent sponge? The recipe for Ultra absorbent sponge calls for lava, super and honey absorbent sponge.
Angler quest, but only when he demands the Bumblebee Tuna. I didn't check the time I get the Bottomless Honey Bucket but I got the Honey Absorbant Sponge from that fish.

People from the Discord has been saying the same thing as well.

Back
Top Bottom