Do you like this change?

• Yes

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

MasterworkStone

Duke Fishron
If you follow the developer twitters or have been keeping up with ChippyGaming's Terraria news, then you know melee is seeing some big changes in the Labor of Love update.

The only question is, will all melee weapons (excluding yoyos) receive a similar change or will it just be some? I hope it's all melee weapons, because otherwise you'd have the same situation it is now where melee options without a projectile are generally seen as terrible in late game.
I also hope mods follow suite with these changes and we see a lot, if not all, melee mod weapons become true melee like this. There are already some mods that reward true melee over using projectiles, so this wouldn't be a far stretch.

Switching melee weapons over to being "pure" melee might require either enhancing the durability/health of melee characters, or instituting an active defense button.

This might be more of an idea for Terraria 2, but the right click could be a "defense" button that lets the player block attacks with a shield or dodge toward the cursor. There could also be more exotic dodge options, like mages being able to dodge with a short-ranged teleport (like the rod of discord except it can't pass through walls), or summoners being able to sacrifice a minion to tank a hit for them, forcing them to re-summon it.

The problem with close range melee is not weapons, the problem is armor that is effectively paper in master mode - no amount of weapon buffs will change that you take 200+ hp hits in full warding setup from an enemy with upwards of 10k hp, and are basically forced to maintain distance and dodge, or die.

It's hard to tell what the upcoming buff is exactly, but if it's just +50% range and +50% attack speed for close range melee weapons then it changes... nothing.

Switching melee weapons over to being "pure" melee might require either enhancing the durability/health of melee characters, or instituting an active defense button.

This might be more of an idea for Terraria 2, but the right click could be a "defense" button that lets the player block attacks with a shield or dodge toward the cursor. There could also be more exotic dodge options, like mages being able to dodge with a short-ranged teleport (like the rod of discord except it can't pass through walls), or summoners being able to sacrifice a minion to tank a hit for them, forcing them to re-summon it.
maybe like an ability on swords that halves damage taken when using true melee

I do like what the devs are aiming to do with melee to 1.4.4. Melee is meant to be close-ranged. A lot of melee weapons late-game seem like mage weapons but without the need for mana.

I can see the other side though. Some Terrarians fear that this might make Terraria much more unfair for melee. The devs might need to spend a bit of time balancing the playability and fairness of the melee class with these new weapon changes.

Ha melee players, suck it!

You will finally be forced to play melee (CLOSE RANGE), and live with the consequences of your actions!

No more shall you get away with using projectiles, no more will you be a projectile class with no downsides!

THIS IS THE PASSAGE OF FATE!

I haven't posted here... How?
I'm looking forward to the changes, I feel like my upcoming melee class run (along with all of my multiplayer class runs that are going slowly due to lack of players so far/schedule pains) will be a really fun challenge because of having to actually get up close.

After seeing the changes post-update. I've to abmit, the melee changes made to the Terra blade + components have all been great changes.

Night's Edge makes melee very viable to use in prehardmode-endgame, I thought it wouldn't outshine the Vulcano, but the safety that the weapon's range brings really checks out.

The range of the True Excalibur is massive, that only grows more with the Titan's Glove and prefixes,and a much better tool for crowd control for anything withing it's swing range. Anything that dares to come in swing range gets stunlocked, even from behind. And you can control the direction of the sword for knockback too. I'd argue it's even better than before with it's beam that only pierces 2 targets within the same range.

The Terra Blade's fast and wide range also makes it much easier to hit targets witch, compared with it's precise beams before. It's perhaps not longer a good weapon for single targets, but for that you could also swap to the Influx Waver, which makes up for a good counterpart, where it was in close competition with the Terra Blade before.

Overall, Melee is much better off this way, IMO

Last edited:
I feel like the True Night's Edge is underperforming, for what it's meant to be. The pre-1.4.4 True Night's Edge was probably the best melee weapon available at the pre-Plantera stage, as it had a fast and reliable projectile that did tremendous damage when you hit with it, even if it didn't pierce. The current version is largely outclassed by the Death Sickle and even the Shadowflame Knife (a pre-Mech weapon). The projectile is delayed when it comes to tracking your cursor's position, which when combined with how slow it is, means that it only ends up shooting it about half a second after the enemy has already moved away from where you were aiming. You have to lead the projectile to a ridiculous degree to get it to actually hit most Hardmode bosses. The nerf to its range also hurts it further.

Meanwhile, the Night's Edge is a vast improvement over its former incarnation, and can even keep you reasonably safe in early Hardmode. I think this might be the first time I've ever used it consistently.

Back
Top Bottom