tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

I think the sprites of TerraGuardians Are OK. What i think that Needs Resprites are the Weapons and armors For the TerraGuardian, But there are the Little TerraGuardians that is little bit Hard to Understand the Sprites :T
PD: Did the Forums fell down?

I think the sprites of TerraGuardians Are OK. What i think that Needs Resprites are the Weapons and armors For the TerraGuardian, But there are the Little TerraGuardians that is little bit Hard to Understand the Sprites :T
PD: Did the Forums fell down?
Actually, at least for some weapons and armors, I didn't really spent much effort. I just did their sprites... So they have one. I even placed description to some of those items making jokes about my own sprites on them.

And yep, the forums went down for two entire days. It's back now, and looks like my timing was perfect, because I was the first one to post on the update thread, hahaha.

Starting to get a little annoyed about how guardians use up some of our personal bonuses sometimes.

If our equipment adds a chance to debuff on attack, that can be triggered by guardians as well, just like it can with summons in a lot of cases, but that's not so bad, and actually kind of nice as an extra bonus for them. One mod I've been using however has an Assassin "class" (in the form of a craftable accessory) which buffs the player's damage for their next melee attack if they don't hit anything for a few seconds. Guardians are consuming that buff when they attack, and their continued attacking prevents it from re-applying.

I guess maybe the guardians' attacks count as ours? Like a summon? I never did see if their first melee strike gets a boost though.

Most mods don't have TerraGuardians in mind when it comes to special abilities for a player. Is there any way to fix it here, like having a guardian's damage count as a different player? I mean I can just not have a guardian around when I want to take advantage of that bonus, too, or change to a class that doesn't use that sort of thing.

🤔

Now I'm thinking about how another mod that adds leveling and experience still gives experience to the player even if an enemy is killed by something like lava. Another case of something the player isn't personally involved in affecting them.

Also,
View attachment 271704
Good thing that I had an update to launch, or else I would not know there were new message here.

Yep, the guardians attacks actually counts as yours. I added a kind of "player masking" system, which swaps the player infos with the guardian infos when updating projectiles, and then return the player infos after the projectile ends updating, or is destroyed. As you can wonder, not everything is masked by that (like mod specific instructions). That's actually the only way I found to make projectiles launched by guardians hurt monsters, because Terraria Itself will only count damages from projectiles launched by the player currently in control of the character. It's a vanilla game thing.

Mods that gives experience by monsters killed in diverse ways probably shares the experience to all players in the world, or players nearby the killed monster. That's actually good if you're not playing alone, but is weird If no player actually interacted to that monster (attacked it). You gained experience by watching a monster die? Funny, isn't?

And looks like It's Irene's birthday, I wonder how he's celebrating.

Remember that update for the mod I launched Friday? Well, here's the hotfix.
Rococo and Sardine gained readjustment on some animations. Most notable, the upper-left frame of the item use animation.
The game will no longer spam messages saying that the guardian was knocked out cold, when they die with the new knock out system.
You will now know when guardians wakes up from knockout.
Fixed Domino's arms when reviving someone.
Readjusted some revive messages from Blue and Leopold.
My bad for letting that death bug pass, but ever since I added the knocked out cold state, I didn't tested the death while knocked out state. Meanwhile, I found two more bugs that could happen, causing your guardians, and possibly your character too, to "ascend to heaven" while spamming the message "x blacked out." in the chat.

Also fixed Domino's arms when reviving someone. It was extremelly weird to see him having two pairs of arms reviving someone.

Enjoy :D

Heh, there's only one way of finding out. Wait, local co-op...
You're playing It with someone?

By myself. You can use two controllers or keyboard/mouse with the gamepad that is set as the 2nd player.

You know. I wonder if it's possible to make a mod where you can load another character from your saves. I would love to see this happen one day. With TerraGuardians you already created a way to load another character that has basic AI and inventory. You can even give them equipment. The fact that another controller works means a lot.

Last edited:
Before TerraGuardians, there was N Terraria and their NPPlayers system, where you could call as followers other characters in your save files.
That's not doable on tModLoader, because I would need to make several work arounds to make the other player characters be recognized like the local player by the game.

Hey guys, while I've been preparing some new things in the mod, I may have actually missed some bugs and issues from the hotfix.
Some of them I've managed to fix, like a number of Sardine's animations, but possibly there may be more. If you find an issue in the mod, be sure to report. Beside, I think that Nemesis may end up showing lots of issues, since Terrarian companion drawing scripts aren't very advanced.

And since the tModLoader update to Terraria 1.4 may be coming some time, maybe It's nice If we prepare the mod to it.
Feedbacks, suggestions, bug reports, or what you feel that would be nice to the mod, feel free to say, and we'll discuss. If we both get in an agreement, I can try adding to the mod. Beside a lot of systems still need revamp, like the request system.

Hello and sorry for Google.

This mod was able to regain my interest in the game, which the new version 1.4 couldn't do (except for a new level of complexity).

1. In two days of playing with the mod, I found a few problems, they are small, but still:

1.1 Poor display of wings on the guards, which I did not immediately notice. With solar wings, I generally first saw a wound on the nose (the guard was well beaten), but it turned out to be wings;
1.2 Time of revived - very long. In addition, in the dungeon, I was faced with the fact that i died from the boss near the wall, the guard finished him off and simple mobs remained. Because of this, I had to restart the game. After all, the mobs attacked weakly in order to kill, but strongly, in order to prevent me from reviving (mobs attacked through the walls);
1.3 Would like to correct the pick up of items. Sometimes, apparently, something “hits” the head of the guard and he goes through the crowd to collect objects, courageously enduring the pain from the blows of mobs and not attacking in response.

That's all for now. It should have been more, but I forgot) If I recall - I’ll write

2. Now to the Wishlist:

2.1 Dragon-girl. I always liked them, so I hope you add her in the mod;
2.2 In "N Terraria Mod" there was an opportunity to send companions to investigate, but it was poorly implemented (they quickly got stuck). Companions are smarter here, so, can you implement it?
2.3 Correct order "Wait Here". I would like an increased distance of departure from the position by the guards. Better, that they try to circle around a point, jumping over enemies and teleporting as a last resort. At the moment, the allowed distance is very small, because of which they can easily die in a mob of mobs.

Wrote without notes, so also less than it should be)

I do not put it on the list, It is more interest than wish and is hardly possible:
"NPC Spawner" as in the "NPC Spawner +" mod for Starbound. It would be cool to create one)

That's all for now. Sorry for Google again. The mod is cool and it is a pity that I did not know about him before. Will follow the progress.

Good luck!

Hello and sorry for Google.

This mod was able to regain my interest in the game, which the new version 1.4 couldn't do (except for a new level of complexity).

1. In two days of playing with the mod, I found a few problems, they are small, but still:

1.1 Poor display of wings on the guards, which I did not immediately notice. With solar wings, I generally first saw a wound on the nose (the guard was well beaten), but it turned out to be wings;
1.2 Time of revived - very long. In addition, in the dungeon, I was faced with the fact that i died from the boss near the wall, the guard finished him off and simple mobs remained. Because of this, I had to restart the game. After all, the mobs attacked weakly in order to kill, but strongly, in order to prevent me from reviving (mobs attacked through the walls);
1.3 Would like to correct the pick up of items. Sometimes, apparently, something “hits” the head of the guard and he goes through the crowd to collect objects, courageously enduring the pain from the blows of mobs and not attacking in response.

That's all for now. It should have been more, but I forgot) If I recall - I’ll write

2. Now to the Wishlist:

2.1 Dragon-girl. I always liked them, so I hope you add her in the mod;
2.2 In "N Terraria Mod" there was an opportunity to send companions to investigate, but it was poorly implemented (they quickly got stuck). Companions are smarter here, so, can you implement it?
2.3 Correct order "Wait Here". I would like an increased distance of departure from the position by the guards. Better, that they try to circle around a point, jumping over enemies and teleporting as a last resort. At the moment, the allowed distance is very small, because of which they can easily die in a mob of mobs.

