1.4.4 Discovery/Content Discussion Thread

I would assume there's some coding to avoid spawning off the edge of the map but not being a Re-Logic programmer, I can't say for sure. 2 generate in small worlds, 4 in medium and 6 in large.
Having searched several worlds and only found 1 after hours searching, I can safely say this isn't working as intended atm.

Anyone have any idea what on earth "Glow Tulips can be generated in an area, with its horizonal range being 200 tiles at 100 tiles away from left and right borders of the world" on the wiki means? Particularly "200 tiles at 100 tiles away". Does this mean the way Glow Tulips are coded to generate they can appear off the edge of the map?
So there's ~42 tiles of generated world outside the world border at each edge. The person who wrote that probably looked at the code, from a coders perspective (big assumptions), If I were trying to generate something rare and special at the edge of the world, I'd code in a round number that is not only within world borders, but also far enough in that a player can find it without their camera going off center. 100 tiles seems like that number to me, and then the tulip would be buried anywhere in the 200 tile range to the right of that spot.

Alternatively, if they're using some different Relogic logic, then the 100 blocks in could actually be in from the playable border, and the 200 block "range" could be centered on that 100th tile, meaning the tulip would generate right up to the edge of the map.

I will assume enough credit to say they probably didn't code it to go off the world. For simplicity, and assuming the first option, I'd say dig straight down right at the oceans' edge with a mining and spelunker potion (assuming that works), then if you don't fine one, go part way back up your hole until just under the ocean and sand, dig towards the edge by 1 screen length and dig down again. After that, give up on that side of the world and do it on the other. You probably don't want to drain your ocean and lag your world, so take care, and beware of the potential ocean cave.

Having searched several worlds and only found 1 after hours searching, I can safely say this isn't working as intended atm.
Very possible, it could have been overwritten/prioritized by abandoned houses, heart crystals, random vegitation, whatever... Or indeed they could have just not factored in the edge of the world. This calls for some sample world generations along with the TEdit search plugin.

Edit: They definitely screwed up. The code is attempting to ensure the specific number per world, but is very late in generation and gives way to any liquids or any preplaced rubble/plants. IMO for that rarity it should override everything as long as it's placed in an empty space on the appropriate block time. I generated 3 normal medium sized worlds:
  1. 0 tulips
  2. 1 tulip on the right in caverns, just above lava level, 106 blocks from world edge (including out of bounds)
  3. 0 tulips
This isn't a good enough sample size to understand the odds, but it's telling enough. I'm reminded of the old troubles with sword shrines and pyramids.

Last edited:
I will assume enough credit to say they probably didn't code it to go off the world. For simplicity, and assuming the first option, I'd say dig straight down right at the oceans' edge with a mining and spelunker potion (assuming that works), then if you don't fine one, go part way back up your hole until just under the ocean and sand, dig towards the edge by 1 screen length and dig down again. After that, give up on that side of the world and do it on the other. You probably don't want to drain your ocean and lag your world, so take care, and beware of the potential ocean cave.
By "I've looked in several worlds" I should say I had already done exactly this in 7+ worlds and found 1 tulip.

There are 2 new boulder-like projectile Sprites in the game's files
One of them is the bouncy boulder which I've figured out, but there is a 2nd one that doesn't appear to have an item attached to it that I can find.
That being this; View attachment 384671
This reminds me of how a while ago I heard about Red commenting on a thread mentioning a "Terra" boulder or smth like that.
Dunno if this is their version of it, but as far as I can tell its not an item or a block outside of the projectile.
It’s a projectile from moonlord on the everything seed!

Have any of you been able to shimmer a copper shortsword?
They blacklisted copper tools from being shimmered in hotfix 1.4.4.4. The reasoning was that you could buy them from the merchant, break them down, and sell the ingots for more money than you payed for the tools.... As for the shortsword... I guess people could make new characters and constantly dump and sell the starting equipment, but that doesn't seem like a very fast way to get money to me.

They blacklisted copper tools from being shimmered in hotfix 1.4.4.4. The reasoning was that you could buy them from the merchant, break them down, and sell the ingots for more money than you payed for the tools.... As for the shortsword... I guess people could make new characters and constantly dump and sell the starting equipment, but that doesn't seem like a very fast way to get money to me.
Again, this feels really lame for gimmick maps. I hope eventually they just come up with a way to flag items bought from NPCs as having been bought from NPCs so they can't be shimmered. Like "dirty" metal and weapons in TF2.

Again, this feels really lame for gimmick maps. I hope eventually they just come up with a way to flag items bought from NPCs as having been bought from NPCs so they can't be shimmered. Like "dirty" metal and weapons in TF2.
Again, if they did that to all NPC items it would also cause damage to my map and be mildly annoying to code. I did ask, and they insisted the prices couldn't be adjusted for the tools. IMy other suggestion was to just "skip" a couple steps of the uncrafting chain for those money exploiting items. IE, have the copper pickaxe give the equivalent amount of stone instead of copper bars. Better solution, I completely dissagree with the price of the "oops I dropped my pickaxe in lava" emergency copper tools sold by the merchant being an issue. I say he should sell iron or even silver/tungsten tools instead so that there might be a more common reason to buy them. The infamous 1 second timer could also be broken down to a lower tier ore in one step. I agree you that the recipe no longer needs to even be there, but I can "almost kind of" justify it's existence based on time and familiarity. It'd be hypocritical of my to say "just remove this old feature" when I've practically begged them to not remove an obscure recipe and feature... I wish there wasn't an etiquette rule about not begging people to be your online army so I could shamefully beg for thumbs on my complaint post. :p <-- This is a joke.

Speaking of discoveries and new content, I started a No Traps seed and was amused by finding a Glowing Mushroom Biome with a ton of statues all wired together next to pressure plates and traps. I hit one and a bunch of skeletons and pigrons spawned, and they kept hitting the pressure plate so more and more spawned, and they kept triggering dart traps. My 5-heart new character died almost instantly, and everytime I passed by there I kept hitting new pressure plates and dying again to an army of hardmode mobs. It was pretty fun.

i typed in the seed dumb luck and the moon was always blue when loading i need to investigate it more but i think it is a seed that is just a bugged scraped idea
you guys try it cuz i believe it remove's dumb luck

oops, I skimmed the past you saying this because you only quoted the bit about Lihzard Brick when you mentioned it. In any case, my reasoning is that I like the consistency of being able to uncraft everything you can craft.
I say he should sell iron or even silver/tungsten tools instead so that there might be a more common reason to buy them.
As long as you're willing to make them expensive so this doesn't supersede getting them via normal means.

As long as you're willing to make them expensive so this doesn't supersede getting them via normal means.
Obviously you wouldn't want it to be a money exploit, but it would only need to cost enough to not be (as all craftable items should be), it's about the time investment taken to get the merchant vs how long it takes to dig up materials for that same tool vs how long it takes to get that amount of money. The goal being that buying the tools should be a "bad deal", but not by much. I haven't bothered looking at how much it would be bought for since it'll never happen.

i typed in the seed dumb luck and the moon was always blue when loading i need to investigate it more but i think it is a seed that is just a bugged scraped idea
you guys try it cuz i believe it remove's dumb luck
There is no such special seed, and such a seed was not in development or removed.

Back
Top Bottom