Tool [1.4.4] Terranion, a web-based companion/mini-wiki! (now with offline version!)

This is pretty amazing, you obviously have put a lot of time into this and I can respect that.
Just noticed something though
iOvne.png

The frost moon is Christmas-themed

Another thing, you say gold critters are worth 50 gold but they are actually only 10 gold

Any chance you could make an offline version? The pc I play terraria on doesn't have internet and something like this would be really useful.
I'm considering my options at the moment. There is no flash version so it's not possible to just give the user all program' files without them having to set up and configure a local web server for it.
All good, all good. As a side note Bitesize Wars looks absolutely fabulous!
Thanks!
I'm supposed to be working on it instead of poking with Terraria projects right now. Decisions are hard.
This is pretty amazing, you obviously have put a lot of time into this and I can respect that.
Just noticed something though
iOvne.png

The frost moon is Christmas-themed

Another thing, you say gold critters are worth 50 gold but they are actually only 10 gold
Ouch. That's the consequence of trying to fill out information faster by copypasting some of it. Will fix.
As per gold critters, the "value" displayed everywhere is the buy price - the sell price is always 1/5 of that. Should probably clarify that part since it's not easily possible to tell what items can be only bought, and which can be only sold.

May I have one suggestion about the design of the site? You're currently only using the middle part of my screen. I have a normal screen I guess (1920x1080), you should be using some of the left and right too you know. If you want I can help you with that. I like the fact that you put 3 different themes, that's cool. Also good that the default theme is darker, they work easier on your eyes, especially later on the day. I'd like to help with design (clarity), I think there's lots of room for improvement there.

May I have one suggestion about the design of the site? You're currently only using the middle part of my screen. I have a normal screen I guess (1920x1080), you should be using some of the left and right too you know. If you want I can help you with that. I like the fact that you put 3 different themes, that's cool. Also good that the default theme is darker, they work easier on your eyes, especially later on the day. I'd like to help with design (clarity), I think there's lots of room for improvement there.
The design is heavily work-in-progress and so far mostly shaped based on user feedback - for example, different themes were added in under a hour because people on IRC asked why there's only a ultra-light one (and I have not previously given it much thought because of using f.lux).
Current design is mostly geared towards opening the program in a separate small window alongside the game, in the Steam' overlay, or on a mobile device. I'll see about adding an option to have the application area wider by least. Perhaps I can show a sidebar if the window is wide enough, but I have not settled on the contents for that just yet.

The design is heavily work-in-progress and so far mostly shaped based on user feedback - for example, different themes were added in under a hour because people on IRC asked why there's only a ultra-light one (and I have not previously given it much thought because of using f.lux).
Current design is mostly geared towards opening the program in a separate small window alongside the game, in the Steam' overlay, or on a mobile device. I'll see about adding an option to have the application area wider by least. Perhaps I can show a sidebar if the window is wide enough, but I have not settled on the contents for that just yet.

For example the Queen Bee page.
Just take this into consideration, as a user of Terranion I noticed this.
There's a lot of text going on. If you truly wish to make this work while playing Terraria with this alongside you need to clean up the clarity.
For example:
  • 1/20 chance of dropping Honeyed Goggles on death.
  • 1/3 chance of dropping Bee Hat, Bee Shirt, or Bee Pants on death.
  • 3/4 chance of dropping 10-29 Beenade on death.
  • Drops 16-26 Bee Wax on death.
There's several hings going on here! First of all: lack of consistency. Do you notice on all of them you first mention a droprate? Well you don't with the Bee Wax. It obviously has a 100% droprate.. But it is not listed.. It might seem unnecessary, but I would change it to:
  • 100% chance of dropping 16-26 Bee Wax on death.
Second: It's OK to use mathematics fractures, but most people are more familiar with percentages, myself included. It's not that I can't understand mathematics fractures, but I can establish links easier when looking at percentages. If you really insist on using fractures you can, but I'd advice you to change it to '1/3 (33.33%) chance' ... '3/4 (75%) chance'
or just change it to percentages only.

Third: too much text. Try to compare your page to the Terraria Wiki for Queen Bee. Notice how they have a neat little list of drops with their droprates? There's no need to say 'on death' and 'chance of dropping'.. If someone is looking for drops I'm pretty sure they know it will drop on death, if a monster has a specific mechanic to drop items before death that would obviously be stated.... But for pretty much all monsters; they drop loot when they die.

The drops are something you could display in a sidebar, for a desktop at least.