Wrote without notes, so also less than it should be)

I do not put it on the list, It is more interest than wish and is hardly possible:
"NPC Spawner" as in the "NPC Spawner +" mod for Starbound. It would be cool to create one)

That's all for now. Sorry for Google again. The mod is cool and it is a pity that I did not know about him before. Will follow the progress.

Good luck!
What the hell Google...

Well, I think I have an idea of what you're saying, maybe that's another one of life's puzzles, hehe.

1. Let's see...
    1. You mean that wings are being displayed when the guardian is defeated?
    2. The part of revive being too long I got but... You're using the new revive system, right? Was the screen black when your character was knocked out? When the character is knocked out with a black screen, you can press the Grappling Hook key to force your character to die. That way, you don't have to wait for guardians to try reviving. Beside there is another point too, If the npcs attacks are very weak, they will hinder the revive/death, so It can lead to character stuck. I'll try adding something to make the player lose health from weak attacks in some way.
    3. Wops, I guess It's a good time to review the loot AI.
  2. That will be interesting
    1. At least now I have an idea for the future dragon companion, now I wonder, she will stand on 4 or 2 legs?
    2. I kind of get what you mean, but wasn't a "investigate" system, was a "wander" AI. The problem of implementing a Wander AI, is that there must be a purpose for them to. But I guess It would go fitting on town companions. If I could allow them to use furnitures, I can allow them to pass their time in diverse ways, right?
    3. The distance being small was quite of intended, but I understand that they can end up getting killed when trying to wait in some point. The "Wait Here" AI was intended to be a kind of "Protect Mode" for the area, but doesn't seems to work very well. I'll try revamping the AI to make the guardians think more rationally when waiting in some place.
Oh, you want custom companions? I thought about the idea of at a certain point of the mod development, allowing the player to create their "TerraGuardian Avatar", but I guess the Terrarian companions will do for now.

As I said to another player before, I can try implementing that system later. First, let me bump a bit the number of Terrarian guardians in the mod, so I can continue improving their system.

Enjoy your gameplay :)

What the hell Google...

Well, I think I have an idea of what you're saying, maybe that's another one of life's puzzles, hehe.

1. Let's see...
    1. You mean that wings are being displayed when the guardian is defeated?
    2. The part of revive being too long I got but... You're using the new revive system, right? Was the screen black when your character was knocked out? When the character is knocked out with a black screen, you can press the Grappling Hook key to force your character to die. That way, you don't have to wait for guardians to try reviving. Beside there is another point too, If the npcs attacks are very weak, they will hinder the revive/death, so It can lead to character stuck. I'll try adding something to make the player lose health from weak attacks in some way.
    3. Wops, I guess It's a good time to review the loot AI.
  2. That will be interesting
    1. At least now I have an idea for the future dragon companion, now I wonder, she will stand on 4 or 2 legs?
    2. I kind of get what you mean, but wasn't a "investigate" system, was a "wander" AI. The problem of implementing a Wander AI, is that there must be a purpose for them to. But I guess It would go fitting on town companions. If I could allow them to use furnitures, I can allow them to pass their time in diverse ways, right?
    3. The distance being small was quite of intended, but I understand that they can end up getting killed when trying to wait in some point. The "Wait Here" AI was intended to be a kind of "Protect Mode" for the area, but doesn't seems to work very well. I'll try revamping the AI to make the guardians think more rationally when waiting in some place.
Oh, you want custom companions? I thought about the idea of at a certain point of the mod development, allowing the player to create their "TerraGuardian Avatar", but I guess the Terrarian companions will do for now.

As I said to another player before, I can try implementing that system later. First, let me bump a bit the number of Terrarian guardians in the mod, so I can continue improving their system.

