Other 1.4 Graphical Fix -- Allow for an option to keep background elements same scale/resolution as the foreground

Lunatic Lobbyist

The Destroyer
In Terraria 1.3.5 and all versions prior to my knowledge, all background elements were the same scaling/resolution (same pixel size and clarity) as foreground elements. The player, the ground you walk on, NPC's etc were all the same resolution as the background. Everything was uniform in resolution, and backgrounds in turn looked just as crisp as everything else.

However -- since the introduction of 1.4 and depending on the user's setup, many textures in the background have become over-sized, washed-out looking, and at times appear completely misshapen compared to the foreground. Some single pixels in the background are nearly half the size of the player character in certain areas like the desert. This means some background elements are so oversized and washed-out, on some setups they're literally unrecognizable. For instance, trees in the foreground look as they always do, but trees in the background now look like a washed-out, blocky mess by comparison -- at times it's bad enough to look more like a graphical bug. I can upload pics if it'll help. I've reported this already in the bug section with others positively reacting, but with very little feedback by staff. So I'm assuming this change is by design to accommodate larger monitor sizes without having to make larger background pieces loading in to save on RAM usage. But now (for some resolutions), the current method has led to arguably much bigger problems.

So I'm humbly proposing an in-game option that allows the player to toggle whether or not backgrounds get enlarged/scaled-up, or stay the same size as the foreground like they were prior to 1.4. I'm suggesting this for the texture pack community as well, as I make background texture packs that not only look worse due to these changes, but 1.4's increased scaling of backgrounds makes texture packs very difficult to test out. Now you have to worry about screen resolution sizes for each player, whereas before it was always one uniform size. With this toggle, we texture pack creators can simply tell users to turn off background scaling.

Since there's sure to be a few minor updates left at the very least, please consider adding at least a toggle to fix this. Better yet, a slider allowing the player to scale backgrounds to their choosing would be even more ideal -- much like the current zoom option, but for backgrounds only. Although a simple toggle will suffice just fine. While I don't see many on this forum clamoring for this, I assure you that are many speaking on this elsewhere who would greatly-appreciate such a minor yet invaluable improvement to the game.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom