1.4.4 Summoner Minion, Whip & Armor In-Depth Tier List

Sorry mate, this game gives me a migraine when I play it. I literally don't care enough about the opinions of some random no-life SoC-using nerd on the internet. It's fun to see that you are as insufferably stupid as the Undertale community, who love to pretend that Sans is a hard fight, or as MrSephy, another no-lifer SoC-using nerd who still managed to die to Skeletron while playing seriously despite having around 1 year's worth of playtime.

If it makes you think I'm all-talk, sure, go ahead, but I simply do not have the passion required to spend 1 week planning route and 1 day TEditing the whole thing to beat the boss. I have nothing to prove to a bunch of low-skill nerds who think that Terraria is mechanically intensive at all.

Also I cannot stand 1.3.5.3 at all. After playing 1.4, 1.3.5.3 gives me an even worse splitting headache every time I try to play it. I have better things to do with my life than to play a mod which literally gives you eye strain because of the dark colors.
Yes, I agree. Please go away.

Wouldn't you just be better off using a weapon from a different class in this case? It has better dps than pre hardmode whips but for hardmode weapon standards its dps is very poor.
You could even use a melee weapon to take advantage of sharpened.

Also wouldn't firecracker still be better with blades? Blade damage is like 6 + 7 from spinal tap tag is 13, multiply that by 1.75 = 22. Add that to firecracker's 40 damage and you effectively get 62 damage per firecracker swing vs cool whip's 50.
In my Twins tests Cool Whip with Blade Staff outperformed Firecracker with Blade Staff, so your calculations must be wrong, or there are factors you didn't take into account.

Guys, stop this BS. We are here about ranking summoner stuff!
yeh and i'm telling you half your rankings are :red:.

like seriously, first of all, ranking things from A-F is pretty stupid. Pirate Staff is very good for invasions in general if you get it via. RNG but it's pretty :red: if you don't. Can also be an alternative to Optic Staff with a bit more prep for Destroyer. A rank.

Vampire Frog is literally cheesable. You should be able to get it the moment you get Blood Moon. As for that, it's a lot like Pirate Staff where it's god tier if you get it, but not worth specifically waiting for a blood moon for. A rank.

Sanguine Staff should be much lower on the list because Dreadnautilus is harder than Fishron if you don't cheese and/or facetank it, again, because his :red: is hard to see. I would not grind for Dreadnautilus even on a bloodmoon. If you can do legit Dreadnautilus you can do Fishron. The drop rates are honestly similar. B rank, because you could be getting Blade Staff instead.

Optic Staff is literally a core item for Destroyer and a decent alternative to Pirate Staff for invasions. Ranking it as B- shows how bad you are at the game. From pure RNG you should get Black Lens by the time you kill Twins. If you don't then just do Fishron for Tempest Staff or something. Similar RNG, but you get a better weapon which can ping things behind walls, click on Lunatic Cultist, kill Prismatic Lacewings, etc. S rank, because it might as well be guaranteed.

Pygmy Staff is remarkably OK against Golem. With 1 whip you get decent damage. It's not :red: by any means but it's no big loss if you don't get it. Optic and Blade is pretty fine too for Golem. B rank.

The only truly bad staves are Slime and Hornet staves, because they literally have no niche. If you are not carrying 1 of Optic/Desert Tiger/Deadly Sphere/Pirate/Tempest you will have a bad time in invasions.

Really, the only staves I would go out of my way to grind are Flinx, Imp, Spider and Blade staves. The others are nice if you get them, but no big deal if you don't. Just go kill a Fishron.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, this game gives me a migraine when I play it. I literally don't care enough about the opinions of some random no-life SoC-using nerd on the internet. It's fun to see that you are as insufferably stupid as the Undertale community, who love to pretend that Sans is a hard fight, or as MrSephy, another no-lifer SoC-using nerd who still managed to die to Skeletron while playing seriously despite having around 1 year's worth of playtime.

If it makes you think I'm all-talk, sure, go ahead, but I simply do not have the passion required to spend 1 week planning route and 1 day TEditing the whole thing to beat the boss. I have nothing to prove to a bunch of low-skill nerds who think that Terraria is mechanically intensive at all.

Also I cannot stand 1.3.5.3 at all. After playing 1.4, 1.3.5.3 gives me an even worse splitting headache every time I try to play it. I have better things to do with my life than to play a mod which literally gives you eye strain because of the dark colors.

Maybe if there's a Calamity texture pack which fixes the major issues of Calamity's graphics (lack of readability, dark colors) I might play it. Again, the hard part of Terraria is trying to not faint because the game is so dimly-lit that you either strain your eyes or step on a random pressure plate.
Say this when your playing other games then, basically your a "nerd" if you know about the game and had experience in it, troll account

Say this when your playing other games then, basically your a "nerd" if you know about the game and had experience in it, troll account
lol "know about the game"

I literally have the absolute best general mechanical knowledge on this game in this forum, which is not really saying much because this forum (and Twitch Terraria in general) are a bunch of low-skills who rely on SoC for every boss, ever.

Meanwhile you can somehow still die to Skeletron. I don't know how. The only time I've died to skeletron is when I'm purposefully throwing game for :red:s and giggles or playing when half asleep. Esp in this OP powercreeped patch where Fledgling Wings exist.

It's really bizarre to see a community who no-lifed the game with less mechanical skill than one guy with only 5 1.3 Expert runs (1 per class, and 1 for the Space Gun Laser Rifle Heat Ray character on a rail) and 2 1.4 Master runs (1 on non-FTW and 1 on FTW after I learnt about it, both Summoner). I just occasionally come back to the game to practice a few WoF runs every 6 months or something and join the occasional twitch streamer world.

Bet you still make arenas for WoF

Last edited:
Oh yeah, more stuff.

I raised Dark Harvest from S- to S because it's just as essential as Durendal in general

I lowered Kaleidoscope from S to S- because while it's still just as massively powerful, obtaining it is still somewhat difficult and it's worth taking into account that there are alternatives for beating Pillars & ML (Obsidian/Firecracker/Dragon and Whipless Dragon with Spooky or defensive Hallowed)

terraria is all about managing player motivation and not getting a fever because you are stuck in a horrid tunnel or having your full concentration devoted to dodging every single desert mob or something. it's literally the hardest part of the game.

you can memorize the perfect pattern to no hit every boss with far more relative ease than, say, Rabi-Ribi or Touhou. you can't change the fact that the bat will tilt you if you don't have enough damage.

i would honestly go all the way and claim that the player should spend as little time underground as possible, mainly because that environment is designed to absolutely tilt the player with its cabin-fever environment, traps, random enclosed spaces, random lava that you fell into because you were trying to go through a 1 block hole, the general excruciating experience of digging a tunnel, etc. You will run out of patience eventually and will decide to rush through the entire biome without regards to any caution, then you will die to the absolutely stupidest bat nonsense, then you will tilt even more.
hence anything which involves moving around the underground should be kept at an absolute minimum (use hell to make easy hallow/corruption farms, collect only 3 screens' worth of crystals and tp out of there, etc.

jungle is honestly the only tolerable biome (once you get post-evil boss items), because at least it's made of mud so you can just dig through everything, and also no worms and little in the way of traps.
this mans actually just a troll. there's no way that someone could simultaneously be so prideful of their elitist skill level and yet still claim that all of everything underground is completely unavoidable and that there are no tactics to avoiding danger and death to bats and lava and traps is guaranteed given even just three minutes of time there.

Terraria isn't about managing your rage or tilt or whatever. It's about developing the best tactics of survival whilst also discovering new things and exploring new places, but clearly you've never done either of those things, so now the best parts of the game become the worst for you. Let yourself have some fun! I honestly question why you even play games if you like making it so brutally frustrating for yourself by not learning or adapting to your environment, taking even the slightest bit of challenge as a personal attack on you.
Fossil armor just isn't practical. UD is there hardest prehardmode biome and if I do decide to go there I'd much rather have an extra 1,800 bone throwing knives (only weapon worth rushing UD for).
Underground desert after 1.4.1 still requires you to be a lot more careful than most other biomes, but regardless it's no longer anywhere near the hardest prehm biome anymore. Unlike with boulder traps, you can often use nearby rolling cacti to help you kill the enemies much faster, and you can dodge them long after triggering, or just trigger them from a safe position. I regularly go down to the desert now with nothing but a silver+ pick, a grappling hook of any measure, and whatever early weapon suits my class, even something as basic as a cactus sword.
You can also get Fossil Pickaxe that way, which is apparently slightly faster than Gold/Platinum Pickaxes while having the same mining power.
Since platinum (15 mining speed) is already 12% faster than gold (17), the comparison is usually between fossil (14) and gold, since that's a much more impressive 18% faster compared to only 6% faster. but yes it is very nice to have the additional speed; even if both the reaver shark (13) and bone pickaxe (11) are faster than it, fossil's available a lot more quickly and easily.

<snip>

No, Shyguymask, playing a garbage mod where the devs are too bad at programming to allow you to reposition the Squirrel Squire by reusing the staff is not a big accomplishment. It's called being good at tapping the space bar.
Also, play with Armageddon and Defiled Rune on. Mod is no challenge without it. Literally just play Calamity like Rabi-Ribi instead of Terraria and it becomes piss-easy.

No, Shyguymask, beating Daytime EoL without using the 30x30 or what have you square array of platforms that span 4 screens wide or something is NOT an achievement. It's just a testament to your commitment of building 4 screens' worth of 30x30 platforms.....but you probably TEdited it in anyway. Also, Rod of Discord.
Not everyone wants to just cheese most of the game and rush it.

You talk really boldly and confidently.

Seriously, who are you? Did you even achieve any of the stuff you're claiming and calling "easy" like Daytime Empress no WASD or even beating Calamity Death Mode? Do you have some videos of yourself playing the game even? All you do here is calling everything "ez ez ez ez ez" and pretending you are the next Ningishu/Yrimir or something. Until you prove to me you're not just all-talk, I won't take future "lol this is ez duuuuuuuude" claims seriously.

Indeed, EoL is easy if you resort to cheating and using a script...

You aren't as clever as you think you are.

<snip>
Haha nah, I like pissing you nerds off
This thread has devolved into personal jabs and gone off topic. When your message is about another person and what you think of them, instead of talking about the topic of the thread, that’s when things have crossed the line.

Please get back on topic (thank you to those that have been trying to), stop worrying about who’s good at the game (guys, no one cares), and stop poking at each other.

Simply put, if it continues you’ll be removed from the thread.

And lastly, accusing others of being a troll is not needed. If it looks like a troll, just report it, and then give it the attention it deserves, which is none.

this mans actually just a troll. there's no way that someone could simultaneously be so prideful of their elitist skill level and yet still claim that all of everything underground is completely unavoidable and that there are no tactics to avoiding danger and death to bats and lava and traps is guaranteed given even just three minutes of time there.
It's not "unavoidable", it's tilting. You will avoid it if you spend only 3 minutes of your time there. You won't if you spend more than that.
Terraria isn't about managing your rage or tilt or whatever. It's about developing the best tactics of survival
Do you know what the absolute best tactics for survival is? Tunneling. Boxing hornets. Does that sound fun to you? No. You will basically tilt by the 30 minute mark if you play like that. So what do you do? You tunnel when unsafe, and do rush + box. Then you run into a position where the only way to go through a horde of mobs without tunnelling is to literally jump through them. Then you jump through them. You have a 90% chance of succeeding because you are jumping through fog. Then you get so bored of this underground :red: that you literally spam Grapple and jump and torch to get it over with. Then you die to a stupid trap (which takes the form of either a falling mob, a mob which looks the same as the background, or a literal trap) because you are just so sick of this whole "spending time in a tunnel" thing, and because the color of a bat looks almost the same as the color of the background, and also scrolling the screen gives you a literal migraine because of how Terraria's graphics engine works.

That's tilt.

Underground desert after 1.4.1 still requires you to be a lot more careful than most other biomes, but regardless it's no longer anywhere near the hardest prehm biome anymore.
The only biome harder than Underground Desert is Hell if you are building a hellbridge.

That being said, there are no truly hard biomes in preHM. There's only worm nonsense which you can't tunnel away from. The difficulty of a biome is hence correlated to the ability of a player to manfight a worm, which is high once you get Snapthorn.

Though I have to concede: preHM underground desert is actually the least tilting biome due to its bright color scheme, extremely segmented layout, and large enemy sprites. Too bad I often get 400 Life before Snapthorn due to Bestiary shenanigans....but it's remarkably good if you are in a multiplayer server, or you are Melee or any other class who handles worms well early.

Last edited:
I did use Deadly Sphere staff for a bit during a 1.4.1 summoner run on Master just to check on the new progression updates. I'd definitely bump it up to low-B or high-C - if Blade starts to lag a bit post-Plantera and you haven't gotten Sanguine yet, its a solid substitute for Lunatic Cultist/Golem. Also good crowd control for post-Plantera events, since it can act independently of LoS and have decent damage without any whip support.

I do agree that many post-Plantera summons are solidly outclassed by Sanguine/Blade, and its really in one's best interest to get both and swap between them as necessary.

I did use Deadly Sphere staff for a bit during a 1.4.1 summoner run on Master just to check on the new progression updates. I'd definitely bump it up to low-B or high-C - if Blade starts to lag a bit post-Plantera and you haven't gotten Sanguine yet, its a solid substitute for Lunatic Cultist/Golem. Also good crowd control for post-Plantera events, since it can act independently of LoS and have decent damage without any whip support.

I do agree that many post-Plantera summons are solidly outclassed by Sanguine/Blade, and its really in one's best interest to get both and swap between them as necessary.
Or you could just set up an small AFK farm in the desert for the Desert Key and obtain a much more powerful summon that doesn't require facing an event.

Or you could just set up an small AFK farm in the desert for the Desert Key and obtain a much more powerful summon that doesn't require facing an event.
You can't control whether the event happens or not, so if it does, you may as well try your luck.

Tiger is still stronger though, albeit MUCH rarer.

Deadly Sphere Staff is outright weaker than Blade Staff though.
Like i said, just bump it up a little bit. Lunatic Cultist doesn't suffer from Ichor debuffs so Blade's piercing falls off quite a bit. You can get rather lucky with the drop anyways. Its just a bit more viable than you think.

Like i said, just bump it up a little bit. Lunatic Cultist doesn't suffer from Ichor debuffs so Blade's piercing falls off quite a bit. You can get rather lucky with the drop anyways. Its just a bit more viable than you think.
If I want an alternative to Blade/Sanguine there's Raven Staff or Desert Tiger Staff, two other summons that are way better than Deadly Sphere Staff.

Back
Top Bottom