Enjoy your gameplay :)

Hehe... I really tried to make it more clear, it’s hard myself, but I have to :)

1.1 No, I mean that they are depicted crookedly. Not only at the time of death. Even on the Nemesis;
1.2 The problem will be solved by acceleration of revive. "Left 4 Dead" as an example, and others like that. Now the revive is very long, it is of little use. Can leave this time for one player. But if a player is revived by a companion, then it should be much faster;
1.3 Here I see, You understood :)

2.1 On 2;
2.2 Here I don't understood :) If the city companions be wandering somewhere, it will be great;
2.3 As I wrote, it would be nice to implement maneuvering between mobs. Now the companions simply step back, and if they try, for example, to jump the mob so as not to move far from the point, they will look much livelier. But I myself am zero in this matter, so see for yourself :) (Difficult sentence. I hope Google clearly conveyed the meaning)

The main thing is that I found out that you can try to add such a system. When - it doesn’t matter.

That's all for now, I hope I wrote it clearly :)
Beautiful.png

Hehe... I really tried to make it more clear, it’s hard myself, but I have to :)

1.1 No, I mean that they are depicted crookedly. Not only at the time of death. Even on the Nemesis;
1.2 The problem will be solved by acceleration of revive. "Left 4 Dead" as an example, and others like that. Now the revive is very long, it is of little use. Can leave this time for one player. But if a player is revived by a companion, then it should be much faster;
1.3 Here I see, You understood :)

2.1 On 2;
2.2 Here I don't understood :) If the city companions be wandering somewhere, it will be great;
2.3 As I wrote, it would be nice to implement maneuvering between mobs. Now the companions simply step back, and if they try, for example, to jump the mob so as not to move far from the point, they will look much livelier. But I myself am zero in this matter, so see for yourself :) (Difficult sentence. I hope Google clearly conveyed the meaning)

The main thing is that I found out that you can try to add such a system. When - it doesn’t matter.

That's all for now, I hope I wrote it clearly :)
1.1 I'll try checking what I can do about the wings, beside possibly I placed their positioning incorrectly. Maybe Terraria Itself can help me figure out how wings works.
1.2 The revive system is kind of a bit intended to penalize for being knocked out, even more for having the characters be knocked out cold, but I have to say by experience, that It's extremelly awful trying to revive your companions when they are in that state. I'll speed up the revive power of everyone on the mod, but at least on Expert Mode, It will still take a bit long to have someone revived.

2.2 I'll try finding out how I can make the companions wander around the world sometime.
2.3 I think you're the third person who suggests allowing companions to jump over monsters. As for now, I'll try thinking how I'll do that, heh.

Google translator really seems to love making people try to figure out what is written. I think I were able to get what you said.

Have fun.

1.1 I'll try checking what I can do about the wings, beside possibly I placed their positioning incorrectly. Maybe Terraria Itself can help me figure out how wings works.
1.2 The revive system is kind of a bit intended to penalize for being knocked out, even more for having the characters be knocked out cold, but I have to say by experience, that It's extremelly awful trying to revive your companions when they are in that state. I'll speed up the revive power of everyone on the mod, but at least on Expert Mode, It will still take a bit long to have someone revived.

2.2 I'll try finding out how I can make the companions wander around the world sometime.
2.3 I think you're the third person who suggests allowing companions to jump over monsters. As for now, I'll try thinking how I'll do that, heh.

Google translator really seems to love making people try to figure out what is written. I think I were able to get what you said.

Have fun.

Now I got the answers to my questions... Probably :)

But the last thing is all about the revive system (I'm sorry that I won’t leave you behind, I just liked this system always). Then what about the revive limit in one life, but with a normal time (5-10 seconds)? As an additional option - for player, not companion. Is it possible to do? Long revive time will gradually begin to annoy, forcing to choose death better, removing the system to nothing. But limit would be good, you can even come up with various debuffs so that there is a punishment.

