Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Hi, since the 1.4 update i have had very bad performance after about 20-40 minutes of playing. Before this i am running the game at stable 60fps at 1050x1680 with max settings. After that, my fps drops to about 10 fps after slowly declining. When it is at low fps, the game is using a low amount of cpu (~8-10%) compared to before (~40%). Memory consumption stays the same.
Restarting the game does not fix the issue. Restarting my PC inconsistently fixes it.

I have tried changing all settings (frame-skip, fullscreen, resolution etc) but none seem to make a difference. I have tried windows compatibility for full screen optimisation, reinstalled the game and its dependencies zand excluded terraria from antivirus, but nothing seems to work. I have thoroughly searched (reinstalled drivers, made sure nothing else is using cpu etc) my computer but nothing seems to be working.

I have pretty much narrowed this down to a bug in the game, but i have found no errors or game crashes.

Thanks.

Dumb question, are you on a laptop or desktop? Somewhat related, have you double-checked your system's power settings? It almost sounds like your system is throttling its CPU (and/or GPU on systems with only integrated graphics). Restarting inconsistently correcting the issue and simply restarting the game makes it sound like the CPU (or GPU?) hasn't been allowed to cool sufficiently between game sessions.

I'd try setting the power settings to maximum performance and seeing if that helps. Otherwise, once you see the slow down, exit the game and let the system idle for like 10-15 minutes and try the game again. If it works well again, it probably means your system is thermal-limited. 1.4 added a lot of eye-candy, so maybe turn down/off some of the graphics options. This might help, especially if you're on a laptop with just integrated graphics.

Im, on a desktop, it shouldnt be power settings but ill see.

This occurs on no other games (60fps on AC Odyssey with max settings etc) so im pretty sure it isnt my PC

Thanks for the reply

Huh, then that's pretty weird. Only other thing I can think of is AV software, but usually a restart would fix those cases, plus you've already looked at that. (Personal anecdote: MBAM's newest versions would cause audio/video desyncing and/or lagging on my system after its been on for a day or more continuously. I'd have to restart or kill MBAM to correct the issue. I no longer have it auto-start on boot....)

We are looking into some performance related improvements, we'll be continuing to improve stuff with each hotfix, so hopefully that will improve this issue!

Back
Top Bottom