Just my two cents. Try to keep text out as much as you can. For some sites you want a lot of text, but some things need little text to work. :dryadwink:

For example the Queen Bee page.
Just take this into consideration, as a user of Terranion I noticed this.
There's a lot of text going on. If you truly wish to make this work while playing Terraria with this alongside you need to clean up the clarity.
For example:
  • 1/20 chance of dropping Honeyed Goggles on death.
  • 1/3 chance of dropping Bee Hat, Bee Shirt, or Bee Pants on death.
  • 3/4 chance of dropping 10-29 Beenade on death.
  • Drops 16-26 Bee Wax on death.
There's several hings going on here! First of all: lack of consistency. Do you notice on all of them you first mention a droprate? Well you don't with the Bee Wax. It obviously has a 100% droprate.. But it is not listed.. It might seem unnecessary, but I would change it to:
  • 100% chance of dropping 16-26 Bee Wax on death.
Second: It's OK to use mathematics fractures, but most people are more familiar with percentages, myself included. It's not that I can't understand mathematics fractures, but I can establish links easier when looking at percentages. If you really insist on using fractures you can, but I'd advice you to change it to '1/3 (33.33%) chance' ... '3/4 (75%) chance'
or just change it to percentages only.

Third: too much text. Try to compare your page to the Terraria Wiki for Queen Bee. Notice how they have a neat little list of drops with their droprates? There's no need to say 'on death' and 'chance of dropping'.. If someone is looking for drops I'm pretty sure they know it will drop on death, if a monster has a specific mechanic to drop items before death that would obviously be stated.... But for pretty much all monsters; they drop loot when they die.

The drops are something you could display in a sidebar, for a desktop at least.

Just my two cents. Try to keep text out as much as you can. For some sites you want a lot of text, but some things need little text to work. :dryadwink:
Yeah, the drop lists were largely from the original (largely text-only) version and I haven't touched them much (aside of filling out actual data). I have revamped them a little now to look similar to how sold item lists do:
BBTnCQF.png

Full changelog:
  • Revamped NPC drop tables
  • Fixed some NPCs missing names
  • Fixed few items having wrong icons
  • Thumbnails for large NPCs now look better
  • Added some missing AI names
  • Items now display sell price as 'worth' (buy price is displayed on shop pages)

Cool program, makes looking up weapon stas and mob drops easier than loading the gamepedia wiki.

You mentioned that you might want to make an offline version? Try and have a look at Cordova. It allows you to convert websites to executables.

Cool program, makes looking up weapon stas and mob drops easier than loading the gamepedia wiki.

You mentioned that you might want to make an offline version? Try and have a look at Cordova. It allows you to convert websites to executables.
I know about Cordova, have also developed applications with node-webkit (nowadays nwjs) before.
Concerns are largely related to actual structure (I do not want to start a little web server just to process application data... or do I?) and updating (self-patching is problematic and requires verification).
I plan to look into this and Terrasavr' native version sometime in the near future (currently have quite a workload).

Is it on the table to add the modifier lists, as well as a specific weapon's best modifier? I absolutely love what's here so far, I've even added it to my Launchy setup for quick searching while playing.

PS, hello from the Pico-8 BBS. Thought I recognized your name from somewhere.

Last edited:
Terranion is fantastic, thanks for the great work YellowAfterlife

How's the offline version going? Looks like all the data is in those js files, shouldn't be too hard to make it work offline?

Also, will you consider open-sourcing it on github so others can help with bug fixes, data updates, etc.?

Terranion is fantastic, thanks for the great work YellowAfterlife

How's the offline version going? Looks like all the data is in those js files, shouldn't be too hard to make it work offline?

Also, will you consider open-sourcing it on github so others can help with bug fixes, data updates, etc.?
I haven't worked on Terranion for a while now, largely due to picking up contract work.
Offline version should mostly be fine, only need to change some things to save the end user from starting a local web server (cross-domain errors when accessing local file contents).
I'm considering open-sourcing at least some part of this, it's just that the main program is written in Haxe, the data "reader" is written in C# (with another Haxe program packing generated and handwritten data into separate files), and it uses a custom Haxe->JS transpiler and minifier because the default one loves expanding smaller pieces of code into larger ones all too much. Overall a lot of open-sourcing and guide writing to do before people could successfully compile the program by themselves, and I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Apparently I didn't update this thread the last few times I updated the tool!

I just released an update that makes the tool incredibly fast (after initial load, navigation between pages is pretty much instant) and also introduces an offline version that you can download and open in a browser.

Back
Top Bottom