Although okay, I won't torment you're further :)
What exactly you’ll modify I can’t understand exactly. Because of Google. Just will follow the changes.

Now I got the answers to my questions... Probably :)

But the last thing is all about the revive system (I'm sorry that I won’t leave you behind, I just liked this system always). Then what about the revive limit in one life, but with a normal time (5-10 seconds)? As an additional option - for player, not companion. Is it possible to do? Long revive time will gradually begin to annoy, forcing to choose death better, removing the system to nothing. But limit would be good, you can even come up with various debuffs so that there is a punishment.

Although okay, I won't torment you're further :)
What exactly you’ll modify I can’t understand exactly. Because of Google. Just will follow the changes.
I've thought about debuffs being inflicted on the ones who just got revived, like a kind of injury. I'll have to study how I'll make their effect, so there is a penalty, but the player wont preffer to die over being resurrected and have the debuff. And also make them stack, so you gain a stronger version of the debuff if the character is knocked out while having a version of it (Maybe a 2 levels debuff is already good).

Hey Nakano, got a suggestion for you.

Could you add some more detailed stats to the Guardian's equipment? Like where it says their defense rate and accuracy, could you add their melee damage modifier and attack speed modifier? I don't like not knowing how they work and what the exact numbers are.

Hey Nakano, got a suggestion for you.

Could you add some more detailed stats to the Guardian's equipment? Like where it says their defense rate and accuracy, could you add their melee damage modifier and attack speed modifier? I don't like not knowing how they work and what the exact numbers are.
I can! :D
How do i freakin get MoonLord as a company??? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
You can have It's company, the problem is that he'll keep trying to kill you all the time.

New TerraGuardians update is out. It isn't as big as Terraria 1.4 update changelog but... Well... Still big.
Pack Leader now only works with TerraGuardians.
Changed how drawing companions works.
Did a few revamps on Bree sprites.
Guardians will now stop reviving someone when they are repelling some enemy.
Fixed Sardine's animations.
To revive someone, now you need to stay inside the hitbox of the one who's defeated, then hold the left mouse button.
The mod will no longer give absurd amounts of coins based on enemy rank defeated.
Guardians will now try reviving anyone when being pushed by the wind.
Possibly some fixes to companion loot annoyance.
Readjusted Mabel's sitting position by a pixel.
You can no longer change leadership while controlling a guardian.
Trust me, better like that. You don't want to end up breaking the matrix, right?​
Reduced the chance of the same guardian repeating their dialogues when reviving someone.
Guardians will now forget what they were attacking when either teleporting, respawning, or leaving downed state.
Boosted revive speed.
Even though there is a boost, the revive time will be slower on expert mode, compared to normal.​
Fixed a bug where you would gain 4 revive bonus when your character is knocked out, while mounted on guardian.
Added a change to the revive system, the character will be injured after revive.
The injury buffs have two levels:​
Injury: Reduces maximum health by 5%, Reduces defense by 5. Health value regained after revive reduced by 25%.​
Heavy Injury: Reduces maximum health by 10%, Reduces defense by 10. Health value regained after revive reduced by 50%.​
The health value upon revive is of MHP / 2 + ReviveCount * 10. ReviveCount is increased based on number of allies reviving someone. An extra count is given if TerraGuardians aren't targetting any monster.​
The Injury debuff is acquired once a character leaves knocked out state. Heavy Injury debuff is acquired if someone is revived while with the Injury debuff.​
Each debuff can be healed by the Nurse.​
Companions will now look for downed allies more far away when in a town.
The mod interfaces will no longer be hidden when your character is knocked out.
Now you have better information to know if is there someone able to revive you nearby.​
Added a new order for telling a companion to wait some place. Companions using It will no longer be restricted to an area near where they are waiting, but will try returning to the place they were set to wait, when there's no foes nearby.
Did the following change to the new order hud.
The command for allowing the guardian to control It's movement when player is mounted was moved to Action session.​
Companions will try staying in the place you designated like as If you have used Wait Here order, so their movement isn't limited.​
Added the Guard Here order to Order session.​
Companions will no longer priorize looting items over defending themselves from monsters.
Fixed a bug where town npc companions couldn't be revived. Somehow.
Companions will no longer be shown lying down when they are in the air due to a hit, while knocked out.
You will now better know when someone is being revived by your character.
Changed when the Revive bar will be drawn on the guardian, from when drawing the guardian sprites, to when drawing interface.
Guardians will now be displayed differently when trying to revive a player that is mounted on a guardian.
You can no longer control Terrarian type companions.
Michelle arrives.
You can check more infos about the companions on their equipment infos.
Only TerraGuardians can use Ether Heart, Ether Fruits and Guardian Potions now.
Added some more tutorials.
Tutorial for Orders, Requests, Knock Out and Vanity items.​
Implemented a new friendship rank system to the mod.
Your character will have a friendship ranking. To rise the friendship ranking, you need to increase the friendship rank exp, which is acquired from increasing friendship level with your companions.​
The friendship ranking now affects how many assist guardians you can have with you. It's about the same requirement as before, but for example, instead of needing to meet 2 companions to call another one, you need Friendship Rank 2 or above, instead.​
The maximum number of assist guardians you can have were increased to 5.
Nerfed the Max Health gain the npcs get based on the gem ranking.
Companions now gets the Chilled debuff when they enter water on snowlands, in a expert mode world.
The maximum number of Ether Hearts a request can give now, is 1.
Well, to begin with, say hello to Michelle, the Adventurer.
michelle.png
Michelle: "I think I just logged in on heaven. Wow!"

She were looking for a world to venture with someone on, until she met the TerraGuardians. Now she's your personal TerraGuardians fan girl.
She has the status of a Terrarian, and as you can see, she really looks a lot like a normal player character. The only problem is that when placing a helmet... Well, in her case isn't that bad, It actually looks cool. I wonder what would happen if companions with other hair styles used helmets, and had their hair shown, though.

You want to find her? Well... That's the tricky part, because you need to walk exactly 120 tiles to the left, without changing your vertical position. Then climb a rope 45 tiles upwards, and then shot 35 Demon Eyes without moving or being hurt. Then you need to invoke the Eye of Cthulhu, kill it with a stomp in the head, then you have to give a High Five on the Moon Lord right arm, while It's eye is closed. And... Meh... You don't need to do anything like that. All you need is to have at least one point of defense. :3

Why I gave away how to recruit her? Well... I'm pretty sure there are people looking for having player character companions, that's the closest I can do. Beside, I guess It may be fun, even more to expand the lore. Now I have to stop talking about this, or else I'll dream high about the system again, and start theorizing what I could do with it.

On other news, the new Friendship Ranking system is in.
The Friendship Ranking is... Yet another leveling system, if you preffer, which the exp increases based on the sum of all companions friendship levels.
I made the system in a way where you wont have to grind your companions to be able to level It up, for each level, you'll need 3 + FriendshipRank / 5 companion friendship levels to be able to rise the rank.

The ranks will replace the requirement of companions met to increase the maximum number of companions you can have following you, but the value required to have more companions following you didn't changed. Bellow I'll show the table telling how many Friendship Ranks you need to get more companions.
Friendship RankingAssist Companion Count

You may be wondering... How you can rise the friendship ranking fast anyway? Well... The answer is simple. Have companions accompany you on your quests, and/or do the requests of the companions. That will increase their friendship ranking.

And to finish, I added a few tutorial messages to the mod. Those tutorial messages will be triggered whenever you try doing something, and they will explain some of the mod functions.

Well, that is It guys. Enjoy the update, and expect a hotfix anytime soon. Not only I forgot to make Michelle exist for the other npcs and companions, but also there seems to be something wrong with Sardine's attack animation. So well... See ya. :D

Back
Top Bottom